“Mercure Hotel, Hull” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Mercure Hull Royal Hotel

You added Mercure Hull Royal Hotel to your Saves list
Mercure Hull Royal Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   170 Ferensway, Kingston-upon-Hull HU1 3UF, England (Formerly Royal Hotel Hull)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Up to 40% OFF THIS WINTER
Ranked #13 of 22 Hotels in Kingston-upon-Hull
“Mercure Hotel, Hull”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013 via mobile

I took my husband for a night away here at the end of July for his birthday, the reception staff were very polite upon arrival, confirmed I'd already booked & paid for a double room, my paperwork stated double room. Got to the room & it was very clean & the decor was fresh. The room was very small and the view from the window was several other windows! but I'd got the room for about £40.00 on booking.com & thought you get what you pay for! But the bed wasn't a double it was a three quarter bed, pushed against the wall (no where else to put it due to te smallness if the room!) there was no air con facility & due to where the room was facing & laid out we got no fresh air through from the window, it was a horrible nights sleep! I let hubby take the wall side with it being his birthday & I did my best to not fall out the bed all night! When we went to use the bath the next day it didn't work & the pull up device didn't move so we had to have a shower! The shower had wasn't flexible & wasn't in a reasonable position for getting a shower so that was a nightmare trying to shower!!

So I don't feel my experience was the best, I've had this before where you get a cheap room & your put in a crap room! I should of known better, but the least I expected was a double bed!

The hotel has lots of character & that is lovely to see. X

• Stayed July 2013
royalhotelmanager, Manager at Mercure Hull Royal Hotel, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review on Tripadvisor. I am disappointed to read that you stay wasn't entirely satisfactory. I have taken your feedback on board. I would urge you to contact me directly upon you next stay in order for me personally to look after your arrangements. If there is anything I can help you with, please contact me.
Regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
St. Albans, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

Stayed here for a couple of nights whilst doing a show at The KC. Lovely old building with lots of character and Victorian charm. The room was comfortable and clean, but even though I asked for a quiet room, I could hear the traffic noise as soon as I walked in. This was because the window was open (and propped up with a bit of old skirting as the sash cords were broken). I closed it and tried the aircon, but that stopped after a few seconds and flashed all its lights, so was presumably faulty.

The breakfast was good and the view of the station out of the window was rather unusual and different.

When we came to check out, there was a long queue and not enough staff, so it took over 15 minutes. The staff were remarkably cheerful, considering how stressed they probably were at the time.

For anyone staying here who likes Indian food, the Cinnamon restaurant across the road is very good.

Would I come back? Possibly - if I got a room facing the rear of the building and if the aircon worked.

Room Tip: Get one at the back, away from the noisy road.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
royalhotelmanager, Manager at Mercure Hull Royal Hotel, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
Thank you for leaving a review. Please accept my apologies for the fact that your stay wasn't satisfactory. I have taken note of the issues you describe and I will follow this up with the team members. I am pleased that you have taken the time to bring these issues to my attention. I do hope that this will not stop you returning to the hotel on a future visit to Hull.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

I booked a package deal for Valentines Day for myself and my boyfriend and were promised a room upgrade, champagne and chocolates in the room, with dinner and breakfast included, and a late check-out. In terms of the food, it was lovely, dinner and breakfast were great. The room however wasn't upgraded which was disappointing. In the morning as we were enjoying our room service breakfast in bed the cleaner came to clean our room, and rudely told us that we were supposed to have checked out by this time. We told her that we had a late check-out arranged and no apology was made, which is ultimately why i've only rated 3*. I'm a huge believer in good customer service and this tainted our stay slightly, along with not getting a room upgrade when promised.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
royalhotelmanager, Manager at Mercure Hull Royal Hotel, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

I stay in this hotel on a regular basis. The staff are really friendly and helpfully. One of the best things about this hotel is that they do a great room service menu. Another good thing it that they have free wifi.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
royalhotelmanager, Manager at Mercure Hull Royal Hotel, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Thank you for your kind review on Tripadvisor. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay in our hotel and that the staff were really friendly and helpful. I am delighted that you also enjoy our room seervice menu at the hotel. I will passed on your comments to the chef and I look forward to welcome you again in the near future. With kind regards Mercure Royal Hotel - Hull
Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013 via mobile

Had a fantastic time at the hotel whicj was located at the train station. Very welcoming and friendly. The gay flag was flying to celebrate gay pride 2013. Brilliant, felt totally safe and welcomed.

If I had 1 negative to say it would be the need for more tea/coffee/milk in the rooms and to use proper cafetieres to filter the coffee in the restaurant. But still more than happy with the stay !

Thankyou and see you all again !

• Stayed July 2013
Thank you for your kind review on Tripadvisor. I am pleased to read that your stay was welcoming and friendly. I am sorry that there were not enough beverage refreshments in your room, however we would have gladly replemished them for you had you called reception. I have passed on your comments about the coffee in the Restaurant to the Restaurant Manager and I look forward to welcome you again in the near future. With kind regards Mercure Royal Hotel - Hull
manchester
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

very nice stay, central location, with good staff,free car parking,This is a true find in hull, a hotel with lots of character,located right at the train station,with easy access, nice breakfast in a relaxed setting.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
royalhotelmanager, Manager at Mercure Hull Royal Hotel, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Thank you for leaving a kind review on Tripadvisor. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay from start to finish. The team works hard to deliver excellent customer service, and I am pleased that the hotel has impressed you. I have passed on your comments to my team. I hope I am able to welcome you again soon.
regards,

Alison
West Riding, UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

It is not difficult to see why this hotel achieves its very variable ratings. It is a venerable old building fronting right up to a busy, noisy main road and integral with the station at the rear - as originally intended. This means that rooms at the front are subject to a lot of noise, and if the air-conditioning fails or is inadequate (not unusual according to previous reports) the only solution is to open the double glazed windows and let in the noise with the fresh air. It is no co-incidence that the top 3 ranked hotels in Hull all have quiet, air-conditioned rooms. It may be expensive. but Mercure must sort out the aircon of this property.
On the other hand the in-house restaurant is excellent and on its own would rate 5 stars!. The dinner choice is good, the meals are tasty and well presented, portions are plentiful and include a mix of vegetables. Probably as good a hotel meal as you can get anywhere & for a reasonable price. Rooms are obviously variable in size but our Premier room was well kitted out with comfortable beds.
Many hotel nowadays clearly make their money from weddings and other events but they neglect the comfort of their staying guests at their peril.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
royalhotelmanager, Manager at Mercure Hull Royal Hotel, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review on Tripadvisor. I am disappointed to read that you stay wasn't entirely satisfactory. However I was pleased to read that your meal in the hotel was tasty and well presented. I am pleased to confirm we are starting the extensive repairs to the aircon in the hotel next week. The hussle and bussle of the city centre will always be around my hotel, however, I would urge you to contact me directly upon you next stay in order for me personally to look after your arrangements. If there is anything I can help you with, please contact me.
Alison

Been to Mercure Hull Royal Hotel? Share your experiences!