“Very good coffee. Cake a little strange!” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 106 Restaurants in Ambleside
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: European, English, Healthy, Soups
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast
Description: We fell in love with café culture whilst visiting Switzerland and were inspired by the Swiss obsession for quality produce and service. We serve the highest quality coffee and tea alongside our favourite cakes and light lunches.
Shoreham
“Very good coffee. Cake a little strange!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

I indulged in coffee and cake here recently on a rainy Monday morning. I got a very large cup of coffee for the money and it was delicious. The coffee and walnut cake, however, was rather strange. It didn't taste of coffee at all, but of vanilla fudge! Perhaps it was meant to taste of coffee fudge but they forgot to put the coffee in?! My other choice would have been their ginger cake. The next time I'm in Ambleside I'll give it a try.

The staff were pleasant and helpful. The upstairs loo was spacious but there's only one for everybody so there could be a wait.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Chester, United Kingdom
“maybe an off day”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

I have been coming to this cafe for years but on this visit was very disappointed with the experience.I have always found the service second to none but the lady who served us on this occasion was completely uninterested in us as customers,
i ordered bacon and poached eggs on toast,I have to say the eggs were completely over cooked and solid. I sincerely hope that this is a one off because it would be sad to see this place lose its reputation against such competition in the town.
The gentleman, who I think may be the manager was friendly as ever.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Carlisle, United Kingdom
“Continuing Praise for continually `upping their game`.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

Having also travelled around Switzerland for some years and enjoyed the kind of hospitality provided it was a wonderful surprise to find the same in Ambleside via the Café Treff.
At the moment we are not able to return to Switzerland but still have a similar experience locally.
We have visited this establishment on numerous occasions and find that they are not content to
just `sit on their laurels` but are continually upping their game. Food varied and excellent,,Staff courteous and polite.Would find it hard to find anywhere better.

Bri

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Lincolnshire
“Glad I listened to positive reviews”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

Visited this independent coffee shop,after researching on trip advisor prior to our visit. Initially my partner and I stopped for a drinks break during our 10 mile Ambleside hike and returned for lunch. We both ordered a combination of delicious hearty sandwiches, served with tasty side salads with a sumptuous dressing. Well worth passing Costa coffee and numerous other cafes to eat at this fabulous locally owned cafe.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Manchester
“A little gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

So glad we went in Café Treff whilst on a day trip to Ambleside. The Blue Mountain Coffee was excellent and the chocolate cake delicious - can well recommend both. We had a lovely welcome on entering and the place was really clean. Would definitely go back!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere