“Come here at least once a month. It's fab” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Campanile Hull - City Center

You added Campanile Hull - City Center to your Saves list
Campanile Hull - City Center
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Beverley Road | (Entrance on Norfolk Street), Kingston-upon-Hull HU2 9AN, England   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
ADDITIONAL £7 DISCOUNT
Ranked #16 of 22 Hotels in Kingston-upon-Hull
Bridlington UK
“Come here at least once a month. It's fab”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013 via mobile

We come here at least once a month.
The rooms are always spotless & lovely clean bedding with crisp white towels
Read other reviews & don't understand some people.
This hotel is a budget hotel & to be honest is worth every penny.
The staff have always been great & nothing too much trouble.
Breakfast is nice hot & fresh
Check out is midday which we find useful

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Hartlepool, United Kingdom
1,048 helpful votes 1,048 helpful votes
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for two nights. An ideal location for sightseeing in Hull. Car park is free so leave the car and enjoy the city.
Rooms are clean and comfortable. A good value, no frills hotel at a very cheap price.

• Stayed September 2013
Colchester, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

When the Campanile opened in Hull it was one of the few (budget) hotels in the city centre. It has since been usurped by a huge Travelodge across the road as well as an ibis and a Premier Inn nearby too. It might be a little tired and in need of a bit of TLC, nevertheless, the Campinile is pet-friendly and offers excellent value for a room-only rate.
Arriving on a stinkingly wet Friday night we were greeted by a very friendly receptionist, Anne. Our room was ground-floor roadside, but as there was a greensward directly in front, it was perfect for letting the dogs have a bit of grass to sniff. Having arrived more tired and later than expected, not to mention the prevailing weather conditions, we decided to forego finding a local bistro and opted to eat in the hotel's restaurant. Anne was the chef-du-jour as well as the receptionist and barmaid, so while we enjoyed an aperitif in the lounge area, Anne cooked up a storm and served us a hearty plateful of fish & chips and gammon steak as good if not better than any other pub grub we've eaten. It was just what we needed and the dogs enjoyed the leftovers!
The room was clean and functional; ok, the remote control for the TV didn't work and neither did the hair-dryer, but those are hardly deal-breakers. The king bed was a bit on the springy side but comfortable with extra pillows. The bathroom had a bath with overhead shower and there were plenty of towels.
Anne was on hand again at breakfast time although she was assisted by a breakfast cook and our breakfast was very tasty.
I cannot fault the service we received and if you just need a bed for the night, there are a lot of worst places to stay than the Campanile Hull.

Room Tip: If you're sensitive to traffic noise, request an upstairs courtyard room.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

Awful, strange place. Not accommodating with food requests. wanted an egg on a steak, with no chips - low carb diet. large receptionist lady said no, cant be done. They do Gammon and egg. they break an egg onto a frying pan and grill the gammon. how hard is it to break an egg into frying pan and grill a steak instead. I even offered to pay for the egg. what a joke.
Never staying at a campanile again. The bed is great if you are 5 stone. you don't sink in it. The mattress is around 20 years old and sprung base. I had to move mattress onto floor to get a good night sleep. Good job room is large and this can be done. my advice - go sleep at Premier inn across the road, you will be met with professional and helpful staff. Avoid !

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
sheffield
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

We have just returned from this hotel today after a two night stay and I do not understand the negative reviews. We paid £34.00 per night for room only and we were not disappointed.The rooms are basic but clean (cleaners came in daily and changed towels etc) and tidy , plenty of storage space for a short break and a lovely bathroom with heater. The staff were all friendly and helpful especially the blond lady on reception.It is free parking at the hotel and check out not until noon. It is ideally situated for the City Centre with the Old Town, Marina and docks all within easy walking distance. Do not be put off by negative reviews!!! Try it and be pleasantly surprised. We did not eat in the restaurant but the meals were competitively priced.

Room Tip: Top floor, overlooking the car park.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

This was my second experience in a Campanile hotel. I booked up after being pleasantly surprised last month in the Campanile Bradford whilst on business. This one in Hull is a very different story.

In the style of an American Motel with rooms opening directly onto the carpark/upper level walkways the reception/bar area were in a separate building which closed at 11pm. Unfortunately there was no vending machines either so if you wanted any form of drink or snack after this time you have to plan ahead and take your own.

After finishing work I went to the bar for a quiet beer which cost £5.15 (as I found out the next day as I checked out). The duty manager of whom I can't remember the name though she was a larger lady with brown hair was reasonably pleasant until you asked her for anything. Everything seemed to be a chore for her. She spent the majority of the time sitting down behind the bar and was reading a newspaper when I arrived. She also complained to me about another member of staff!
I observed another guest ask her for 2 coffees and she told the lady that she could go into the restaurant area herself and get them from the machine. The manager's words were "I'll let you but you must tell me what you got so I can add them to your bill!".

The room was small, dated and had dirty walls and carpet. I unfortunately had a room facing the main road which was noisy all night (Thursday). I had little sleep and felt tired and irritable when I woke for my reheated "Full English breakfast" which was overpriced at £8.75. There was a continental option but the fruit looked like it had been in the trays for about a week and even then there was hardly any of it.

When I came to check out the same duty manager was having her breakfast and had to get up and come to the bar to print out my bill and take payment. She told me that "as soon as she sits down for her breakfast all hell breaks loose" Very slight overstatement!

The hotel boasts FREE Wifi "In all areas" though they don't mention how intermittent it was. I have a new Ipad for work and I couldn't use it on the internet in my room.

Although this experience has not put me off Campanile Hotels I would NEVER stay in this one again and wish I had read Trip Advisor before booking.

Location was good for the city though as I drove out I couldn't help but think I would have been better off in the Travelodge over the road!

Room Tip: Rooms near the carpark side are quieter and if they aren't available you'll probably just ge...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at the campanile Saturday 17th August, cheap enough price, room is tired but clean but good for the price.
On arrival though we were checked in by the manager. I cannot remember her name but she was a voluptuous lady with long brown hair. We got there, she was friendly enough in a fashion but she found the job a chore. She huffed and puffed while checking us in, got mad with the computer and huffed and puffed again, countered on when someone rang to make a bookin as it seemed an inconvenience to her and then a couple Came in for food and she told them there would be a 45 minute wait. They said that was fine and sat down! She then huffed and puffed again and said to us that she had told them 45 mins hoping that they wouldn't want to wait and would go elsewhere!!
Don't get me wrong, she was nice enough to us but her customer service skills had a lot to be desired

• Stayed August 2013

Been to Campanile Hull - City Center? Share your experiences!