“Just WOW!” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Leicestershire
“Just WOW!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014 NEW

This was one of the best dinners we have had in a long time and we eat out frequently. Small but well cooked and tasty courses with the option of a taster menu. The menu is sensible in length and there is a good range of wines from just over £20 to pushing £200. The wine by the glass is also very good. There is also an excellent option to have a tasting dessert selection of all three deserts (excluding the cheese), this we chose and were very pleased. The presentation of all the dishes is good too.

The old stamp house is situated in the basement and the thick whitewashed walls provide an unusual ambience. Would go back the next time we visited Ambleside.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

100% Recommend
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Modern British food at its best.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014 NEW via mobile

Wonderful food and great service. Tucked away in the heart of Ambleside, it is a treat not to be missed! The food is innovative and modern but beautifully balanced, these guys really know about flavour.

Visited July 2014
Sawbridgeworth, United Kingdom
“Number One In Ambleside”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014 NEW

Without a doubt, the best food in Ambleside. All dishes were of high quality, service was friendly and the atmosphere was good as well. Its not cheap, but I think for what you are getting its certainly good value, and if you are just after some cheap large portions you can always pop to the White Lion. I'd suggest you book, as this place is only going to get busier

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Buckinghamshire
“A welcome arrival in Ambleside”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014 NEW

We visit Ambleside several times a year and being fans of "fine dining" have eaten in most of the top places in the Lake District. Having read the reviews of the OSH and being familiar with Ryan's cooking from his days as Head Chef at the Cottage in the Woods we were anticipating an excellent meal and we were not disappointed.
We chose the A la Carte menu and each course was perfectly cooked and the portion size was perfect for being able to enjoy 3 courses. (fine dining portions yes rather than Lakeland walkers portions) . Highlights were the mackerel and gooseberry starter and the turbot main course. Both the chocolate delice and the macerated berries with meadowsweet custard were excellent.
Craig does an excellent job front of house striking the right level of friendliness and is keen to share his knowledge of the food and wine. One criticism is that the other serving staff were not so "slick". Most top restaurants introduce the food when it is brought to the table and it is fitting that the OSH do this, especially as the dishes have a number of ingredients.
Will we go back.... Definitely. The Old Stamp House is providing healthy competition for our other local favourites Miller Howe, Gilpin Lodge and Linthwaite Hall.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Callander, Scotland, United Kingdom
“Very good ... but not entirely satisfied!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014 NEW

I booked this restaurant for a special birthday treat for my husband, solely on the comments I had read on Trip Advisor. My first disappointing impression was our female server's disapproving look when we asked for tap water, rather than bottled. She looked even more horrified when I asked for salt and pepper for our main course, as there was none supplied on the table, and she had to scuttle off looking for some. Don't go here if you are expecting decent sized portions. I'm not a big eater, but even I couldn't believe how minuscule my starter was! My husband's was a slightly larger portion, but still on the small side. We had lamb for the main course, which was delicious, and a reasonable size, but again vegetable portions were very small. I felt the verbal description given of every item (down to the last miniature carrot on the plate) is a bit pretentious and really not necessary, especially having waited so long to eat it! The service is very slow - at least half an hour between courses. I do realise a special dining event is meant to be a leisurely affair. However, I booked our table for 6.45pm, and having diabetes it is very important that I time my insulin injections according to my food intake. I was therefore becoming quite anxious that we were still waiting for our main course at 8.30pm, certainly not ideal for me, and which did tend to spoil our special evening. My husband kept asking if I was feeling ok. If there was going to be such a long time between courses, I think it is only fair that we should have been advised of this at the time of booking. Finally, we paid just short of £100 for two tiny starters, two mains, 1 dessert and one "average" bottle of wine! I don't mind paying for a good service, and would have gladly given this restaurant 5 stars if I felt I had received 5 star service but, on this occasion, sadly we did not.

• Visited June 2014