“Amazing food, wonderful staff, perfect calm” 5 of 5 stars

Easedale, Grasmere LA22 9QN, England   |
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Grasmere
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Coventry, United Kingdom
“Amazing food, wonderful staff, perfect calm”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

All the reviews and photos just cannot do justice to how wonderful Lancrigg is. It has an atmosphere of calm which takes you over from the moment you arrive. I rarely feel at home in an unknown place but walking into Lancrigg was like walking into a perfect world of friendliness, peace and tranquility. The buildings, the grounds and the stunning situation contribute to this atmosphere, as do the fabulous staff who, without exception, did their utmost to make our stay as carefree and easy as possible. It really didn't feel like a holiday in the traditional sense but more of an unimaginably beautiful stay in a heavenly dream. And if all this wasn't enough, the meals were easily the most divine vegetarian food I have ever tasted in fifteen years of being vegetarian. The menu is inventive, varied, fresh and a real treat for any palate. Leaving after three days was such a wrench, it felt like leaving home. If you like peace, old world charm and a welcoming atmosphere I doubt you will find anywhere to top Lancrigg.

Room Tip: Everywhere is perfectly quiet here but to feel even more secluded choose a room at Kitty Crag and en...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
Tarporley
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

This is a lovely victorian or earlier house in a great country location with walks from the front door up on to Helm Crag or up past Easdale Tarn. There are lawns and seating in front of the house with lovely rural views contributing to a very relaxing atmosphere. We have stayed here twice separated by two years, and both times the food was excellent with a good choice of dishes. I am not vegetarian but the variety and presentation of the dishes meant it was no sacrifice to miss meat for a change. This applied to both breakfast and the evening meal.

The wine list was pricey but we were fortunate in that there were some bin ends available at reasonable rates, and which proved perfectly good.

If you are looking for a traditional victorian country house atmosphere in a lovely location, then I recommend the hotel.

Room Tip: We stayed in Nightingale which was booked through LateRooms. I wouldn't particularly recommend t...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Whitby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

I'm not vegetarian in fact I have extolled the virtues of meat to my vegetarian wife on many occasion!
However I have to say that I do know a great plate of food, I would like to think I'm not a slouch in the kitchen too, but when presented with food of this standard I recognise just how vain and lacking in talent I am.
When I get the chance to savour something from a new source I like to order something I otherwise would not eat, you know if I want curry I go to an Asian or indian restaurant so at a vegetarian restaurant I ordered food I wouldn't make myself. Horses for courses.
I would like to say what I had was spot on. So much flavour, the combinations of texture and flavour were so good that if only I could produce food of this standard myself or find it readily eating out I would convert to a vegetarian diet tomorrow!
Unfortunately not all vegetarian options are in this league so I will remain omnivorous for now but I am so looking forward to returning here for more excellent repast.

Room Tip: This house was frequented by the wordsworths, down to the gardens it is historic in extreme sleep wi...
Whitby
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

Having visited Lancrigg every year for the past six years just for lunch, when we arranged a last-minute spur of the moment trip I was so excited. For once, everything turned out to be as magical as I hoped. The house itself is steeped in character, sure it's not new and there are idiosyncrasies that could be improved upon, but this historical home is a wonderful source of inspiration. Everything about the attitude of the staff makes you feel as though you are welcome, and they were wonderful with my children, ages 5 and 6.
We stayed in the Booth Richardson room, had an amazing dinner and breakfast - I noted the clean plates at all tables, not just ours - and wandered around the gardens and landscape as though time no longer mattered. I would like to thank the owners and staff for working so hard to create an idyll and a respite from the crazy demands of modern life. Longing to return again already!

Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

Friendly and helpful staff, delicious food, a wonderful nights sleep, peaceful setting with fun walks - we walked both days but didn't venture into Grasmere, just ate in the vegetarian restaurant - it was the loveliest place I've stayed - the walk up to Helm Crag and Easedale Tarn start from the Hotel - perfect!

Room Tip: The lovely staff will advise!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Gothenburg, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

The location was perfect for us with a 10-15 minute walk to the charming little village of Grasmere. It has a close proximity to the starting points of a great many, easy to moderate difficulty, fell-walks and the close surroundings around Lancrigg are beautiful and tranquil.

We chose the "Dinner Bed&Breakfast" package which included a 3-course meal with coffee/tea. The food was absolutely excellent with a full menu of interesting organic, vegetarian dishes. They also offer, for example, gluten-free and vegan alternatives. The people of staff are very accomodating and it's possible to come with special requests.

It's a charming old house surrounded by nature, the calm, peace and quiet at night was quite an experience compared to the city life at home. The house is old and somewhat dated, which might not be appreciated by everyone but it has alot of soul and character. During our 5 day stay both our room and the public areas of Lancrigg were kept clean and tidy. The bed in our room was soft and very comfortable to sleep in.

We are a couple in the thirties from Sweden and we would definitely go back.

If you go to the Lake District it might be good to know that the buses are quite expensive and have limited timetables. (August 2013)

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Lancashire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

We have returned to the Lancrigg year after year. It provides a cosy, clean and relaxing environment. The truly lovely owners and staff always have a smile for you and nothing is ever too much trouble. The food is innovative and delicious and being a vegan, there is always lots of choice. We have been to the Lancrigg in all seasons, each offering a different experience, but all equally amazing with memorable views in a tranquil location hidden away in a quieter part of the Lake District. Only a 10 minute walk takes you into what in my opinion is the prettiest village in the Lakes, Grasmere and somewhat less busy with unique shops and cafes filled with charm and local characters...
When life is hectic, we pause, think a while and always come to the same conclusion.. we need look no further than a few days at the Lancrigg. As you enter the drive leading up to the charming property, deer can often be seen only a couple of metres away, the large old trees, and rolling river enchant you and before you know it, the stress of modern day life has vanished. '

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Been to Lancrigg Vegetarian Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!