“Rothay room delight” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 12 hotels in Ambleside
Bolton
“Rothay room delight”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

Love this hotel. My wife and I have been staying here for several years and always love the feel of the place, the staff that never change (sign of a great place to work) and the old and new that works so well throughout the much updated hotel. We usually stay in 402 the club room leading onto balcony which is a fantastic room but this time was persuaded to try the rothay room. A great new room in the main part o he hotel .This is the piste resistance.a great room. Lots of space, fantastic bathroom. Lovely balcony overlooking amble side and the rolling hills in the background and finally the recently added hot tub!!!! The best room bar none to date and realistic prices in a fantastically managed hotel over numerous years. Keep up the good work, improvements are great, running out of space for my collector ducks ! Will b back in the new year :)

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Paulcookson, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Ambleside Salutation Hotel, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Thank you so much for such a fantastic review and super compliments about the hotel and our great staff( we are very lucky to have them and many of them have been with us for years!).I agree Rothay is a great room (one of my favourites) and the hot tub just finishes it off! Your comments and feedback are really important to us and we are so pleased you enjoyed staying with us, look forward to seeing you in the New Year (if not before?) - keep on collecting the ducks! Thank you once again.

618 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
Burnley, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

We were a party of seven wanting an evening meal - we thought we were being seated in the restaurant but ended up on a corridor linking the bar with the restaurant. It was not pleasant as waiting staff were constantly up and down this corridor - we could have refused the tables but with children it would not have been practical to find an alternative.
In addition there were mistakes made with the order
Unlikely to return there for a meal in the future

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Please accept my sincere apologies for your dinning experience with us, I am very sorry we didn't come up to the mark and that you felt disappointed. I have spoke to the Restaurant Manager on duty that night, it was a very busy night and we were unable to move any tables together for you, the only place available was in the Bistro area . Normally we would set up larger tables in the Brasserie area but on this occasion as you saw it was not possible. I do apologise also for the mistakes in your order again it was a busy night and sometimes we do make errors I do hope these were rectified for you quickly and with the least inconvenience .I hope that you will return to the hotel in the future please contact me direct so I can pre book you a table for you. I would certainly like the opportunity to change a some what negative dinning experience with us into a truly positive one.
North Sea
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

a UK hotel, that is saying something when I am an ex-chef from the Hotel industry. Fresh Bread baked bread, kippers, haddock, omelettes or cooked breakfast with a lovely local sausage. Porridge with fresh honey, Smoothies, fresh fruit, not tinned and one of the best natural yogurts I have had in a long time( if the salutation replies to this, I would like to know which yogurt is t was?) back to the hotel, it is the 1st time we have stayed in the Salutation, normally we use the Smallwood, next to Matthews Bistro and use the small-woods Salutation Spa passes, this time because, I have 3 herniated discs and my wife had a medical issue we decided to spend a bit more and know that whatever the weather we could walk from our room and straight to the gym or Jacuzzi. The rooms were spotlessly clean, plenty of towels and a spa bath, which we both used after a couple of small walks, Easedale Tarn and Helm crag from Grasmere. More than enough parking space which we felt was very secure. Beautiful and relaxing bar and the staff were very pleasant. We have had numerous meals over the last few years and on the last night we had another, I was disappointed with my soup, chicken and Tarragon, it was more like stock, Not one strand of chicken. Although I did have the Lamb special which was lovely. A minor gripe is the changing rooms in the pool area, much too small(male and female), dont drop the soap!!! twice I had to go back to reception to sort my keyfob out. Defiantly be back.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
WOW it doesn't get much better than this for a fabulous breakfast review - thank you. We have worked really hard on our breakfast so I was delighted to read your comments. The natural yoghurt we use is Ann Forshaw's Deluxe Natural Creamy, we have supplied by our local milkman each day. Thank you for your kind comments about our rooms and leisure facilities. Apologies about the chicken soup I will discuss this with the chef, all our soups are homemade, pleased you enjoyed the lamb. We do have extra gents changing for the gym, we should perhaps make this clearer to guest's by putting a sign on each changing room to inform guest's. Some times the key fobs do become deactivated and I am sorry this happened to you and you had to return to reception to re set them, unfortunately it has to be done on the main computer on the front desk. Your feed back is very important to us so thank you once again for taking the time to write a review. I am very pleased you will definitely be back to the hotel and look forward to your visit.
Preston, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for 1 night with our dog and it was brilliant. For non-dog people there is no evidence of a dog ever being in the hotel, other than actually seeing one! Spotlessly clean and large room with balcony and views of the fells.
Breakfast is amazing and the staff are very friendly and extremely helpful.
Dogs are well looked after here too, not just strokes from the staff but a few 'welcome' dog biscuits in the room.
Overall an excellent stay, more than a night next time hopefully!

• Stayed July 2013
Thank you for a great review, so pleased you and your four legged friend enjoyed your stay with us. Your comments about our staff and our breakfast's are much appreciated, I look forward to welcoming you back for a longer stay soon.
Hull UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

This was our first stay at the Salutation Hotel and what a lovely hotel it is. The staff are very polite, friendly and nothing is too much bother for them. Our room was in one of the lodges and faced the drive up to the car park. The room was very clean and even though we left towels on the rail the maid still left clean ones the next morning. In the bathroom was a whirlpool bath and this was good after being out in the rain and we were suprised how quiet it was. The food on an evening was fantastic and plenty of choice to choose from. It was very hot when it arrived which makes a nice change from some other hotels that we have stayed in. After sampling the food the night before we were both looking forward to our breakfast and we were not disappointed with lots of different fruits to choose from and not the tinned variety that some places offer but fresh chopped fruit. The cooked breakfast was again very good and both myself and husband agree that it must be the best that we have had and it arrived hot. My husband had the tea bread after his breakfast and said how lovely it was. The service was very good and you could have a laugh with the staff which is nice. We are looking forward to returning and trying the leisure area next time. A great hotel with lovely staff and would recommend to anyone.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your review and your kind comments about our staff, service, rooms, food and breakfast. We have worked really hard on our breakfast selection and I'm really pleased you liked it (the tea bread is lovely and home made!) we are also very luck yo have such great staff ( most of them have been with us many years!) . I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon, I'm sure you will enjoy using the leisure facilities on your next trip.
Woodstock, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

This is by far the most comfortable and welcoming hotel we have stayed in, and it is always a pleasure to return knowing just how much you are going to enjoy your visit.

The rooms are really comfortable, and well-furnished, and the whole place is spotless. The meals are excellent, very reasonably priced, and available for a good part of the day.

The staff are incredibly friendly and are able to make decisions for themselves without referring to the manager. Many of them have been at the hotel for a long time, which is a very good sign of how much they enjoy working there.

I shall be spending my 70th birthday here next March with all my family, and am already looking forward to it!

Room Tip: Decide which range of hills you would like to see each morning! They are all good.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Paulcookson, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Ambleside Salutation Hotel, responded to this review, August 16, 2013
Many thanks for a great review and kind compliments about our rooms, décor, food and our staff. Many of the team have been here for a while and we are so lucky as its nice for guests to see welcoming friendly faces and of course we enjoy to see our returning guests. We are so pleased you will be coming to stay for your 70th birthday celebrations and look forward to looking after you and your family. Thank you so much your comments and feedback do make it all worth while.
Durham
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

My wife, 7 year old son and I did not stay at the Salutation but we ate there one evening and had a lovely meal. The staff were the biggest asset of this hotel and we were made very welcome by polite and accommodating staff. The menu choice was excellent and when the food came it was piping hot, substantial and good quality. I would definitely return here to eat and would be happy to book into the hotel to stay. I would struggle to find a detrimental comment other than there seemed to be a lot of dogs at the hotel. Not objectionable to us but some may.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Many thanks for your review and compliments about our staff and food. So pleased you enjoyed dinning with and you enjoyed the dishes and choice on our new menu. We do have a great team of staff the majority have been with us for several years so we are very lucky. We are dog friendly but do not allow dogs in the restaurant and only in the lounges before and after food service. I do hope you are able to stay with us on your next visit so you can experience more of our hospitality and service, many thanks

Been to BEST WESTERN Ambleside Salutation Hotel? Share your experiences!