We've stayed at the Waterhead before on several occasions - usually in one of the lake view rooms in the older part of the hotel. This time, we went at the last minute and got the last standard room in the more recent extension. We weren't expecting too much but were pleasantly surprised when the room standard was just as good as before - minus view (of course). Modern furnishings, well maintained give this hotel the edge compared to the plethora of poor, tired old fashioned places that the Lakes has in abundance. I am starting to miss having a safe in the room and I do think that a fridge/minibar would be welcome also but overall, this is a real haven and urban boutique style in a picturesque location.
We had dinner in the hotel also (we always do). As ever - it was a lovely atmosphere and it really tries to capture some fine dining elements. It doesn't quite pull it off and there are culinary errors but it still gets our vote.
My recommendation to visitors is to give the Waterhead a try (especially if you have limited time and are used to city hotel standards). To the Waterhead, I'd say, don't sit back. All isn't perfect and you need to be ahead of the competition by a little more than this in future.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- 4 star town house hotel on the shores of Lake Windermere near Ambleside. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, Booking.com, Priceline, Despegar.com, Odigeo and TripOnline SA so you can book your Waterhead reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ambleside Hotel Waterhead
- Hotel Waterhead
- Waterhead Ambleside, Lake District