“lovely” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in Grasmere
Wigan, United Kingdom
“lovely”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

Just spent three night at the Wordsworth hotel on dinner b&b stayed in one of the rooms overlooking the village and was worth the extra cost. They have several public rooms decorated to a high standard and very peaceful. Can't say the room are big but it was comfortable, the bathroom was very high end. No problems with heating in fact had to turn it down even though it was very cold [snow]. The staff were brillient very polite and helpful. [best that I have met!] the food was very good with plenty of choice and loads of it. You would not go hungry there. We used the swimming pool and jaccuzi. Changing rooms very clean towels supplied at reception. Can't say much about the spa because did not try it, [I prefer to have a separate spa area] I felt that the hotel was very good value for money. I rated the room and breakfast four stars because I felt that there could be a better selection of cereals at breakfast and the room was smaller then I expected but otherwise enjoyed my stay there.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
GrasmereWordsworth, General Manager at The Wordsworth Hotel, responded to this review, January 11, 2013
Dear dot_mc, Thank you so much for such a great review. Good feedback regarding breakfast choice and we will see what we can do to improve the choice. I do look forward to seeing you back in the future. With kind regards, Geraldine.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
Barrow-in-Furness, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

Stayed for one night on 24th November 2012. Had a wonderful stay in the Woodrow Wilson Suite. Beautful room with great views.Had a lovely meal in the restaurant, all staff very attentive and courteous. Didn't use the pool and gym but facilities appeared to be excellent. Will definitely be staying again and would recommend to anyone wishing to spend sometime in the picuresque village of Grasmere.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Janice T, Thank you so much for your time in completing your feedback, further to your stay with us. The Woodrow Wilson suite is one of my favourites too! I do hope we will be seeing you again at the hotel in the future. With kind regards, Geraldine.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012 via mobile

Check in was fast and friendly everything reasonsbly priced staff member Jerry showed us to our room and was the nicest person we have ever met - nothing was too much throught the evening that he did for us (we ate in the restaurant too which was amazing) lovely pre Christmas geek break :-))))) xx

• Stayed December 2012
GrasmereWordsworth, General Manager at The Wordsworth Hotel, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Dear ClaDennis, Thank you so much, we are all so glad you stayed with us. Jerry, of course is delighted and also thanks you personally. Hope to see you again soon, Kindest regards Geraldine.
Sunderland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

We arrived on Friday 30th November for my daughter's wedding weekend.
The service and attention to detail was superb throughout.
All the guests in our party complimented the rooms and the stunning location.
Catalin and the team at the hotel worked hard to make sure we all had a wedding occasion to remember.

Many of our party are planning to visit again.

Well done to all at the Wordsworthh hotel!

Room Tip: If you can push the boat out then go for a suite. They are beautiful and well worth it!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear Fred G, An absolute pleasure to look after you all. Thank you for choosing The Wordsworth for this very special day. Kindest regards, Geraldine.
UK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

My boyfriend and I had a weekend in the Lakes planned to celebrate our anniversary. Staying in a nice hotel with a spa was all part of the luxury planned for the weekend. We paid more for a superior room in this hotel.

I think it is safe to say that the way the hotel is positioned on it's website is very misleading. The hotel looks tired and shabby and the hotel room we had had absolutely no resemblance to the luxury 4 poster bed we expected (and was shown).

The room was small, incredibly dated and cold as the radiators weren't working. The bathroom had clearly been recently renovated, but the wet room style was so cold it was a horrible room to be in.

The staff at the reception were pretty rude, when I mentioned the radiators it seemed like it was a bother to them. On checking out, when I was asked if I had enjoyed my stay, I was honest, and explained that the hotel and room was far from advertised. They acknowledged my concerns and explained that my so called 'upgraded room' was one of the rooms not renovated. They did give me a discount on the room but to be honest the way in which the whole stay panned out, I would not recommend it at all.

Oh, and the spa.... I can't really comment on it as despite paying a premium for a spa hotel in the Lakes, we did not use it as it looked a bit naff and dingy.

There are better hotels than this!

Room Tip: do not bother upgrading
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
GrasmereWordsworth, General Manager at The Wordsworth Hotel, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
Dear shopaholic_79, Thank you for taking the time to prepare and post your review, following your stay with us. I am sorry that you were not happy with your experience with us. Our rooms are graded mainly on views and although we have refurbished 90% of our bedrooms there are some which are due for work this Winter. The room you were in is designated as a superior room mainly due to the Village View it offers, but I totally take on board your feedback regarding supplemented rooms versus expectation. If you would like to discuss your specific stay with me directly, please do not hesitate to contact me here at the hotel. With kind regards, Geraldine.
Oakham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

There we were driving to the Wordsworth for a wedding when we realised we had left my husbands DJ at home. We called the hotel to ask for places we could hire, the manager, quickly asked for measurements and on arrival 1 hour later we were met with a choice of DJ attire from his own wardrobe. That says it all they could n't have been more accommodating. The food was excellent and the beds extremely comfortable. We were only in a basic room but it had a 5 star bathroom and great furnishings. Lots of lovely cosy places to sit and enjoy the views or log fires. No need for the hotel inspector here they are ahead of the game.

Room Tip: we were in the cheaper rooms which were excellent but no view, we were happy as not spending much ti...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Michelle G, Thank you so much for taking the time to prepare and post your review of your experience with us. I hope we will be able to welcome you back to the hotel in the future. With kind regards, Geraldine.
Truro, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

We had promised ourselves a few days at this hotel for a few years so when the opportunity arose, we had high expectations.
The decoration of the public rooms and the bedrooms was of a very high standard as was the comfort of the beds and general upholstery. The Spa comprised a pool, a sauna,and a whirlpool, the former were as you would expect, the latter was cool and pathetic. There was singular shortage of non slip matting in the pool areas, change rooms, and our bathroom, a source of worry for people no longer in their prime.
The letdown was the much vaunted Signature Restaurant, the service was erratic and obsequious, the menu was varied but more attention was paid to presentation than quality of the product, on the two occasions we ate there the meat was overcooked and the vegetables undercooked, and the wine was overpriced. The ambiance on both evenings was compromised by a party of 10 whose conversation dominated the dining room. Sadly breakfast also left much to be desired,bacon that had been precooked and kept warm and presented as dried leather and accompanied with burnt toast. There was one saving grace on the culinary scene, one can dine in the Bistro, here the food is recognisable for what it is, is beautifully cooked and is served
by nice people.
We gave it a good try, we'll not bother again!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear ic0n0clast, thank you for taking the time to prepare your feedback for us. I am sorry your stay with us was not up to your anticipated expectation. We have made some improvements to our pool area over the months of October and November, upgrading our whirlpool to a much more powerful jacuzzi and sourcing new and additional mats for the area. I am particularly sorry you did not enjoy dining with us - we are very careful to source local, high quality produce and I am concerned to hear of your experience. Therefore I would like to assure you that your feedback is very important to me in order to improve our service and standards. With kind regards, Geraldine.

Been to The Wordsworth Hotel? Share your experiences!