“Excellent stay at The Rysdale, Ambleside” 5 of 5 stars

The Rysdale
4.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   Rothay Road, Ambleside LA22 0EE, England   |
Ranked #34 of 84 Ambleside B&B and Inns
York, United Kingdom
“Excellent stay at The Rysdale, Ambleside”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

My wife & I stayed at The Rysdale in Ambleside last Thursday night and will certainly book in there again. Allan made us feel very welcome. The room was very clean & comfortable & the breakfast was lovely. The Rysdale is well located with a wide choice of restaurants & pubs within 2 minutes walk and I would recommend it to anyone. Great value for money.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Freshwater, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

My partner and I stayed here on route to The Highlands..and extended Our stay by a night. A wonderful, warm welcome. This is My fifth stay in Ambleside and by far My favourite to date. A Home from Home...clean, friendly, great breakfast, helpful...can not find fault..will be back next year...Thankyou for a fantastic start to Our Holiday.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

The single room was poor, as was the shower room (which was seperate i.e. not en-suite).
The bed itself was unconfortable, and not pleasant.
However, the only thing that allowed this B&B to get an Average rating, was the fact that the Host was great as were the Breakfasts.
Nothing else I can say.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
agacumbria, Owner at The Rysdale, responded to this review, November 18, 2012
We are very disappointed to read your comments. When all our guests are leaving they are always asked if they have enjoyed their stay and if everything has been to their satisfaction.You obviously chose not to say anything whilst you were with us. You mention that your bed was uncomfortable but you do not say for what reason. Too soft?. With regards to cleanliness we find your comment totally unacceptable as we clean the rooms ourselves and know that they are always cleaned to a high standard as noted by other Trip Advisor members and Visit Britain inspectors. Also, that particular single room is furnished with high quality solid English light Oak furniture with a new carpet. Yes, the private bathroom is seperate but is always clearly advertised as being so. Maybe an en-suite double room would have been more to your liking?. We are pleased that you enjoyed our extensive breakfast menu. Dianne and Allan.
Nozawaonsen-mura, Japan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

I was satisfied to stay here for four nights.The owner Allan had got a warm atmospher.I could change my breakfast everyday and all fantastic.The location is very close to Ambleside bus stop.You don't need a car like me from Japan.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Glasgow
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Stayed here for two nights on 26th&27th October for a weekend break. The B&B is ideally situated just opposite the pitch and putt and in short you have no real need for your car once there.Everything is within walking distance. We stayed in the triple room which was a good size and lovely and cosy considering the cold weather we encountered on our visit. The B&B owners were very welcoming and genuine. I had the best sleep ever in the bed, which has great as I suffer from bad back. The bathroom was a shower room but really all you need for a break of this length. Breakfast is between 8.30 and 9.00, which appears par for the course for most of the B&B I've stayed in during my visits to Ambleside but a long lie would have been nice on at least one of the mornings (though in fareness I never asked). Breakfast as lovely and provided a proper vegetarian option and not just a Full English minus the meat. Excellent value for money and would defintely visit again. I would also recommend the meal deal at the local cinema which includes two courses plus your cinema ticket all for £18.95pp excellent value.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Manchester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

Friendly welcome, impeccable service, comfy room and delicious breakfast made my stay extremely enjoyable. I was with 4 friends and we all felt the same. The rooms are beautifully appointed, clean and comfortable. The breakfast buffet is well stocked with cereals, fruit and juice. The menu for cooked breakfast options is varied and extensive.

• Stayed October 2012
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012 via mobile

Having stayed here 5yrs ago, when my wife & I planned to renew our wedding vows in Kendal, I had no hesitation in suggesting we spend the week at Rysdale. My wife, who had never been to the Lake District, checked the reviews on this site. I was absolutely amazed that there were any negatives and assured my wife that they were very misleading.
We booked room 9 which is delightful. It's on the top floor & has the most amazing views. Dianne & Allan were very helpful from the time of booking until the time we left. The rooms are spotless & have pretty much everything we needed for our stay: shower gel, hand wash, shampoo, hair drier, fresh towels every day, flat screen tv, tea/coffee making facilities etc.
When we returned from our ceremony, we were greeted with a card, a bottle of Champagne & 2 glasses in our room.
Breakfast was perfect every day. My Father-in-law was unable to make the holiday for the week but managed to drive from Sheffield on the morning of our service. Allan was very accommodating and made him a full English breakfast when he arrived (even though it was after the allotted breakfast time)......top man!
Although there is no car park attached to Rysdale, it really isn't a problem. There's parking very close by for loading/unloading. Allan gave us a pass to display that allowed us to park for 1hr. This restriction is only between 10am & 6pm so caused no problems on the days we went out driving. For the days we didn't use the car, Allan supplied us with a permit for a car park about 2min walk away (hardly a long way for walkers). These permits, that the proprietors purchase, allowed us to leave the car there for as long as we needed.
I'm glad to say, my wife is as hooked as I am & we look forward to going back again in the very near future.

• Stayed October 2012

Been to The Rysdale? Share your experiences!