“Wonderful hotel, fabulous location, would stay again!” 5 of 5 stars

Package Deal
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Ambleside
GreenLeadersSilver level
East Yorkshire
“Wonderful hotel, fabulous location, would stay again!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2009

My Fiance and I don't get away often without our children; so when we do we like to go for luxury; and we certainly got that at the Waterhead Hotel.

Our room; apparently one of the less luxurious; was comfortable, modern, and extremely luxurious. Fruit and Grasmere gingerbread upon arrival with an array of hot drinks to choose from. Decor was modern and room spotless. Breakfasts were phenominally large and scrumptious; a good start to the days, sustained us through plenty of walking; without needing to eat again until evening time!

A mile from the centre of Ambleside and also a mile to the gym / pool / sauna (for which we had free access) we were very well situated. Also well placed for being able to visit many of the wonderful places within the Lakes. As a Cumbrian lass by birth I was proud to be able to show my fiance my home county and staying in such a wonderful hotel made our romantic weekend away all the more special! We will certainly return in the future!

(The only minor dissapointment was the TV......very basic viewing ....no Sky news / sports etc. but a good selection of DVD's if you like watching films!)

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
whmanager, General Manager at Waterhead, responded to this review, April 2, 2009
Dear Buzzybev

Thanks so much for the fantastic review and I'm glad you enjoyed your stay.
As ever, please do contact me prior to your next stay.

Matt Stanaway

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (292)
Ayr, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2009

We stayed here in November compliments of the hotel after a hiccup with our original stay. We stayed in room 2 which certainly has the WOW factor. It's enourmous, wtih a bay window overlooking Windermere and the Langdale Pikes. We loved the up to date decor. Everything has been thought about and provided for. There's a caferiere with proper coffee, including decaff. There's various teas including a varietey of herbal and of course there's the famous Sarah Nelson Grasmere Gingerbread.
We had dinner in the restaurant, which was excellent, as was the breakfast. The staff were wecoming, friendly and efficient.
The weather during our 1 night stay was appalling, but the Waterhead was just an oasis of bliss and we had no desire to leave. We can't wait to return.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
whmanager, General Manager at Waterhead, responded to this review, March 16, 2009
Dear no1riggie

Thanks so much for taking the time to post your review.
I was delighted to read that you throughly enjoyed your stay with us, and that the little extras that we pride ourselves on do make all the difference to guests' impression of the hotel.
Please do contact me prior to your next stay so that I can ensure you are offered the best rate available.

Burnley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2009

Stayed here for a long weekend to celebrate my wife’s birthday based, as always, on TripAdvisor reviews and we were not disappointed. On arrival at the stylish reception we found our room wasn’t quite ready for us, but we left the car at the hotel and walked into Ambleside (10 minutes) to do some retail therapy.
On our return we completed check in and found our cases waiting for us in our room together with a birthday card from the hotel for my wife – a nice touch. The room was larger than expected, probably because it was on a corner, and had a lake view from the bathroom, but only a view of the car park from the bedroom. The room was stylish and generally well fitted with tea/coffee maker (including cafetiere), flat screen TV, DVD player and adequate fitted wardrobes containing trouser press, iron and ironing board. There was no fridge. A minor gripe is that the heater in the bedroom and also the one in the bathroom would only work with a room key so you could come back to a chilly room if you went out on a cold winter’s day.
The bathroom was not huge, but was very stylish. It provided adequate toiletries and super, very large, fluffy towels. We did have a problem on the Sunday morning when the hotel was full and we couldn’t get more than a lukewarm flow of water in the shower. Thankfully we had a bath also and got water just hot enough for that as an alternative. I would have thought that a hotel of this class should have an adequate hot water system to cope even when full. The next day was no problem, but the occupancy was noticeably lower.
We did not eat in the restaurant other than for breakfast. This was generally fine – just about what one would have expected. The only exception was the “Quorn bacon” served with the vegetarian breakfast – a meat substitute exercise too far! Service in general was very good including a discreet turn down service and the staff were very friendly. The situation is good at the head of the lake and the town centre was a realistic walk away and the return even more so after a bottle or two of wine!
In Ambleside you can’t beat Lucy’s on a Plate for a good birthday meal and yet again it didn’t disappoint. And neither did this hotel at the price we paid for it (50% off the rack rate on a hotel promotion). It has a very stylish contemporary feel in an area of the country that at one time was wall-to-wall chintz. At that price it just deserves five stars, but at full price I’d have knocked one off for the lack of hot water!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
whmanager, General Manager at Waterhead, responded to this review, March 13, 2009
Dera Norman_Cope

