“Smashing bed and breakfast element” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Millbeck Farm

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ambleside
Millbeck Farm
You added Millbeck Farm to your Saves list
Great Langdale, Ambleside LA22 9JU U, England   |
Ranked #66 of 109 Ambleside B&B and Inns
Bury St. Edmunds, United Kingdom
“Smashing bed and breakfast element”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2011

I can see there have been poor reviews of the 'out-house' Cottage rental for Mill Beck Farm, however my review relates to the Bed and Breakfast within the farmhouse itself.

Placement within the Langdale Valley is absolutely spectacular, and the farmhouse itself suits its surroundings very well. We found Susan, the keeper obliging, helpful, abrupt and a real-life storybook farmer's wife who makes spectacular porridge and puts together humungous sandwiches that appear to have been sliced with an axe. A no nonsense, don't-ask-don't-get attitude proper character. Her rugged, sociable set-up sees all the B&B guests from the main house itself sit together for breakfast; something we'd never tried before but which works beautifully.

Comfy beds, warm room, creaky floorboards, shared bathroom (massive bath / shower combi) and toilet, outstanding views and one can walk straight out of the door and up the hill to the tarn above.

There is nothing pretentious about this place. Everyone gets on with their normal lives; the farm carries on, the housework gets done and the guests seem to be secondary to the cause, transient family members for whom breakfast is cooked, beds are made, it all gets paid for and off we go. I like it, though; it's unique and we've never stayed anywhere like that before. I'd recommend it to a friend, yes; but I'd recommend it to *my* friends. People I know would like this sort of thing.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Cambridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2010

This has to rate as one of the greatest B&B's in the country. We have stayed there many times and have always received a warm welcome and enjoyed the friendly atmosphere. It offers exactly what the web site says - good quality facilities in a family house. If you are walking and want to swap stories, or compare routes around a cozy fire - its just great. The breakfasts are quite fantastic - expect to be given more than you can eat (or is good for you!). Evening meals across the way at the Stickle Barn have become a family favourite, and just add to the atmophere of hearty living and excellent camaradarie. Expect all that goes with a working sheep farm, and enjoy the experience! An excelent base for walking the Landales.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2010

We used Side House Farm and Cottage as a big group had a brilliant time. The accommodation was lovely and cosy with spot on facilities. As ever in the Lakes there's loads to go and do but from this cottage it is 30 secs walk to a stream which our young kids loved playing in.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
UK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2010

Stayed at the self-catering cottage (Side House Cottage) managed by Millbeck Farm. The garden to the rear of the cottage was used by the occupants of the adjoining Side House Farm building (which can occupy up to 6 people). The garden overlooks the kitchen/dining area of the cottage, resulting in a complete lack of privacy. This is definitely a deal-breaker if you value privacy and seclusion. The kitchen extractor hood was dirty and there was mould in the bathroom and main bedroom.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
uk
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2009

...unless you're prepared keep quiet if you're not happy with any part of the accommodation or service. Be warned. We stayed in the cottage run by Mrs Taylforth and the facilities are NOT as advertised on the - mis-spelt - website. This meant that we had to put up with guests in the adjoining cottage hanging washing in front of our cottage door and sitting so close to our kitchen window that we we forced to eat in another room. The cottage is full of damp - there is mould in many places - and the cooker extractor looks like a health hazard. I have seen the kitchen at Millbeck on the morning when I have handed back the key and I certainly would not want to eat anything coming out of it. After the appalling service we received at the hands of Mrs Taylforth, she though it appropriate to 'waive' the £10.40 charge for electricity as a gesture, of what I am not quite sure. Don't be fooled by the lovely location, the reality is very different.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Wilsonville, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2008

My friend and I stayed here over the Easter weekend, and even with (or maybe especially with) the snow it was absolutely lovely.

As the previous reviewer stated, we were greeted with tea and cake, and treated to a lovely breakfast with the other lodgers each morning. The bedrooms are clean and comfortable, with plenty of tea, coffee, and cocoa on the side table, and the common room is cozy with a wood fire each evening and several books to read about the local area. The only downside was that the walls of the two adjacent rooms are paper thin, and you can clearly hear the voices of the neighbors during conversations, as well as the clinking of the water glasses that are left at the in-room sinks (not to mention snoring). One twin room at the other end of the hall did not have this problem, as it had a substantial wall. This really was just a minor detail, though, and you shouldn't let this keep you away.

Since my friend and I were in the area to hike, the location really couldn't have been better - it's just at the base of a trail to Stickle Tarn, and there are easy walks up the valley, as well. The scenery is beautiful, so even if you don't hike, it's well worth the trip up there.

With a car, Ambleside isn't too far to go for meals, although there are a couple of places closer serving pub food.

We had an excellent time, and I hope to make it back someday.

• Liked — Location, friendly hosts, views
  • Disliked — Thin walls
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
New York, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2008

An absolutely delightful b&b located on a working farm in a most beautiful part of the Lake District. I was personally looking for a nice, cozy place to rest and relax after a very busy school year and found exactly what I was looking for! Upon arrival (via public bus from Ambleside) I was given my room and encouraged to enjoy the brilliant weather. I deposited my belongings in a very comfortable and clean room, and brought my book outside to the picnic table in the front of the house. The owner then brought me some tea and cake, which was absolutely fantastic!!

The location is very remote, and even if you have a car it might be too far to drive back and forth for meals. I ate both of my dinners at the lodge next door--normal pub foord. The scenery is absolutely beautiful, and the area is extremely popular with hill walkers and hikers. I myself am neither, but I was able to ramble around various lanes and hills and found it very delightful.

Breakfast is included, and was always cooked to order. Because it is small (only 3 rooms), I had the opportunity to chat with my fellow guests during breakfast and found them all to be absolutely lovely--
most were up to partake in hiking, and one family even invited me to tag along!

In all it was the perfect place for me. A few things to know, however--there are two shared bathrooms, but there is a sink in each room. Also, because it is a working farm, there is a lot of activity going on, and I often felt like I was interrupting when asking the owners for anything.

In sum, I would highly recommend this location to anyone looking for a peaceful break away from the crowds.

• Liked — Location and atmosphere
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Millbeck Farm? Share your experiences!