“Not a 4* Hotel” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 12 hotels in Ambleside
southampton
“Not a 4* Hotel”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

I do not usually write bad reviews, I would rather write a good one but I feel I must share my views in this case. We have just returned from a planned road trip through Wales & The Lakes & as usual I did my homework & booked what I thought were three 4* Hotels. The previous two were as described and we were very happy but we were very disappointed with this one which is advertised as a 4* Hotel but is at best a 3* B&B. In agreement with the previous review, when we arrived at The Fisherbeck, my daughter was struggling with her case & the receptionist suggested that she leave it at the bottom of the stairs and that my husband come back for it, which he did. The room was small & the colours throughout were gaudy. There was mold around the bath, scuffs on the walls, cheap chipped furniture and no bedside lamps for reading, only spot lights on the ceiling. The beds were old & I was rolling towards the middle as my husband is a lot heavier than me. But the noise was the worst, we had a family above us which kept us awake plus we heard every flush of the toilets in the 2 rooms next to us and the cisterns refilling. We were booked in for 3 nights but left after 2, spoiling our well earned holiday. I have no problem with staying in an establishment such as this but if it is described as a 4* Hotel and I am charged as such, I expect to receive the service and comfort that I have paid for. On the plus side, the breakfast & location is good and people were friendly.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

314 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013 via mobile

In response to a poor review a week earlier, I have to respond with a review of my own. I am very used to staying away in hotels regularly, both for business and social occasions. Yes, The Fisherbeck is not a 5*, 100+ room hotel, but neither is it just a bed and breakfast. I have NEVER had service as personal as this in any of the hotels I have previously stayed in. The attention to detail in the rooms is fantastic. The rooms are spotless every day. A little fairy magically returns your room to an impecable state when you go out each day. The breakfast choice is the best I've ever encountered and quality of cooking superb. The owners and their staff take an interest in you without being overbearing. I can only find one fault. When the hotel is full, there are not enough parking spaces. This leads to a very awkward feeling that you do not want to take your car out for fear of losing your space. The solution of boxing in cars and leaving keys at reception is not really acceptable for the money you pay per night. I'm sure a solution to this could be found by using the car park next door and getting the parking fee knocked off your bill. Overall, my wife and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay and would recommend to anyone for any occasion.

• Stayed July 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013 via mobile

Just returned from 2 nights stay at the Fisherbeck,could not fault anything about the place,spotlessly clean,lovely room and great staff,and the breakfast is outstanding,top job Fisherbeck will happily recommend to anyone ;)

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
GillianLane, Owner at The Fisherbeck, responded to this review, August 3, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to write your review.

We seem to have ticked all the boxes so thanks also for being so complimentary.

I do have a current theory though that this fabulous weather is making every stay here in the Lake District just that little bit better!!!!

I do hope we will be able to welcome you back if you are ever planning a return trip to Ambleside.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013 via mobile

A weekend walking in the Lake District. Stayed at the Fisherbeck for two nights. Very good accommodation, great breakfast, and short walk into town for bars & restaurants. Car parking on the road wasn't a problem and Fisherbeck gave me a parking disc. My room was a single, which was small but perfectly comfortable.

Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
GillianLane, Owner at The Fisherbeck, responded to this review, August 3, 2013
So very glad you had a good weekend away walking in the Lake District.

Our single room was refurbished last year and although not a large room it is a great favourite with our loan travelers who appreciate having a very good sized full en-suite bathroom.

Hope we'll see you again if you are heading this way.

Dumfries, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

Cracking Hotel in a spot on location with spotless modern room & bathroom.
We found the staff very friendly & attentive. Discovered a nice birthday suprise of Champagne when returned to room. Lovely breakfast with great choice.
Will defenitely return.

Room Tip: Garden rooms & first floor rooms with balconies. Spa bath/shower bathrooms of good size.
GillianLane, Owner at The Fisherbeck, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
Thank you very much indeed for writing your review and we so pleased that you had an enjoyable time away for your birthday.

So glad you enjoyed our breakfasts and that the staff were helpful. We will pass your comments along to them. I know they really appreciate the fact that people think they are doing a great job. We certainly couldn't manage without them.

Enjoy this fabulous summer.

Bridgwater, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

We looked forward to this holiday for a whole year and had another wonderful stay with Ray and Gillian and were certainly not disappointed! We arrived on 6th July and spent 2 incredible weeks relaxing at this lovely hotel, enjoying its comfort and beautiful surroundings. We were greeted with some bubbly on arrival, a lovely gesture! Room 2 has wonderful views from its balcony and is superbly presented throughout with a luxurious bathroom. Breakfast is always a delight, with some lovely 'breakfast specials' and attention to every detail by the great staff team. We absolutely adore holidaying in Cumbria and have booked this wonderful hotel again for another 2 weeks next year - can't wait!!

GillianLane, Owner at The Fisherbeck, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
I think that the most incredible thing about your 2 week stay with us this year was the quite unreal hot weather that we had and my memories of you are watching you sit, quite often in the shade reading away for hours on end and being totally relaxed. That is exactly what a holiday should be all about, interspersed with activities as and when you feel inclined, and the Lake District certainly has plenty of activities to choose from.

It will be lovely to see you back again next year, trying out Woodside Cottage.

Have a great year and make the most of this weather while it lasts. It's been a very long time since we had it so good. Here's hoping for 2014.

All the very best to you both.

Gill & Ray
Wirral
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

This is a property which thinks its a hotel, but in fact it's a pretentious bed and breakfast. We would not recommend it to anyone who is used to hotel accommodation. There is no help with luggage when you book in and very little attention to guest requirements.

GillianLane, Owner at The Fisherbeck, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Thank you very much indeed for writing your review.

I have learnt over the many years we have been here at The Fisherbeck that we don't please everybody all the time despite our best efforts. Our front of house staff are trained to ask everybody who checks in if they would like assistance with their luggage and I would say that this is done almost always so I do pass on my most sincere apologies if you slipped through the net. It will certainly be a subject we will address at our next training meeting.

Your comments have been noted and action will be taken.
Thank you again.
Gillian Lane

Been to The Fisherbeck? Share your experiences!