“Recommended for a reason” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 58 Restaurants in Cockermouth
Cuisines: Gastropub
Good for: Families with children, Outdoor seating
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Description: The Castle Bar is set out over three floors. The downstairs is the main bar area,which has three separate large screen tv's for the sports enthusiasts. The main bar has 5 real ales on tap and has been awarded by CAMRA The 1st floor is two separate dining areas, one of which overlooks the old Market Place. The 2nd floor is the lounge area, which hosts a number of comfy chairs to relax. Tucked outside at the rear is the outside terraced garden area. The Castle Bar is dog friendly.
“Recommended for a reason”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013 via mobile

Well I start by arriving here by way of a recommendation. The hotel I was staing in which I will review later didn't have the menus to my tastes so I decided to take up the recommendation.

Anyway they have a good beer selection. And all at reasonable prices.

Menu was really good and I could have spent a week here having something I wanted different everyday.

I ordered a nice starter of chicken in a chili white wine sauce that arrived quicker than I have waited for McDonnalds. Not a good sign in my eyes until I tasted it. It was lovely. Side salad had a dressing on it was lovely and the small disk of chicken was beautifull. My only gripe was the chicken pieces could have been smaller but that's me being picky where I could not find fault

Main course arrived and I went for the steak pie. So bleeding glad I did as it was superb. In face it was ( insert expletive) superb. Chips were nice and the veg was spot on.

Staff deserve a mention. They were very polite and very polite and attentive.

I'm normally very critical of places but this was on the dot perfect.

A definite place I would recommend and come back to.

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Ormskirk, United Kingdom
“SUPERB”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

Gorgeous meal lovely renovated 15th century building a real gem in a lovely part of the west lakes, cockermouth suffored in the floods but its really upped its game. tre bon

Visited May 2013
Carlisle
“Very Poor Meal”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

This was the worst meal out I've had in a long time. Starter was very good, but the main was very poor. My rare steak was very well cooked, to be fair the staff replaced it with another, which was medium at best. But most disappointing was the meat its self. There was lots of gristle, in both mine and my wifes, and very little taste and quite tough. When I went to pay I mentioned this and there was some money knocked off the bill, but it still cost me the neck end of £40 for what was a really poor meal. I won't be visiting again.
The staff were great, perhaps apart from the Chef!

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Workington, United Kingdom
“Never fails to please!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

We are lucky enough to live near enough to the Castle Bar to go regulalry. The restaurant is great, but if you have the choice ask to sit in the front, the back room can be a bit dark. The food is always great, as is the service. My daughter would sell her soul for the Tempura Chicken! I would recommend booking to make sure you can get a table.

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Great night out”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

Visited last month and loved castle car! Staff friendly and lovely building. I had chicken in batter with a lovely spicy sauce and the pancakes with chocolate are yum. Will be returning again soon!

• Visited April 2013