“A real treat” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Drunken Duck Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ambleside
The Drunken Duck Inn
You added The Drunken Duck Inn to your Saves list
Barngates | Off B5286, Ambleside LA22 0NG, England   |
Ranked #51 of 84 Ambleside B&B and Inns
Leeds, United Kingdom
“A real treat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2011

My Husband treated me to a weekend break at the Drunken Duck in April for my Birthday and we haven’t stopped raving about it since.

We had a thoroughly enjoyable evening dining experience, the service was first class and the food was divine & complimented by a broad selection of wine. The breakfast was of an equally high standard and the service efficient and friendly.

Our de-luxe / superior room was tastefully decorated and extremely comfortable. We were delighted to be joined for afternoon tea (which we arranged to be delivered to our patio) by 3 ducks who waddled up from the pond at the bottom of the garden.

The location was ideal, very close to Ambleside with fabulous views and a secluded feel.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
wigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2011

Was highly recommended by friends. Upon finding The Drunken Duck was pleasently suprised tp find a nice atmosphere in lovely surroundings. That is where the pleasentries ended. We were served by a rude barman who obviously didnt want to be there, eventually found a table with not one but two wobbly legs. Wouldnt mind only for the overpriced wine continually spilling. We eventually found another table.
Oredered the food, Plaice and Fries at £14.95 afer a 30 minute wait was served with what was best described as a fish finger with MvDonalds fries. An absolute travesty.
My partners was no better, the fish pie being totally tasteless.
We have eaten all over the Lakes and been happy in the majority of establishments.
Would not return to the Drunken Duck free of charge. Once bitten twice shy. Thanks but
no thanks.

Mellor, Lancashire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2011

Well after yet another visit to the Drunken Duck, we have decided we simply MUST add further feedback for the finest place to stay/eat/drink/chill in the whole of the Lake District. Yet again we were treated exceptionally well, greeted with warm smiles and hospitality of the highest standard. Not only is the Drunken Duck an idyllic & picturesque hotel it also serves the finest of food. The quality of the produce and the skill of the kitchen staff combine to provide a gastronomic feast. Every dish we sampled over our three night stay was totally amazing from a menu of real choice, covering all tastes. And of course there is the pub part which again epitomises a perfect Lakeland setting, with log fires and superb Barngate beers brewed on the premises. If you picture a quaint country pub situated amongst the most breathtaking scenery, log fire, wooden floors and top-notch food, then you have probably just pictured the Drunken Duck. Having eaten in some of the finest Michelin star restaurants we honestly believe that the Duck is right up there with them. And by the way, the breakfast is something else, with a large choice, again all local good quality sourced ingredients. A special thanks also to Mary & Steven for looking after us so well yet again and making our stay as memorable as every one of our previous umpteen!!
Yes.......the Drunken Duck is STILL the finest in the Lake District !!!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2011 via mobile

We stayed for 3 nights at the start of April for our wedding anniversary in room 14 that was lovely!

Stunning place and anazing food and service!

Actually quite a treat that there are no drinks making facilities in the room, the ever helpful staff will come over whenever you ask, and they'll bring afternoon tea to your room too!

Meeting the ducks is a treat too, they came to greet us then joined us for drinks by the pond sitting under our chairs!

A stunning quirky place!

It rained a lot when we were there, the only thing wanting was a drying room!

• Stayed April 2011
Plymouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2011

Every member of staff, from domestic to front of house, could not have been more attentive. Nothing was too much trouble. They were friendly and efficient and treated all the guests in the same manner. The food was lovely, the beers, which were brewed on the premises, were great. The room was very comfortable with a very spacious en suite (the 5 day break was a special treat so we went for one of the "superior" rooms). The setting was gorgeous with lovely gardens. Can't recommend it enough!

Manchester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2011

I stupidly continued to eat the scallop starter even though it was cold in the centre. For my main I ordered a rare steak and as I was eating it, the waiter asked if it wasn't cooked as requested because he believed it should have been served to another diner and when I mentioned that I had eaten some of it, he reassured me stating "don't worry ..... chef will re-dress the plate"!
Unfortunately, I began to feel ill and on return to my room was violently sick. This continued until 3am. I was losing consciousness and my husband was concerned at how ill I had become and rang NHS Direct. The 'on call' doctor advised him to call an ambulance because it sounded like severe food poisoning. I chose not to go because the nearest hospital was 30 minutes away and I couldn't face it.
I was so weak that I was unable to leave the room the following day and was still feeling poorly over a week later.
On the day of departure, the hotel manager asked if I had enjoyed my stay when fully aware of my bad experience and on the bill I had been charged for the meal!!!!!
I received no contact from the owner for 3 weeks and when she eventually telephoned me she said that she had noticed me in 'Chesters' whilst on my break but decided not to speak. She was only prepared to reimburse me with the cost of my meal as she said if you went abroad and got food poisoning you would not expect to be reimbursed for the accommodation......my accommodation would have been a hospital ward if I had felt up to the ambulance journey!
I received a parcel from the Drunken Duck Inn after returning home, there was no accompanying phone call or letter from the hotel and on the packaging was written; 'found in room 26". Inside was somebody elses dirty g string, a dirty fleece and a T shirt.. I was told by the owner that they were retrieved directly after we vacated the room which begs another question...????!!!!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2011

there were 3 of us eating and we had an unacceptable gap between each of us getting our meal. one of us had a part of our meal missing. the fish was tasteless the steak sandwich average and the thick cut chips(i'd say wedges)were partly raw. we were waiting for someone to come and ask if everything was ok, or for someone to make eye contact but this was simply too much to expect. there is a reason why you have to pay before you get your food in this pub. (the mussels were however very tasty)

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to The Drunken Duck Inn? Share your experiences!