“Lovely outside Great location” 3 of 5 stars

Ambleside Lodge
4.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   Ambleside LA22 0EJ , England   |
Ranked #76 of 84 Ambleside B&B and Inns
Coventry, United Kingdom
“Lovely outside Great location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2012

Lovely hotel from outside a bit dark in reception, room was cold and a bit small for price. Room was clean bright and airy. We were getting a bathroom with jacuzzi no! jacuzzibath not the same. Town less than 5 minute walk lovely place moutains everywhere, nice quiet park very closeby.

Room Tip: Lovely clean quiet room a bit small for the price. We arrived at 10.30 it was cold outside and not...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2012

What a place! A touch of affordable luxury. 4 poster bed, jacuzzi, what more could you ask for?
The room was clean and tidy and the bed comfortable. All this at a B&B!
The owner, Penny, was friendly and chatty and a keen walker herself, able to advise us on many local, hidden walks that are not always in the guide books.
The only downside was the TV didn't get all the channels, which was explained to us that the mountains hereabouts caused signal black-spots and all the TV's were affected. That said, who comes to the Lake district to sit in front of the telly, could have stayed home for that!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2012

My wife and I stayed for four nights, (14th-17th May '12 ). The staff were warm and friendly and the Breakfast's were plentiful and tasty. Our room was big, clean and warm with a very comfortable double-bed, and overlooked the hills above Ambleside. We had a T.V., hairdryer and Coffee, Tea and Hot Chocolate making facilities. The En-Suite bathroom had a Jacuzzi, wash-basin and a smaller room attached with Toilet and Shower. The building is Victorian, and retains all of the charm expected. The interior is tastefully decorated and newly carpeted. We will return.

Room Tip: Book well in advance, request an upstairs room and supply an E-Mail address for your booking confirm...
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2012 via mobile

Cold, unfriendly entrance. Person on front desk not friendly at all. Atmosphere was univiting and somewhat creepy! Room was okay, but nothing special. We noted the lack of heat throughout th building- a money saving strategy no doubt. Breakfast was served in a basement with no windows- very odd indeed and not a pleasant atmosphere once again. Tinned mushrooms served - a mistake when charging £120. Would I stay here again? Definitely not.

• Stayed June 2011
Sunderland, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2012

I found the lodge on the internet it looked very impressive. Telephoned the owner to check out the special offers which were advertised as £75 per person for three nights.
I was informed that there were no £75 rooms left for the time I requested which left me with £105 or £120 per person plus £5 a night for our dog.
We were advised that the £120 per person price would give us a four poster bed with jacuzzi bath and a extra large room, it sounded perfect so I booked it. I was asked for my card details so I left them as requested.
We arrived two days later, upon entering the lodge there was no one around although my husband found an elderly couple making a bed in one of the rooms, the female asked us to wait and she would be with us shortly. We waited at the cold reception area until she had finnished and then she met us to take our details. I was then asked to pay for the balance of the room - I wasnt aware I had paid a £80 deposit!!! I was not advised of this when I booked the room.... I had to pay the remaining balance in full before I even saw the room which I have never been requested to do in any B&B before.
I was advised that we were the only people staying at the hotel that night - strange how there were no £75 special offer rooms available?
The room was large but quite dark, it was dated, the bathroom did have a jacuzzi however it was very old. There were no special touches such as shower gel, merely two sachets of combined shampoo and conditioner. I was informed by Paul the owner that he would need to get me an extension lead so I could use the bedside lamp - this never arrived... The first night I had problems with the tv, the remote control was not the correct one for the make of tv which we had, I was advised by Paul (after I told him I also had to tune the tv) that he would sort out the remote control that day --- It was not changed or looked at.
The room was advertised as having a table and chairs in it, the table was a portable folding table for two which was not in keeping with the hotel and quite impractable.
I was only disapointed due to reading the internet as it sounded fantastic, I have to remember we were in a 'dog room'.
On a positive Paul was very helpful in supplying us plates and cutlery for our take away meals and the lodge was in a good location... Would I stay again? No I think we will opt for something that matches the description.

Room Tip: Confirm exactly what you are going to get for your money whilst booking. Rooms on the ground floor...
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2012

Had a very pleasent weekend in amberside. Thought the room was lovely and warm. The staff and the locals were very friendly ( alot different from london which is where Im from). The food was great . Usually I stay in the well known places in the city centres so I am glad I tried this type of stay for a change alot more personnal and no fake smiles. Will be returning in the summer.....

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
bristol
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

On February 11th we booked this property via the web for the night of the 23rd June 2012 which including a meal was £110. When making the booking our email address and telephone number and home address were taken and the payment made by credit card. We immediately received a confirmation email from Ambleside Lodge confirming the booking which also included their location and how to find them. With all this done we lloked forward to June and our break which was to see our daughter swim across Lake Windermere for Charity. On the 10th March whilst checking my credit card statement I noticed a credit to my account for £110 made on the 7th March which at the time I did not recognise as it was marked from a company called Eviivo Ltd and after going back through my account the figure matched that made to the Ambleside Lodge. I called them and the person on the phone did not know why the booking was cancelled and he would get someone (I think called Penny) to call me in the morning. As this did not happen, I called them again and was told by a very unfriendly woman that they had been able to let the room for a longer period and thus my booking was cancelled without even the courtesy of a call or an email, just a money refund without notice. So, be warned, check your booking before you leave home as you may end up sleepng in the car without evan an apology.

Room Tip: Don't book and find a room elsewhere, it would be much safer.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Ambleside Lodge? Share your experiences!