“Wonderful food” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Harlow
“Wonderful food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

We found Chesters by coincidence but we're so glad that we did. The food is wonderful and generous too. There's eating opportunities both inside and outside. We liked it so much we went back! They also do a take-away service. WELL WORTH VISITING!

Middlesbrough
“Improving all the time”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

We have been to Chesters several times now and it gets better all the time. The food is slightly different and very good, the cakes are fantastic, the lemon meringue pie needs some improvement though. There are many more tables now than when we first visited some years ago and the service is always good once you have stood in the queue to order. the toilets are woefully inadequate, but I note they are to be improved for next year. The setting is wonderful, it can only get better.

lowdham, notts
“OMG What a sausage roll!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013 via mobile

We walked over Loughrigg fell from Ambleside to Skelwith Bridge so were ready for hearty fare and that was certainly what we got! The food was fantastic, fresh produce, freshly cooked, exceptional! The cakes are to die for! Best carrot cake I've had in a long time. The setting by the river is perfect. The attached shop has some lovely quirky items. The only down side for me was the ordering method. Find a table, order your choice at the counter with your table number, waitress brings order out. Sounds straight forward. All goes a bit pear shaped when busy. There are no menus on table, so after spending 10mins walking round trying to find a table, I left my hubby "guarding" it while I went to look at the selection. Inside there are paper menus on the side of counter and the food on show is incredible so I made my choice and went back to the table while hubby went to choose his meal & order. After about 25 mins our son came back to me to say my first choice had run out, with no menu on the table it was a bit hit & miss remembering what they had. When my hubby returned he explained that the reason it had taken so longer was that those before him in the queue had had a similar problem - items running out and people running back & forth to get second choices. I can't understand why it's not waitress service??? Once ordered the food arrived promptly, I had ordered flat bread and carrot cake but not the coffee to go with the cake, when I was ready for a coffee I had to queue again - madness. The food is seriously good hence 4stars but not impressed by queuing. Would I go again? Oh yesss, check out the pictures of the food

Visited August 2013
North East England
“Just ok.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

After recommendations from relatives we stopped at Chesters for tea and cake. The location is lovely and we didn't mind having to park the car half a mile up the road to walk down to the restaurant as the walk was beautiful. To be honest, there would be ample parking if people parked considerately (various 4 x 4s and estate vehicles parked at odd angles with little thought for others - you get the picture!) We got a seat outside, but were plagued by wasps for the entire time we were there. I understand that the restaurant can't help having wasps about, but they could put some electrical zappers or at least some cintronella candles about! I had a piece of Coffee and Walnut cake and my partner some Lemon Meringue pie (which was enormous). My cake was nice, but that's the only adjective that could be used to describe it. This was just under £12 in total which I don't think was bad. The queue wasn't too long, but it still took a while to place the order as there is only one till. For 2 pieces of cake and 2 cups of tea it seemed to take quite a while for the order to be brought to our table. I'm not sure why you can't just take small orders back to your table with you by yourself. The food that people around us were eating did look lovely, but for me there was just something missing.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Reading, United Kingdom
“Best chips in the Lake District”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

Always find the time to pop into Chesters while we're here on holiday.

Not the cheapest but the quality of the food and cakes speaks volumes.