“Room 1 (double) is great” 3 of 5 stars

2 Cambridge Villas
4.0 of 5 Guest house   |   2 Church St., Ambleside LA22, England   |
Ranked #19 of 84 Ambleside B&B and Inns
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Room 1 (double) is great”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2011

Well placed for the town centre. Some rooms are small but all are clean. Service friendly. Breakfast good. Off street parking available. We would stay again. Ambleside itself is expensive though: especially the restaurants!

Room Tip: Go for Room 1: Large and good view.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2011

I stayed in 2 Cambridge Villas for five nights to use as a base to explore the southern Lakes. Booking two rooms for myself, wife, and two teenies was a breeze. All I needed to know was either on their well published web-site, or given to me over the 'phone during the booking.
Upon arrival, parking was available to me at the rear of the property, and this remained so during my entire stay.
The two rooms were very comfortable, extremely quiet, and well provided for. Details included a hair dryer, and a fresh Kit Kat each morning with the tea making kit. Our rooms were cleaned each day, bed made up, and fresh towels provided. Brilliant!
The fare on offer for breakfast was unparalleled: either the full healthy option which included cerials, toast, musli and fruit, or the "Fat One" which consisted of the normal English breakfast suspects. Excellent!
The entire building has been tastefully decorated and maintained to a high standard, and as it was leading up to easter, the front garden was a delight to sit in after a hard day with the kids...
The Villas are located just a moment away from the town centre, which offers more take aways and restaurants that it really should. Menus for nearly all are available in the reception area, as are comprehensive guides to walking the local area.
On offer were free membership cards to a local health centre which offered a very good swimming pool, sauna, hot tubs, steam room etc etc. DO NOT PASS UP ON THIS OFFER. The cards are for free, and are avaiable from Bridged upon request. The pool is just a 5 minute drive from Ambleside and is brilliant after a hot day in the Lakes!!!
All in all, this was a very good B & B, one that I would both return to, and unhesitatingly recommend to anybody wishing the visit Ambleside.

Room Tip: Recommend room 1 to the front!
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2010

The #1 ' Red Room' we stayed in had a comfortable bed, the bathroom was adequate, albeit small, and had no problems with water pressure. The B&B is not on a main thoroughfare so there were no issues with traffic noise in what can be a very busy village.

The English breakfast was tasty and there were delicious vegetarian sausages available. The hostess was very accommodating, even helping us out with a tight spot with our laundry. Note: There will apparently be a launderette in Ambleside soon.

The parking situation was a bit tricky, given that they can only really house 2-3 cars in what is ~5 room B&B. However, every effort was made to coordinate parking between guests such that nobody was too inconvenienced. When having to use the pay car park directly out the back Bridged provided money for the meter. From my observations this would not be an uncommon problem in Ambleside so please don't let it put you off this excellent B&B.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Holmfirth
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2010

Stayed two nights with my partner at 2 Cambridge Villas for a short weekend break. The owners were welcoming and friendly throughout our stay. Our room (1) was clean, well decorated, had a good sized ensuite with double shower that was great with loads of hot water (important after a hard day's walking). The bed was really comfortable and there was no noise from other rooms or outside. The full english breakfasts were excellent, we were even offered an early breakfast at 7.40am as we had to leave early one of the mornings of our stay. The B&B is well located just down the road from loads of pubs and eateries, and there is a paper shop next door (handy for getting a sunday newspaper before breakfast). The hosts also sorted out some free parking for the duration of our stay. Overall, an excellent stay.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Southampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2010

My husband and I spent 3 nights at this B&B and had a wonderful time. The location is great. We arrived on the train in Windermere and easily caught the bus to Ambleside which lets you off very close to the B&B. We took two beautiful and long walks right from town, so being without a car didn't matter. Ambleside has loads of restaurants too. The breakfast is the basic full English but the hosts are happy to make you what you want. They were also very helpful in suggesting walks. We stayed in room 1 and it was large with a big window looking out over the street. We'd definitely recommend staying here.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
North East
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2009

Having read Jumana's review I feel I must respond with our own opinions of the place.

We have been visiting this B&B for approximately the last 6 years and we have never wanted to stay anywhere else. Bridged and Charlie are excellent hosts and we have never found any reason to complain. The B&B has 5 rooms and we have booked all 5 of them in the past when we have visited Ambleside with family and friends. During our visits we have stayed in 3 of the 5 rooms ourselves and each one is very nice. The breakfast room is decorated to the highest order which is fitting for the excellent breakfast that is served up. I totally agree with the previous reviewer when he says the hosts are very nice with nothing of any trouble to them. Always there to give sound advice, deal with requests and help to dry any footwear etc. they make you feel home from home.

We would not have kept returning or even thought of bringing family and friends if this B&B did not live up to certain standards.

We cannot fault 2 Cambridge Villas in any way and we for sure will be returning time and time again. Jumana only needs to take a look at the positive reviews for the guest house on this site and maybe should have read the guest book in the hall way. Our names and comments are within the guest book from the very first visit along with other guests we have recommended and the comments are very commendable. Just keep doing what you are doing as it is fantastic.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Leicester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2009

This is the first time I've visited 2 Cambridge Villas and I have to say I have no complaints whatsoever. The room was lovely, the breakfast was perfect, the couple who own it were very friendly and helpful, and local, which I always think is nice.

I was there with my partner and three month old baby and the owner very kindly prepared a tray for breakfast that I could take up to my partner. The parking was really convenient and there was also no feeling that there was any pressure to leave dead on 10am.

Regarding the review from 'Jumana' below, my experience of the B&B was completely different and I find half of what is in that review very hard to believe. I can only assume they had some sort of grudge against the place. One complaint they make is that the breakfast was the same both mornings... Regarding that, firstly, there is a choice of what to have, so if the breakfast is the same, it's got to be the customer's fault, but secondly, and most importantly, it's a B&B so I have no idea what Jumana was expecting. I had the full English both mornings and I'd have been disappointed if I couldn't have done (which I imagine would be the case for most normal guests).

So, to summarise, it was a great weekend and I'll certianly go again.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family

Been to 2 Cambridge Villas? Share your experiences!