“Absolutely Fabulous” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Ambleside
East Kilbride, Scotland
“Absolutely Fabulous”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

We stayed 3 nights here with friends and have nothing but praise for the owners and staff from our arrival until our departure. We were in room 1 which was spotlessly clean and comfortable with a superb en-suite, After a perfect nights sleep, the breakfast was fantastic from first course to last. We would certainly recommend The Fisherbeck to anyone visiting Ambleside and The Lakes.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
GillianLane, Owner at The Fisherbeck, responded to this review, October 6, 2012
Thank you very much indeed for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay with us.

I know that you came along with friends who have stayed with us many times and we are just glad that you were not disappointed....so often what suits one does not suit another!!!

Thank you also for your comments with regard to breakfast. It is much appreciated.

We do hope we will be able to welcome you back again in the not too distant future.

With kind regards

Gillian Lane

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

Booked in to the single room for just 2 nights as I was going to 'a do' & 1) Nothing else in the area & 2) I was on my own!

Well I'm so glad I did. After a hideous drive up 250+ miles I arrived tired & with no parking spaces left I parked my car in the public car park alongside. The owner very kindly moved his car to let me in so I didn't have to get up before 8am to put another ticket on my windscreen. He didn't have to go to the bother, as the hotel has a side gate into the car park. But he did, it was a lovely gesture & I'm very grateful. He then carried my luggage upstairs & said if I wished there would be a pot of fresh tea/coffee downstairs ready if I wished to just relax after my journey (which I did) I was asked if I had a specific dietary needs & said I normally drink goats milk but would be happy to have whatever was available, but he said goats milk would be found for my stay if available.

My single room was small (As you would you expect) so there wouldn't be any cat swinging antics there during my stay but everything I needed was there, large enough wardrobe, plenty of drawer space, plenty enough room to move around one side of the bed & unpack, dress etc.The en suite was up a couple of stairs with no door but then, after all, I was on my own & it would have made it feel cramped. The decor was simple but very pleasant & the en suite modern & clean. Somehow, it felt very cosy & safe. The duvet was double bed size so no drafts during the night plus I could have used the bath towel as an extra blanket if I was cold as it was so large.

Breakfast was varied & well presented & included my own jug of goats milk (thank you)

Expensive? I don't think so. No, It wasn't cheap (but cost is relative) I suppose I could have gone to the YHA if I was looking for cheap (no detriment to the YHA, I've done my share of that). Personally I think I got very good value for the price & wouldn't hesitate to go again

Room Tip: Winding stairs to upper floors & steps within corridors
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
GillianLane, Owner at The Fisherbeck, responded to this review, October 6, 2012
Thank you very much indeed for taking the time to write your review. It is much appreciated, particularly as you obviously spent some time and thought doing so.

We have just one single room, which, as you said is not overly large, but as I say, perfectly formed with exactly the same quality of finish as all our other rooms. It was, in fact, newly refurbished last December.

I also think it is very important for ladies travelling alone to feel safe & secure in their surroundings, so I'm glad we got that right.

We do hope you will think of us again if you ever decide to visit the Lake District again, despite the 250 mile journey!!!

Kind regards

Scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

Writing this review because our friends of many years wanted to visit the Lakes for the first time after listening to our tales of the Fisherbeck and I'm glad to say it seemed to meet the challenge. The weather was foul to start with - storms and floods everywhere.

We enjoyed Gillian and Ray's hospitality until the sun came out and Ambleside shone. Accommodation was as good as ever and breakfasts and snacks hit the spot. You can't beat the Fisherbeck for character and location and we loved our four days in Tempest then Sun.

Warm and informal, the Fisherbeck met and surpassed our needs and made a major contribution to a successful trip. Another visit is already in the planning stages. Many thanks to the Lanes for a great time.

Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Mr & Mrs C.

Thank you again for taking the time to write your review; you are very kind.

The weather was pretty foul at times but thank goodness the sun came out once or twice.

We shall look forward to your next visit, so until then, we send our very best.

Raymond & Gillian
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

We visited the Lakes for a long weekend after an absence of some 13 years during which we had not taken any holidays in the UK. This was partly due to the immense difficulties visiting popular locations in this country, with motorways which always seem to be congested no matter when you travel, and town centres turned into a maze by planners who seem to hate anybody who is driving a motor vehicle, no matter how small or eco friendly.

After a long drive of over ten hours from London through some of the worst traffic imaginable, driving my wife to the point where I knew she just really wanted to go home, it was that bad, we arrived some time after 11 p.m. There in the lobby stood a white haired gentleman gazing at me quizzically. "Are you a member of staff," I enquired somewhat sheepishly. "No, I'm the owner!" was the bright reply. Chastened and just a little embarrassed, I gave our names and reminded him that we had booked to stay at his lodging, as if he needed such prompting.

Next we had to find a spot to park in circumstances where the hotel was full and all the bays had been taken, but nonetheless, I was directed to a place blocking off the owners vehicle at his instruction and hoping that I was not going to make any enemies the next morning by inadvertently restricting their space. Then out came a load of luggage, empty sandwich packets, shoes and general dishevelment . I crawled up through the lobby loaded like a pack horse and more tired than I have ever been on any long haul flight lasting 11 hours or so. We found our room and hauled ourselves in, ready to crash out there and then. But before that, up came a cup of camomile tea and a soothing separate glass of milk. Just what the doctor ordered.

