“Best Place to Eat in The Lake” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Vegetarian
Good for: Families with children, Outdoor seating
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch
Preston, United Kingdom
“Best Place to Eat in The Lake”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

Rattle Gill is easily one of my favourite places to eat and if I'm going anywhere in the Lake District at all, it is definately worth the drive into Ambleside for lunch!
The only foreseeable problem with Rattle Gill Cafe is choosing what to have because there are so many nice things on the menu. I usually order the Dipping Plate. If you like hummus and such likes, I would highly recommend this! It is comprised of plenty of toasted ciabatta type bread, feta cheese, olives, roasted vegetables, olive oil with balsamic vinegar and really tasty hummus. Very tasty, very filling.

Being a big fan of lovely homemade soups, my mum ordered sweetcorn soup this past time and after stealing a spoonful I have to admit, I had a little bit of soup-envy! So good!
You can choose whether to have your soup with crusty bread (which comes with butter and a little pot of grated cheese) or with a doorstop sandwich which is not an exaggeration!

If you go to Ambleside and you want lunch or just a brew, you must pop into Rattle Gill Cafe for the cake tasting plate. You get 5 or 6 pieces of different homemade cakes and we're not talking about small pieces like someone might bring home from a wedding for you, these are still good size pieces and a tasting plate would be enough for two or three people.

Try the milkshake too!

• Visited February 2013

98% Recommend
Manchester, United Kingdom
“So glad we found this place.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

We also found this little place by chance and it was just what we wanted. The two young guys behind the counter were very welcoming and friendly. The soup was delicious (served with proper door stop granary bread, butter, and a little pot of grated cheese) and the brownie was perfect. Great place. Definitely a little gem worth looking for if you're ever in Ambleside and in need of a light yet wholesome lunch and a luxurious homemade cake.

• Visited March 2013
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
“Excellent food. Extremely handsome staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

I recently ate lunch at the Rattle Gill. We had read the reviews on tripadvisor and as hardened vegetarians we had to see what all the fuss was about. I ordered a dipping plate with feta cheese and humous and my soon to be ex-girlfriend ordered the quiche which came with no fewer than five seperate salads. The food was delicious but my enjoyment of the food was seriously detracted by my girlfriend at the times wandering eye. One has short hair and one has long hair, with very elegantly defined facial features. They both had t shirts on ( probably for hygine reasons) but it didnt take much imagination to tell they had pretty decent bodies underneath. Good work boys.

• Visited March 2013
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Perfect!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

Me and a friend visited this lovely cafe for lunch and never wanted to leave! The food was delicious, all homemade. i highly recommend the soup, scones and milkshake!

The cafe is cosy and I loved the decor. Food is excellent value for money especially considering the location.

Couldn't rate it higher! I will definitely be back. Thank you!

“Absolutely lovely!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013 via mobile

We found this cafe by chance as many others we tried earlier were so busy. First impressions were it was very small, only 5 or 6 tables but very friendly and looked cosy. Great service, great choice of food and drink and as we were sitting there many people tried to get in but it was full. I have to say I was so glad the other cafes were busy otherwise we never would have found this gem. Absolutely loved the Stilton and mushroom soup, I really wanted to have a sweet but was stuffed so took a brownie to take away and it was delicious.
I really wanted to make an effort to write a review as I thought as a small cafe it deserved all the reviews it could get and it's already ranked number one, I am not surprised at all and I'm sure it will stay at the top for a long time.