“Excellent Hotel, very helpful & friendly staff” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Package Deal
Ranked #1 of 12 hotels in Ambleside
Ireland
“Excellent Hotel, very helpful & friendly staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2009

We stayed in the Waterhead hotel for 1 night, during our walking holiday of the lake district (only wish we stayed longer).
The hotel has a lovely feel to it and all the staff were extremely helpful. The bedrooms have a nice view of the lake and the en-suites are clean and modern. The breakfast was excellent, with a full à la carte menu included in our price.
It has a DVD player in all bedrooms, with DVDs available to borrow from reception. (free of charge)
The only drawback was that the swimming pool & leisure facilities available are 1mile from the hotel.
We moved from here to the dissappointing Old England Hotel in Bowness, which was alot more expensive, with alot less charm!
I would definitely return to the Waterhead if I get the chance.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
whmanager, General Manager at Waterhead, responded to this review, September 25, 2009
Dear Aoife_Sk

Many thanks for the great review and apologies for the delay in replying.
I was delighted to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay at The Waterhead and hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future.

987 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
ENGLAND
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2009

Stayed for one night on the 15th august 2009 to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary.
It has certainly changed over the last 20 years - we hardly recognised it !!! We were given a lake view room on the ground floor, very stylish. Beautiful large bathroom with white fluffy towels and gorgeous toiletries. Tea/coffee etc. Turndown service at night if required. We had a meal in the Bay restaurant attached to the hotel - wonderful food and service. The breakfast is excellent - we got to the breakfast room early so we had an incredible view of the lake with our toast !!! Could not fault anything about the hotel - would def stay again - we wont leave it 20 years this time !!!!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
whmanager, General Manager at Waterhead, responded to this review, August 17, 2009
Dear SAM.46

Thanks for taking the time to post a fantastic review, and I'm delighted that you enjoyed your stay at the Waterhead.
I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future, and please do contact me prior to this should I be able to be of any assistance.

york
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2009

My Husband and I stayed at the wonderful Waterhead hotel for 4 nights from the 2nd to the 6th of August.I spent hours looking though the trip advisor reviews wanting to find the perfect break for us,we both work very hard all year and as this was to be our only holiday,and as times are hard we wanted to make sure we chose wisely,we were not dissapointed!
The reception staff were very polite and efficient, our room which had a wonderful lake view was very fresh modern and clean.lovely fluffy bath robes and slippers, soft towels and a nice array of toiletries.The bed was one of the most comfortable we have ever slept in and you just melted into the pillows! Each day we received fresh fruit still and sparkling water and ice which i thought was a really nice touch along with the gingerbread and fantastic variety of teas coffee hot chocolate etc,i especially liked the cafetiereand fresh ground coffee.
We had dinner in the restaurant on our first night and were so impressed that we ate there for the rest of our stay, we had booked the dinner bed and breakfast deal for one of the nights and wish that we had done so for the others as it is such good value for money.our favourite meal was the red snapper it was cooked and presented beautifully.Breakfast was faultless! everything is cooked fresh to order and once again presented to such a very high standard.There is something for everyone from porridge with whisky,yes whisky! to kippers to fresh fruit salad,it was a truely fantastic start to the day.
The hotel has a lovely garden area at the front were you can sit and relax looking out over the lake enjoying a refreshing drink or a light lunch. There is a road that runs in front of the hotel but we didn't find it bothered us that much and it's only a 15 min walk to the pretty town of Ambelside
To summarize we had a wonderful relaxing stay at a fabulous hotel and can't wait untill we've saved up enough money to go back again.I myself work in the catering industry and know all to well how incredibly hard ALL the staff work from the managment right down to the unseen heros who work in the kitchen.Every member of staff we came into contact with were polite courteous and utterly professional, they are a credit to the hotel, please pass on our thanks.
Lisa and Malcolm Shand

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
whmanager, General Manager at Waterhead, responded to this review, August 15, 2009
Dear Lisa and Malcolm

On behalf of the team here at the Waterhead, thank you for taking the time to post a fantastic review of the hotel.
I have ensured that your kind comments have been passed on to each and every member of the team, and hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Waterhead in the very near future.
Please do feel free to contact me at whmanager@elhmail.co. uk and I will be delighted to ensure that you receive the very best rate avaialable for your next stay.

Scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2009

My wife and I stayed here for two nights. The hotel lived up to all reviews. The reception staff were very pleasant, welcoming and helpful on arrival. Interestingly neither of the two ladies we dealt with were British, This pleasant attitude also went for the rest of the staff in the hotel.
We had a house room which was a good size with a large comfortable bed. The room and bathroon were immaculately kept and modern. The outlook was out onto the car park but we really as we did not spend a lot of time in our room so this was not an issue. There were plenty of pleasant seating areas around the hotel for having coffee, snacks, drinks either in the bar or in the garden overlooking the lake.
The cooked breakfast was made fresh to order with a good selection available following buffet style starters. We also had dinner one evening which again very good and reasonably priced.
This hotel deserves it's great reviews and I would recommend it for couples looking for a relaxing break.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
whmanager, General Manager at Waterhead, responded to this review, August 12, 2009
Dear BigDontour

Thanks so much for the great review, and I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay.
Please do not hesitate to contact me prior to your next stay on whmanager@elhmail.co .uk, and I look forward to welcoming you back to The Waterhead in the near future.

Drogheda, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2009

This is an excellent hotel, the welcome was warm from arrival, and I was concerned as I was in my walking gear, but this was not a problem, the hotel are well used to walkers. The reception staff were really helpful, great at advising on local activities etc. The bedroom was a real treat! Honestly the comfiest, biggest bed I have ever had the pleasure in staying in! There was nothing the room didn't have from fresh fruit, all kinds of teas, coffees, hot chocolate and even fresh gingerbread from Grasmere, nice touch! There is a coal effect fire built onto the wall, decor fab, contemporary and cool. Bathroom fab, fluffiest white towels... Fab toiletries, did I mention that this was a standard room? I wonder how great the luxury rooms were! Complimentary hire of DVD's from reception which we availed of, another nice touch. Sitting on the top of Lake Windermere, the location is hard to beat. Ambleside in a lovely little town, hotel about 10 mins walk from town. Great walks from the door of the hotel. We only stayed one night, but I will definitely return and stay for longer! Well done to the hotel management for maintaining such high standards.

Dear helley

Many thanks for taking the time to post a great review following your recent stay with us at The Waterhead.
I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future, and please do not hesitate to contact me should I be able to assist in any way with future bookings.

Cumbernauld, Glasgow
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2009

This was our second stay at the Waterhead. As this was our main summer break we decided to stay six nights. From the moment we arrived at reception to the moment we left we had a wonderful experience. The service was friendly, knowledgeable and unobtrusive. We booked one of the luxury rooms with a lake view and it was excellent in every respect. Very comfortable super-king sized bed I think, wonderful bathroom with all you could ever need and comfortable chairs with which to enjoy a drink (using the thoughtfully provided ice) while taking in the lake view. The room was spotless and was kept in immaculate condition by the housekeeping staff - well done to them. We had lunch on the day of arrival and again the food was of a very high standard, enhanced by the lovely warm weather which enabled us to sit at a table outside. We only ate in the restaurant on one night - which was a big mistake - we should have eaten there EVERY night. The quality and presentation of the food was first class in every respect. Contrary to what I read in another review I had one of the best fillet steaks I had ever had - compliments to the chef.
The location of the hotel is superb, right on Lake windermere from where you can take a trip on one of the many boats which leave from there (10% discount to residents). I think this is the best hotel I have stayed at in Britain and I have been staying in hotels from the North of Scotland to Cornwall in the south and many places in between (some of them 5 Stars).
Looking forward to our next stay.

Dear JohnM01

Many thanks for the fantastic review and kind comments regarding your recent stay with us.
I was delighted to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay and please do not hesitate to contact me prior to your next stay on whmanager@elhmail.co .uk so that I can ensure that this is just as memorable.

Fleet, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2009

This is one of the best hotels around here, if not THE best. The location is a delight, the service is superbly attentive whilst remaining non-obtrusive, the food is exquisite, the wine list good, the room a little small but expected in this area - the tasteful décor and flowers in reception more than made up for this.

I have never written such a good review. Full marks to the management and team for making our visit so memorable.

This is no ordinary hotel!

• Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
Dear kevmar

Thank you for the fantastic review - I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us, and I do hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Waterhead in the near future.

Matt Stanaway

Been to Waterhead? Share your experiences!