“Great Beer Great Food Great Rooms Fantastic Staff” 5 of 5 stars

Coppermines Road | Yewdale Road, Coniston LA21 8HL, England   |
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Coniston
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Great Beer Great Food Great Rooms Fantastic Staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

Well what can I say Room clean and tidy, Nice size I see other people complaining about ceilings and floors being low and not level, it is an old building and not the Ritz. Being a travelling salesman I have stayed in better, with no character boaring staff and plain food. Here you get normal well prepared fresh food not all spiced up and sauces everywhere, I can recommend the Haddock, Gammon and cumberland sausage the portions are huge. Over the years we have got to know Spencer the head chef and he takes no prisoners, all the food is freshly prepared and cooked, so when they are busy it tends to take a while, given you more time to sample the selection of real ales all brewed on the premises. The bar Staff Mark, Merick, Lorraine and Michelle and Les the manager are great and the banter that goes on would make a good comedy show, don't get me wrong they are professional but enjoy themselves while working, something you do not see a lot of these days.
We have been going to Coniston twice a year for 7 years and always end up at The Black Bull after tyring all the other pubs The prices are just Lake District prices not Expensive no different to anywhere else in the lakes. The pub is ideal for walking cycling or just touring around.

In conclusion if you want the Ritz and fancy messed about with food, well go to the Ritz.

If you want a good old Pub/Hotel with good food and great beer then in my opinion the Black Bull is the place to go, we will be back in March, I think the staff should all have a pay rise as the place would not be the same without them.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Kendal, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

A long-established family-run business in the heart of The Lakes, quality of service and product is second to none; the range of excellent home-brewed beers is comprehensive, from the beautiful smooth oatmeal stout, the Bluebird bitters and the two lagers, and the potentially dangerous 9% barley wine (recent winner of the 'Beer of Britain' award), the range caters to all tastes. The friendly, welcoming staff add to the ambience of the place, the food is excellent, a must-visit location if you're doing Cumbria !

Longridge, Lancashire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

When we are away in the motorhome we eat out quite regularly. Consequently we cannot afford top of the range eating every time. Sometimes it is nice to be able to have a glass of decent beer and a plate of no nonsense comfort food. Having perused the menu at another hostelry nearby we decided that such offerings were far too expensive so we settled on the Black Bull.

This is a real ale paradise with most of the beer made on site. This is not a pub for lager drinkers unless you enjoy the real scandinavian/germanic experience. I am a real ale fan but strangely Coniston Brewery beers have never quite hit the spot with me. I do not know why this is as they are clearly of high quality. Well I seem to have found the answer, I tried the Special Oatmeal Stout and it was wonderful.

My wife and I both had the Cumberland Sausage which was very satisfying and filling and for less than a tenner good value.

The only problem with this pub is that on busy days, and there are many of these in this attractive little town, this place very quickly fills up, particularly around evening meal time. If you can be more flexible it might be advantageous as they do serve food all day. As for drinking no problem just stand and work your way though the range on offer, although you will only be able to drink the barley wine in small glasses!

Taunton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

Fantastic location with the bonus of a brewery on site. Coniston Brewery makes a great pint and has won camra champion beer of Britain twice. Food good and breakfast is very good. Plenty to eat and attentive landlady and staff. Would recommend.

• Stayed September 2012
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

A pub / hotel that features the excellent Coniston Brewing Co. Beers, and on my visit they'd just won the Champion Beer of GB for their 'No.9 Barley Wine'. Clearly they excel at beer and any visitor should consider this before booking (to me it's a real advantage!).

We ate in the pub 2 nights, and I had the Vegetarian option both evenings and they were excellent (the nut roast was spectacular). Breakfast was quick and filling with extra toast and coffee.

The room was fine, if a little bland in decor, and some of the ceilings can be very low in an old building like this.

It's location is really good for anyone doing any cycling, with plenty of quite roads and plenty of climbs not far - and a car park right behind the pub.

Prices are very much 'lake district' prices, but they do cheap deals on 3 week nights etc.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Halifax, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

I have just had to check out as my room was very poor the ensuite was archaic and was in need of refurbishment 20yrs ago. MATTERS WERE MADE WORSE AS I HAD BOOKED THROUGH A WEBSITE and was told I must ring them before I could check out as I had originally booked for a full week. As the wifi was not working I was unable to contact them and ended up paying 280.00 for just 2 nights. Hotel shabby and scruffy a definite hotel to miss!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
thomas603, Manager at Black Bull Inn and Hotel, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
Firstly let me say how sorrywe are that this guest feels such dissatifaction with us,but i feel the situation deserves to be clarified.
The booking was faxed through to us as a 7 night stay,at a cost of £110.00 per night for the friday and saturday,then £60.00 per night for the remainder 5 nights bringing a total of £520.00.
On the first morning i enquired if her room and everything was ok and she said yes,but she had not realised how far coniston was from ambleside (7 miles) where she had family staying for the week and she was not used to these roads as her husband normally drove but this time she was on her own.
I asked her if she would like a back door key in case she arrived back late and gave her my mobile number to ring at any time day or niight in case of car breakdown (which she said was very kind)

On the sunday morning she said she wished to dheck out,because of the distance travelling back at night .
I then advised her she would have to contact Booking . com as she made the booking through them and they would charge commission on the full amount unless she amended her booking
which we can not do ,as there policy is full payment unless cancelled with 7 days notice.
We do have Wi Fi which is free to residents and non residents,although because of the area
it can be patchy.

Booking . com then contacted us and said if we agreed to the change they would only charge

commission on the 2 nights which we agreed to with no hesitation.

Once again we must emphasise that our customerswell being is always paramount and feel that we did our best in a situation not of our making.

I did offer her a different room which she refused.

We have a rolling refurbishment policy at the Black Bull and at least 2 bedrooms are fully refurbished every winter as will happen this year
Kent
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

We stopped here for lunch after a hike around Coniston. We sat outside with our dog. The seating area outside is comfortable and shady, great for people watching in the street. The bar staff were very welcoming and friendly. We liked the choice of local ales, and the bar staff were able to recommend ones to try. The food was lovely, very generous portions and proper, off the bone ham in the ham sandwiches....loads of it too! We will definitely be going back.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Black Bull Inn and Hotel? Share your experiences!