“A memorable dining experience…...” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 55 restaurants in Cockermouth
Cuisines: English, French, Italian, British
Good for: Entertaining clients
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: The Honest Lawyer Restaurant provides a fusion of French Italian influenced English style cuisine. Cooked fresh on the premises by our chefs using ingredients that are locally produced and sources and served with a wide range of wines from around the world, beers ,spirits ,liquors and soft drinks etc.
Windermere, United Kingdom
“A memorable dining experience…...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014 NEW

I visited the restaurant during the first weekend of June. I'd heard of it from a few friends in Windermere, and read the reviews. My experience far exceeded my expectation.
The location in itself offers you a choice - of a riverside view or a smart casual ambience inside. We opted for the latter, as we wanted a little privacy. We ordered the fish cakes and chicken terrine for starters. The portions were generous, and where the fish cakes are concerned, I have to admit that the chef had perfected the balancing act of producing a dish that was both delicate and hearty at the same time. The chicken terrine was delightful, as it was not a gelatin-based one, and hence more 'toothsome'.
Our main course of duck, was superb. I've never been a big fan of duck - but this dish made me change my opinion. But then, I guess it was the way it was cooked and not the duck itself that made the impression. Though full, we wanted to try dessert - and we are so glad we did. We had the Tiramisu and white chocolate parfait, and it was one of those savor-each-mouthful experiences where you wanted to remember each micro-texture and taste.
The ambience added to the experience, as the decor had enough color to be warm yet was uncluttered. I found the little touches in the restrooms charming.
Next to the food, I'd say the staff are the restaurant's biggest asset - the service was genuine - none of the instant plastic smiles and mechanical ushering motions here.
I'd definitely visit this place again and recommend it to anyone who is looking out for excellent, flavorsome five-star food in a casual ambience - without ripping a hole in your pocket.
My warm wishes to the chef and service team, and I hope they continue to do what they are doing now - giving their guests the best. Mrs. Joseph

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

93% Recommend
“Honest indeed”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

Genuine welcome from attentive staff. Interesting location and atmosphere. Tasty dishes nicely presented. Both quality and quantity good. Good value for money.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Congleton, United Kingdom
“The Perfect Meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

I visited here with 3 friends, as we were away on a girls weekend.

The staff were very welcoming when we entered the restaurant & we were shown into the bar area, where we were seated whilst they took our drinks order & gave us the menu. We ordered our food whilst in the bar area & when it was ready to be served we were taken to our table in the restaurant.

The restaurant was modern & clean with a lovely atmosphere, & the tables were set up beautifully.

Nothing is too much trouble for the staff & there is always someone available if you need anything. The waiters came over a few times whilst we were eating to check everything was OK & to see if we needed anything.

The food is lovely. I had gnocchi to start, followed by the steak with peppercorn sauce. All my friends said their food was delicious too.

I would definitely recommend this restaurant. The service is brilliant, the food very tasty, the restaurant modern & clean.

I will definitely visit again should I find myself in Cockermouth again.

george c, Owner at Honest Lawyer, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear Bexster78
Thank you so much for such a lovely review, it was a pleasure to have you and your friends at our restaurant
we re glad you have enjoyed coming to our restaurant
and have found everything to your liking
I ll pass your appreciation to our team
Do visit us when you are in cockermouth again
Thanking you
Buckland Monachorum, United Kingdom
“Faultless!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2014

Just, wow. We met some colleagues here for a business meal on a Saturday evening and I was so impressed with everything.

Firstly, the staff are exceptional. Friendly, polite, well presented and knowledgeable. They were not ever-present but checked in with us and made sure we had everything we needed without being clingy/lurking! They are very professional, and the chef is very talented. The meal itself was lovely. Good sized portions without being over large, and at good value. The wine was very good and the whole party thoroughly enjoyed everything!

The situation and atmosphere are wonderful; it is hard to believe that it was underwater three years ago as the restaurant is immaculately presented but still retained the charm of an older building.

The attention to detail is very, very good. Water was already poured for us at the table, wine offered for taste test, hand made sweets with tea/coffee, roses and hand-cream in the toilets...the things you don't think about, but when they are there they make a difference.

This is the best meal out I have had in a long while, and though we visited a number of very good and highly commendable establishments in Cockermouth, this is my favourite and one that I will not hesitate to recommend. Oh, and the name is pretty good too!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
george c, Owner at Honest Lawyer, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear Shnoowie
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our restaurant.
It was a pleasure to have you at the Honest Lawyer.

I am glad you chose our restaurant for your Business meeting. I would let my team know about all the good comments and appreciation. We are lucky to have a very lovely bunch of well trained staff.
Looking forward to seeing you again at the Honest Lawyer

Thanking you
“Wow wow wow!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014

Just left the Honest Lawyer and super impressed! We both had the pigeon starter and my colleague then had the lamb and I had the salmon! Food exceptional! Bottle of red superb and cognac to finish with the cheese board! Waitress absolutely brilliant - this place is a little diamond and very reasonable on the wallet!