“Name confusion?” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #23 of 37 Restaurants in Grasmere
Cuisines: Coffee Shop, English
Dining options: Breakfast, Dessert, Lunch
Description: The Miller Howe Cafe is a traditional cafe which celebrates the 'back to basics' approach. Having recently undergone refurbishment, the interior is a wonderfully relaxed environment where you can enjoy traditional, home-cooked fare. From the quiche of the day to an array of jacket potatoes or homemade cakes - there is something for everyone!
Conwy, United Kingdom
“Name confusion?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

As with some other reviewers, we too visited assuming it was linked to the hotel/restaurant, and reading the reviews I can clearly see I was wrong. Unlike some of those reviews I was not off put by the decor or the coffee, both were fine. It was also spotlessly clean.

• Visited March 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
queensheadtroutbeck, Manager at Miller Howe Cafe, responded to this review, March 22, 2014
Thanks for your review. It is great to hear that you enjoyed the decor and coffee.

Keswick, United Kingdom
“Salad is good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2014 via mobile

Came here in a sunny day around 3pm and the place was a little quiet which was great as we beat the lunch time rush..

Had a good look at the menu and was looking to find fish and chips or burger and chips but instead found a much healthier looking menu... This was a great change from the other menus around the area..

Had a salmon muffin type thing with a fried egg and salad and my partner had a baked potato and the food was absolutely Devine... Reasonable price too!!!

Thanks Miller Howe..

• Visited February 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
queensheadtroutbeck, Manager at Miller Howe Cafe, responded to this review, March 8, 2014
We pride ourselves on serving fresh, home-cooked, old-fashioned style food - and we believe that means every dish doesn't have to come with chips! Great to hear how much you enjoyed the food on your recent visit!
Kendal, United Kingdom
“Brilliant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2014

I went to miller Howe cafe last week with my family, the service was brilliant as well as the food. Great coffee and I'll definitely go again!

Thanks JSBla! Great comments like yours keep the smiles on our faces!
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Disappointing experience from cafe with promising name.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

Having assumed this was an offshoot of the wonderful Miller Howe hotel I decided to treat myself. I shouldn't have bothered. On entering , I was disappointed by the clinical minimalist decor and the fact that it was counter service, but decided to give it a go. I ordered a cappuccino and a coffee cake. The coffee looked and tasted like it had come out of a vending machine and into a tiny thick white mug, such as you might get in a B and B . The cake had seen better days- dry and stale, with icing that was cracked. The staff were friendly although I think they should have their coffee break out of sight of customers . On the plus side there was wifi. To be honest, I've had better at a motorway service station. What a shame!

• Visited March 2014
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
queensheadtroutbeck, Manager at Miller Howe Cafe, responded to this review, March 7, 2014
The coffee machine is a fully automated, state of the art coffee machine which serves coffee to an excellent standard. We buy coffee locally from a firm called Farrers who pride themselves on quality. As a coffee drinker myself, I feel that I am quite a good judge when it comes to coffee and maybe it is not to your flavour, but we can't get much more locally roasted beans from a local firm.
The cafe is not minimalistic, it is clean fresh and well kept. And that's what we are - a cafe! We sell rolls, cakes and traditional home fare. We are exactly what we say on our menu and what our prices should show people and dictate to them. If you want waitress service and the old-fashioned country house style of cake and coffee, that's where you need to go to and that's what you need to pay for. Thanks for your comments.
Ormskirk, United Kingdom
“Excellent cup of coffee on a cold morning”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014 via mobile

We needed a pick-up from the cold, wet weather, and this cafe provided it. Splendid selection of cakes to have with a good cup of coffee. Friendly, helpful staff. Heating only partly on - could have done with being a bit warmer, but a good experience.

Visited February 2014
queensheadtroutbeck, Manager at Miller Howe Cafe, responded to this review, February 17, 2014
Thanks for your comments - we are glad we managed to pick you after from the cold and wet. We are trying to perfect our rain dance, but it hasn't paid off yet!