We stayed here on a recent walking trip in the Lake District. The staff were very friendly and the room (and corridors) all looked clean and recently refurbished, with thick carpets and newish looking furniture. The bed was a little softer than we like, but not enough to disturb our sleep.
Breakfast was standard B&B fare although the cooked breakfast portions were quite small. If you are a walker with a large appetite trying to set yourself up for a day of walking, rather than an elderly couple who are there to go sight-seeing (which seemed to be the majority of the other patrons that night) then you will need to stock up on cereals and yoghurts. However, if hard-core walkers are only a small part of their clientele then it is probably better that they avoid waste by doing the smaller portions.
Our main gripe was dinner. The fire was lit in the lounge bar but not in the walkers bar, so the walkers bar was very cold. However, when we got downstairs to eat, every table in the lounge bar was full, so we had no choice. At the other end of a fantastic, large and simple meal we walked back through the lounge bar to find that it was empty. Everyone had been sat in there enjoying their pre-dinner drinks while they made menu choices to then be seated in the dining room, and there would have been space for us in the warm lounge bar after all!
Since there is also a spacious lounge just across the hallway perhaps they could encourage residents eating in the dining room to sit and enjoy their drinks in the lounge, instead of the bar. This would leave the lounge bar with enough space for those residents wanting bar food for the night. Especially since they offer a discount on bar food for residents, so I expect a number of residents do choose to eat there. That or light the fire in the walkers bar too on a cold February evening, but with the sparse 5 people who sat and ate in the walkers bar all evening that wouldn't have been very economical.
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
Thanks for your great comments and glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We do apologise about the bar fire, as the notice mentions we found a crack in the chimney lining and it is not safe to light that fire. A new fire and the chimney lining will be fitted as soon as possible.
Report response as inappropriate
Many of our guests do have dinner and all tend to come down at about the same time to have pre dinner drinks etc and once they are eating in the restauarnt both lounges are empty for a couple of hours.
Hope to see you soon.
This response is the subjective opinion of the management representative and not of TripAdvisor LLC.