“Relaxing” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Grasmere
Bedford, United Kingdom
“Relaxing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2011

We stayed over Easter for three days which felt like 7 days when we left. The Hotel is is an excellent location with fantastic views. Nothing was too much trouble for the staff who accommodated all your requests. The food was superb with the quality, selection and taste enough to satisfy the non-vegetarian of the party. We have already told people about this gem of a place and would definitely return.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
sunny cheshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2011 via mobile

There couldn't be a more perfect spot for this charming hotel. It has to be one of our favourite places to stay and 25 years from our first visit, just carries on getting better. The annex, Kitty Crag is a hidden gem in the woods. Just perfect.

• Stayed May 2011
Cambridge
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2011

Stayed here for one night and had a lovely time. We were lucky with the weather so saw everything bathed in sunlight (and a clear sky at night for star gazing).

The hotel is in an old building once favoured by the romantic poets and it's not hard to see why they found it an inspiration. Our room was on two levels with a modern bathroom downstairs and a county cottage style bedroom with four posted bed upstairs. A romantic atmosphere.

As a veggie, I enjoyed being able to choose anything from the menu and to know that it was all properly vegetarian. My partner enjoyed the food too though we both thought that the smallish dining room lacked a bit of atmosphere. The breakfast was imaginative and no vegetarian sausages in sight!

A good choice to relax away from the hustle and bustle of modern life and ideal for a short stay. Although the hotel is near to Grasmere tackling the walk in the dark would be a challenge. As an illustration of how good the service is, the owner took some of the diners home in his car after he discovered they had come up from the village without torches.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Glasgow
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2011

I found Lancrigg on Trip Advisor whilst planning a trip to Grasmere and being a Vegetarian I couldn't not try it. I was staying in another hotel in the Grasmere area, so this review is for the restaurant only. My mother and I enjoyed a leisurely stroll to Lancrigg (about 15mins walk from the centre) after being advised by a local person that there was no need to travel by car. When we arrived we thought the location was beautiful and we were greeted by Rob at the front door who was ever so welcoming and friendly, as were all the staff. Once in the restaurant the menu was extensive with plenty of choice of mains, starters and desserts. It was so difficult to choose! When each course arrived I was in veggie heaven! The servings were plentiful and cooked to perfection. My mother is not a veggie but she was amazed by the way that Lancrigg made veggie food appetising to the eye and the palate. Afterwards you feel nurtured and wholesome. When we were preparing to leave, Rob kindly offered to drive us back down to the town as the night had drawn in and we had foolishly walked without a torch (there is no street lighting on the road up to Lancrigg), we were ever so thankful! I enjoyed my time at Lancrigg so much I'm planning another trip to Grasmere and I will ensure I pay another visit. A massive thank you once again to Rob and all his staff for such wonderful food, hospitality and going that extra mile and taking us back to our hotel safely!

Room Tip: If you walk take a torch
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Llandysul, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2011

My wife and I spent 5 nights in Lancrigg and enjoyed everthing about it.
Until you stay at Lancrigg you cannot really appreciate the relaxing nature and ethos of this hotel .
The room was very clean, well appointed with a king size bed (excellent sleeps!) and an excellent view of Silver Howe.
The hotel is in easy walking distance from Grasmere where there are numerous shops .
The food served at the hotel is of good quality and presented well . Lunch on the lawn went down nicely !

Room Tip: Silver Howe room has the best view
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
mansfield, nottinghamshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2011

I've just spent a wonderful week at Lancrigg and thoroughly enjoyed my stay. First of all is the location; it couldn't be more perfect, right at the foot of Helm Crag and overlooking beautiful countryside. It is incredibly peaceful, having no through traffic and no streetlights. Then there is the food - fantastic, healthy and very tasty. I expected to get a set menu, as I was staying half board, but I got to choose from the al a carte, so there were around seven starter and main courses and every one of them delicious. It made such a difference to eat homemade, fresh, organic and nutritious food every day. I stayed in Nightingale, which was the perfect size room for me - my room was clean and cosy and I'm missing the lovely deep bath already! There was no shortage of very hot water, the room had tea/coffee making facilities as well as a TV with a DVD and video included. I had lovely clean towels and in answer to the critics re room cleaning - there is a sign that you can leave on the door saying that you're out on the fells, so please clean the room, so my room was serviced when I felt it needed to be. The rest of the hotel is gorgeous - lovely 'chill out' lounge with big soft settees, with a marvellous vista, and very nice dining room. Last but certainly not least, everyone made me feel very welcome - I spent some time chatting with Rob about recipes (please send me the Cauliflower and Brocolli soup one!) and Nikki, Anita and Marta couldn't have been more helpful - it's apparent that everyone works very hard to make sure guests are looked after. I came away from my holiday feeling thoroughly relaxed and healthy. Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2011

My partner and have never written a review before, but felt a need to state what a fantastic place this hotel truly is.
The owner Rob and his staff could not be faulted. The food choice was extensive and truly delicious.
The hotel surroundings and character enabled us instantly relax...in addition to our spa bath!
We loved our stay so much we changed our plans to stay a further night and certainly cannot wait to return.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Lancrigg Vegetarian Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!