Restaurant at Lancrigg Vegetarian Country House Hotel
Dining options: Reservations
chennai
“Yum :)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

The 3 course choices, plating and the service :)
All the meals were wonderful, and served in hatted restaurant quality.

Visited August 2012

Edinburgh
“A wonderful birthday meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

We returned to Lancrigg for a 50th birthday family meal last weekend and weren't disappointed. We stayed here for my husband's 40th birthday & decided to return to Grasmere ten years on. Although we didn't stay at Lancrigg this time we were delighted to eat in the restaurant. As a family of vegetarians it is wonderful to have such a choice of delicious food. It is a little pricey but we enjoyed everything that we ate. We paid comparable amounts at other restaurants in the area for a very limited range of veggie options of a much poorer quality. The hotel is in a beautiful location and feels a little remote in the dark. The walk back to Grasmere was quite an adventure- thank goodness for the torch app on our I-phones! We will definitely be back at Lancrigg (hopefully sooner that the 60th birthday!).

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Durham, United Kingdom
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

I had dinner in the hotel restaurant over the August BH weekend. I travel the world extensively and eat at vegan restaurants on a regular basis. I found Lancrigg to be dull and old fashioned in the food they served, not to mention over priced.

I mentioned on several occasions that I required vegan and wheat-free food, but my starter still arrived with sourdough bread on it and had to be sent back. I chose the falafel for my starter and found it tasted overwhelmingly of mint. My main course was a puy lentil shepherd's pie. It was very under-seasoned, came with a measly portion of steamed veg, and tasted overwhelmingly of celery. For desert I chose the chocolate, toffee nut sundae. The waitress told me it was layers of ice-cream, cream, toffee, nuts and biscuit. I was presented with a glass of melted ice-cream with no sign of toffee, nuts or biscuit, but plenty of ice-crystals. I left most of it - there is nothing more unpleasant than melted ice-cream. The meal came to £30 (not including drinks). It was certainly not worth this. The food was average to say the least, and very over-priced for the quality.

Wheat or dairy must have gotten into my meal at some point because I was sick as a dog the next morning. This infuriates me when you clearly state that you are vegan and wheat-free when booking and when ordering your chosen dishes.

Lazy, dull food with a lack of imagination. Could do much, much better.

• Visited August 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Buntingford, United Kingdom
“Unexpected treasure”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

Afte a hike up to easdale tarn we came across this wonderful hidden treasure. I cannot express how beautiful the grounds are and how friendly the staff were. We also asked to look around the rooms while we there and we're equally impressed. Food reasonably priced (all veg) and very imaginative. Will definitely return.

Visited July 2012
Carmarthen, United Kingdom
“Fantastic veggie food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

Not sure what the other reviewers are on about but all I can say that the two evening meals we had were excellent. A litttle expensive but the quality and choice of dishes are surberb.

• Visited August 2011