“Unfortunately, I wouldn't go back” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free Night Offer
Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in Grasmere
cheshire
“Unfortunately, I wouldn't go back”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

The location of the hotel is excellent, we thoroughly enjoyed the village and all the surrounding beauty. However, we found the room to be terrible. Peeling paintwork, and overlooking a roof with barely any natural light.. It was fine after spending the day walking when all you care about is having a snooze, but I would have been extremely upset had I been planning a relaxing hotel break. It was a shame- it felt exactly like a bed sit when in the room. The staff were what I would describe as 'inflexible' and were really quite rude at times. The positives were the lovely sitting room with a log burner, and the location. I wouldn't return.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Laura M, Owner at Dale Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Hello,

Thank you for your feedback, I am sorry your room wasn't to your expectation. I have now inspected the room whilst we try our very best to do running repairs and maintenance throughout the year at very busy times it is not always possible to access the rooms but I have taken your comments on board and are endeavouring to bring the room up to speed. I am sorry you thought the staff were inflexible however I don't understand in what respect. We continue to monitor our staff training and it is always good to have comments to work upon.

Kind Regards,
Gillian Roberts

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Formby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

great place food second to none service is very very good tweedies bar very busy if you like real ale not to be missed staff are very welcoming and attentive and i say again food is great dont miss it

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dunswell
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

We have a had a great couple of days in Grasmere . As regular lakes visitors for walking its out favourite part of the country and never fails to please . Grasmere is a bit more tourist focused but still great .We ate in Tweedies which was nice but spoilt by the horrible guitar suicide folk music on a loop over and over again .

Dale Lodge was a nice hotel , though if brutally honest more bed and breakfast than hotel in a true sense . We had a standard room and it was a bit on the small side - but decorated really well with a good bathroom apart from my pet hate ( being only 5ft1inch tall ) - a fixed shower head , which bounced the water over my head completely.
I booked the hotel as I had not read the web site properly as thought it had on site spa and pool facilities - but despite this being on the home page of the web site - its actually another hotel ( which it does say) - just me not checking . So my vision of a cold day on the fells and a sauna were not to be - but hey ho !
But over all a small peave in what was a nice visit .

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

Really excellent, reception very warm and rooms really lovely with lots of towels, toiletries, tea etc. Disabled room for Mother was perfect and all staff were very friendly and interested in us.

Very good value, restaurant good, excellent breakfast, best Eggs Benedict ever, hope to come again soon

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Stamford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

We stayed in a Mews room for 3 nights in March for my wifes birthday (good offer of stay two nights and get the third free). Or mews room was very good with a comfortable bed and nice lounge area with a large flat-screen TV, with use of the hot-tub. Excellent powerful shower, with instant hot water. Breakfast in hotel was very good, with the hot breakfast cooked to order. Food and beer in the next-door Tweedies bar is also very good with a great atmosphere.

However we has few minor issues with our room, which were - 1. A light not working in the bathroom above the mirror - asked twice to seperate occasions to two different members of staff - Told on both times it would be sorted, which it wasn't. 2. Big gap round the door of our mews room (room 1) letting in a very cold draft. 3. The heating the mews room did take a long time to get warm. 4. Very poor WIFI in the mews rooms (barely detectable).

Unfortunately for us these small issues made me give the hotel just a 3 out of 5 rating.

Room Tip: Mews rooms are nice, with the added use of the hot-tub
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Laura M, Manager at Dale Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Hello,

Thank you for your feedback and I'm pleased that overall you were pleased with your stay.

I do apologise about the draft you felt from around the door- I was until now not aware of the issue but thank you for bringing it to my attention, I have now rectified the problem.
Unfortunately the area that we are located is not known for high speed wifi connections. We try our hardest to have wifi available for guests but the matter is out of my control and very weather dependent- I'd like to point out this is throughout the village not just here at Dale Lodge Hotel.
We have had a few comments about the light above the mirror in the Mews Suite- they are working perfectly but I understand are tricky to turn on. instructions are now placed by the light fitting to avoid any future confusion.
Thank you once again for your feedback and we hope to have rectified the problems.

Kind Regards,
Gillian Roberts
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013 via mobile

My partner Antony and I stayed at the Dale Lodge hotel in one of the Mews properties. When we arrived we were greeted by a very welcoming young lady that shown us to our accommodation and explained how the heating works and also explained about breakfast times etc and then left us to settle in. The mews are lovely, spotlessly clean units with a separate downstairs seating/Tv area. The bath is amazing, very deep and plenty of hot water available. We ate out at Tweedies, the food is unbeatable. Tweedies is a must if you visit gradmere. We have stayed at Grasmere 3 times now and the Dale Lodge mews is by far the best. The hot tub on the patio us amazing if not a little overlooked by neighbours. We would definitely recommend it and will stay again

• Stayed February 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

We have stayed at Dalelodge on a number of occasions and have never had any problems. The staff are always very friendly and welcoming. The hotel itself is lovely and very cosy.
Would recommend it to everyone. Tweedies bar and restaurant is very popular. The choice of real ales in the bar are fantastic whilst the food in the restaurant is excellent.

• Stayed March 2013

Been to Dale Lodge Hotel? Share your experiences!