“As good as the last time we went” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Oak Bank Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Grasmere
Oak Bank Hotel
You added Oak Bank Hotel to your Saves list
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Broadgate, Grasmere LA22 9TA, England   |
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Grasmere
UK
“As good as the last time we went”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

The main attraction of this small hotel is the food. Excellent breakfasts with wide choice of hot food. The dinners are fine dining at its best. Although the chef has recently changed the standards are the same. The scallops with cauliflower and a mild curry sauce was the best meal I have tasted for some time. The rooms are good but the main concern is that the showers in both rooms 6a and 11 had very poor water pressure. Suggest the owners invest in pumps for the system. However that is a niggle which would not stop us revisiting this hotel in a beautiful and relatively quiet part of the Lake District

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
Liverpool, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

I have to say that I agree with another reviewer about how unwelcome all the rules and notices are in this hotel's bedrooms about not doing this and that and not taking things home with you. I can understand that hoteliers may get fed up of guests taking things they shouldn't (I once worked with someone who told me that she always takes the hotels towels home with her!!), but please don't tar us all with the same brush. I also detected some curtness from the owners/staff and didn't feel the warmth that other visitors have felt. I also feel that the "balcony" needs a tidy up as really it's a roof of an extension rather than purpose made, but having said that it's nice to have the outside space from your bedroom. I also felt that guests weren't really welcome in the garden but I may have that wrong. I also like to have fresh towels every day in a hotel.

Don't worry, my review isn't all negative. The positives are that the hotel is in a prime position in a beautiful Lakeland village, the food is lovely with a good choice, the diningroom is attractive, the service is good, there's a good selection of wines and the coffee is the nicest I've had in a British hotel. Nothing more to be said really.

Vancouver, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

Firstly, I picked up Grasmere simply because it is located at the center of the Lake District, and it was perfectly right for hiking and visiting other spots. Secondly, I picked up this hotel from a travel guide book without any particular reason. As I was reading the reservation confirmation I was a kind of bothered a little bit for their requirement on dining, however, later when we had dinner I became to understand the reason. It was totally unexpectedly astonishing with the supreme quality of the entire meal. I strongly recommend trying to stay at Oak Bank Hotel.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Washington, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

This hotel provides you with a food experience you will rarely get, every single meal was prepared
and presented with thought and detail. We stayed for 3 nights and every night there was something different on. Though the room needed a little more attention this was more than outweighed by the food and of course to fabulous lake district.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Bromsgrove, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

We spent two nights at the hotel and it did not disappoint. The welcome was warm and homely, the food was fantastic as was the service. The rooms were comfortable and well furnished. We would highly recommend this hotel.

Warrington, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

I took my wife to Grasmere for her birthday,and what a great place to choose. After
reading the reviews on trip advisor,were pleased to say they were spot on. The hotel
itself is close to the centre with ample parking. The owners were very pleasant.
As we had left it late booking there was only 1 room available which was the small standard
room,but what the room lacked in size it made up for with the view. It was on the top floor
with views to the hills. But the best thing about the hotel was the dining. Not just the food but the whole experience,from being seated in the lounge with our drinks to peruse the ever
changing menu to the fantastic food.I can honestly say it compares with anywhere we have eaten anywhere in the world.I would certainly recommend it to anyone and as `Arnie`would say
"I`ll be back"

St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

We spent 4 nights here half board in May. We used to stay at the Youth Hostels in our student days, so this was quite a step up! The double rosette for food was what really attracted our attention, and it certainly did not disappoint. What a choice of menu for breakfast, not to mention beautifully designed and tasty dinners, in lovely surroundings. Our hosts were very pleasant, as was all the staff, and the location was perfect for our planned hikes with no car. Unfortunately the weather was less than stellar, but we enjoyed our visit nonetheless. The room was very cosy and quiet, with views over the pretty back garden and out to the fells. Definitely recommended.

Room Tip: We had Room 7 on the top floor, with the best views. Cost a little more, and no lift, so beware if y...