Thank you for taking the time to post your review - I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay.
Please do contact me prior to your next stay in order to ensure you are offered a very competitive rate, and I hope you have the opportunity to try out our restaurant at dinner when you next visit!
Thanks again

Merseyside
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2009

We have just got back from a 2 night stay at this wonderful hotel and wish it had been longer!
After searching many hotels on the net i decided on this hotel because of the good reviews on trip advisor (very accurate, helpful reviews).
I wanted somewhere special to take my boyfriend for his birthday and special it was!
We had the best weekend ever!
The staff were very pleasent and helpful and went out of their way to meet any requirements.
We stayed in 1 of their superior rooms which had a fantastic view over the lake (well worth the extra money). Very spacious and spotlessly clean! The bed was huge and the bathroom was lovely! (loved the waterfall-like shower). The rooms were attended to every morning and touched up in the evening before bed time also.
But it was all the little extra's and personal attention which made the difference. On arrival their was a birthday card placed on the desk in our room (which i thought was lovely) and for our evening meal we had a bay window table over looking the lake. I also asked for a birthday cake to be brought out towards the end of our meal which the staff were more than happy to do and they even came out to sing happy birthday -it was simply perfect!
As for the food in the restaurant -this was delicious! Good variaty, perfectly presented and cooked to perfection! As were the breakfasts! Absolutely delicious! The service was quick, polite and very efficient.
I could not fault this hotel. (Except maybe the price, but you do get what you pay for). Thank you so much to all the staff at the Waterhead Hotel for making my boyfriend's birthday so special. We can't wait to come back again.
To anyone thinking of booking this hotel- do it! You will not be dissapointed!

Dear eyecandy0000

Thank you for taking the time to post a great review.
I was pleased to read that both yourself and your boyfriend had a fantastic stay, and I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Manchester
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2009

We stayed here for 2 nights and got a great rate including 1 night's dinner for under £350. Check in was smooth and the rooms were nicely furnished (we had a luxury room overlooking the lake). Dinner in the hotel was superb and the staff were very attentive, the portions weren't huge but just right if you are having three courses (the lighting in the restaurant is lovely and very atmospheric). During our stay there were 2 small weddings on consecutive days and this did nothing to detract the staff from offering great service to all the guests. The only critisism we had was that the bed was way too soft and we ended up with sore backs, and the cooked breakfast was much better on the Saturday than on the Sunday. On the 2nd night of our stay we ate at the Log House (just down the road) and the food was excellent along with the service. Would we go back to both - YES!

Dear Kippaxlady

Thanks so much for the fantastic review - I was delighted to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay, in particular the Bay Restaurant.
I do hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Waterhead in the near future.

Preston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2009

Just spent 2 nights at the Waterhead for our wedding anniversary...Service was great, nice little touches like coming round in the evening to ask if we needed anymore tea, coffee and sugar, also liked the binoculars in the room to help appreciate the views. Lovely lakeside view from room 10 although there was a bit of a draught coming through the window. All staff were very pleasant and attentive. Only gripe is, why can't cheffs at expensive hotels fry an egg and bacon properly, its one of the highlights for me in a hotel to know there is a lovely breakfast waiting fo me when I get up, everything was undercooked. I was fascinated with the bottle of whisky next to the porridge however... I was tempted to try it.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
whmanager, General Manager at Waterhead, responded to this review, March 9, 2009
Dear RBCPreston

Mnay thanks for taking the time to post your review - I was delighted to read that, on the whole, you enjoyed your stay with us.
I'm sorry that breakfast did not quite live up to your expectations - we can certainly offer fried bacon should you request this, but our bacon is usually grilled as a result of guest feedback and preference for a slightly healthier breakfast (if you can can a full English breakfast 'healthy'!)
Please do contact me prior to your next stay and I will ensure that you both receive a preferential rate and breakfast cooked to your liking.

Chester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2009

Just returned from 2 nights at the Waterhead Hotel it was a Christmas present and one of the best ever.
We had an upgrade and looked directly onto the lake, the room was great and had many extras. We have stayed in lots of hotels in the lakes and other areas but this is one of the nicest. The staff where all very nice, breakfast great, what more could you want. We will hopefully return before too long.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
whmanager, General Manager at Waterhead, responded to this review, March 3, 2009
Dear tia029

Thanks for the fantastic review and I'm delighted you enjoyed your Christmas present!
I hope to welcome you back to The Waterhead in the near future, and please do contact me beforehand on whmanager@elhmail.co.uk to ensure you are quoted the very best rate available

Matt Stanaway

Been to Waterhead? Share your experiences!