Our room was clean and inviting. The bed was firm but not too hard, there were no unsightly stains, musty odours or questionable furnishings. And it was quiet .Relieved we soon showered and passed out, literally.

Next morning we woke up at a reasonable hour and commenced a joyful couple of days in one of England's most evocative and picturesque locations imaginable. Breakfast was simple and straightforward. Being something of an expert making porridge, or eggs, bacon, tomatoes with any trimmings you care to name , just ask the wife, I was pleased to note the porridge was light and smooth, allowing plenty of room for the Full English. Unlike many Full English sampled in various parts of the world, the bacon was not dry streaky, the sausages not thin and brittle, and the eggs not swimming in grease. And the toast was granary and crisp, the jam home made (careful you don't overindulge) and the hot chocolate for my wife was just right.

The whole point about this hotel is the small things you notice, the little touches. Like two sinks in the bathroom, bottles of water placed in your room, cotton buds, and cleaning that you can see. There is a sense of being cared for and valued as a guest. That is how it should be. You don't have to look under the beds or ask for clean towels or flannels. Add to this beds which can be King sized and give you plenty of room to move around without sticking elbows in each other's faces.

Even though it rained heavily on the Sunday of our visit it did not matter. There are few places in the world perhaps that can look good in the rain, but the Lakes is one of them. You can stop and stare at the clouds creeping over the mountains and admire their envelopment of the peaks and pinnacles, then see their tops pierce through dark, foreboding, powerful and majestic. They remind you of something much bigger than yourself, and give you a different perspective.

And did I mention the gym and swimming pool you can use. You can have the best of both worlds.

All in all, in the words of Mr. S, if we visit the Lakes again, We will be back! Thank you so much Ray. My only advice to you would be to put a selection of teas in the room, but that's it.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
GillianLane, Owner at The Fisherbeck, responded to this review, October 6, 2012
How very well we remember your late arrival after one or two rather panic sounding telephone calls from you along the way, obviously concerned that we would lock up for the night before your arrival. But as we live on premises that is never a problem.

But you finally made it and a cup of chamomile tea and a glass of milk seemed to sooth the nerves.

I think it was plain sailing after that though and you were rather adventurous, getting to see quite a variety of our wonderful Lakeland landscapes.

Our membership of a local health club is very popular and I am very pleased with the facilities there. It is always well kept & maintained with helpful staff on hand.

You made no mention of your return journey so I am hopeful that it was far less eventful that your one to us.

Thank you again, and if you ever want another adventure north we do hope we will be able to welcome you back.

With kind regards

Raymond & Gillian Lane
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012 via mobile

Stayed 2 nights early September. The room was spotless with quality toiletries, we were escorted to the room and given all the information we needed to settle in. The breakfast was excellent with good choice and attentive service, nothing too much trouble. Our 3rd stay and we will return

Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
GillianLane, Owner at The Fisherbeck, responded to this review, September 7, 2012
Dear Bob V,

Thank you very much indeed for writing your review. It is very much appreciated and we are so pleased that you had another enjoyable stay with us.

We fully appreciate that there are so many choices when looking for accommodation in the Lake District so we are all the more grateful when guests like us enough to come back.

Thank you again and we hope we will be able to welcome you back again in the not too distant future.

With kind regards to you both.

Reading, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

My wife and I booked a 5 night stay at the FIsherbeck, directions were then sent to me by the hotel, which were very useful and meant that the journey there was made less stressful. Upon arrival we were welcomed at the front desk and taken to our room (room 7). It had clearly been recently refurbished and looked absolutely stunning, with a super king sized bed taking centre stage in the ample sized room. The en-suite also exceeded expectation, with a lovely spa bath big enough for two (which is appreciated after long walks), as well as two sinks. The view from the room was very nice.

The stay at the Fisherbeck was to celebrate our wedding anniversary, and from the cards that my wife and I had on our bedside tables, the cleaning staff deduced that it was a special occasion. When we came into the room in the evening we found a small bottle of champagne and two glasses waiting for us, with a “with compliments” note. This made the stay that little more enjoyable and gave the personal touch that it really appreciated.

The breakfast was superb with cereals, toast and cooked breakfasts all being of the highest quality each morning.

I would definitely recommend staying there to anyone wishing to spend time in the heart of the Lake District.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Mr & Mrs Hill

Thank you very much for taking the time to write your review. Your comments were much appreciated.

Room 7 was brand newly refurbished just a few months ago and we are getting some very nice comments, and I whole heartedly agree about a spa bath and its benefits after a long walk on the fells.

So glad you enjoyed breakfast. I cook every morning, either with our manager Rachel or husband Raymond,and we do try to keep the quality the same all the time.....hopefully!!!

Thank you again and I trust we will be able to welcome you back to The Fisherbeck in the not too distant future.

Kind Regards

Blackburn, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

Really nice room recently refurbished with a very comfy super king sized bed and outside balcony. A free welcome drink and fantastic breakfast provided. Very clean, good location and would definitely recommend a stay.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
GillianLane, Owner at The Fisherbeck, responded to this review, September 1, 2012
Thank you so much for your review regarding your recent stay with us here at The Fisherbeck.

We have been very pleased with the refurbishments made to our balcony rooms and if blessed with good weather you certainly can make the best of our views towards Loughrigg Fell and The Langdale Pikes.

Thank you again and we do hope we will be able to welcome you back in the not too distant future.

Kind regards

Gillian Lane

Been to The Fisherbeck? Share your experiences!