“Characterful old building, friendly helpful staff” 4 of 5 stars

You added The Royal Wells Hotel to your Saves list
The Royal Wells Hotel
3.0 of 5 Inn   |   Mount Ephraim, Royal Tunbridge Wells TN4 8BE, England   |
Bath, UK
“Characterful old building, friendly helpful staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

Stayed 4 nights with family at this centrally located hotel. The team of friendly helpful staff were a great asset, and the public lounge and restaurant areas very pleasant airy and sunny. Bedrooms were ok but will benefit from the planned modernisation. Public smoking at the entrance detracted from an otherwise very pleasant frontage.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

Stayed 12th to 15th Aug. in this great hotel full of old world charm. All staff were fantastic. Just so friendly and helpful. Food in restaurant and pub was wonderful. Best lamb chops I have ever had, and I had lamb at The Ritz last week! Would recommend to anyone wanting a few days away in a great hotel in a lovely town.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

Our stay at the Royal Wells Hotel was part of a group booking for our daughter's wedding.
The customer service was equal to the best we have experienced in any hotel we have stayed in.
The building is old and this is reflected in the rooms. While they are characterful, some modernisation and redecoration would improve them.
In general the stay was pleasant and this was as a direct result of the sensational staff.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

I and my new wife got married at the Royal Wells Hotel on Saturday 27th July 2013. My partner and her family stayed in 2 rooms that has a lounge area in between which was utilized as an area where our little one (2 year old) slept the night before then I and my wife stayed in the honeymoon suite on the night of our wedding and about 7 other rooms were in use by our wedding party that evening.

In the morning when speaking to our friends and family, everyone confirmed they had an enjoyable stay and the rooms were comfortable, full of character and clean. I do believe 1 or 2 of the bedrooms may need a little TLC which I understand is in the pipeline but you compare the prices of stay to other hotels in the surrounding areas (including Travelodge) and the value for money aspect is very good.

I am surprised at some of the negative reviews on here – I guess some people just set ridiculously high standards for what is deemed I believe a 3* hotel. However as mentioned by the last reviewer Tina our wedding organiser was simply brilliant throughout the planning and on the day and nothing was too much when requested by us or any of our guests to her and her staff.

Martin the general manager also made himself available whenever we required some assistance and treated me and my lovely wife to a bottle of bubbly on him.

The customer service of all the staff was very good and they are very well staffed throughout the day and night. We decided for a sit down 3 course meal for our wedding breakfast and the amount of exceptional positive comments we were given for the food was a very high percentage. The complimentary breakfast in the morning was very nice too – especially the fresh local sausages!

All in all I couldn’t rate this hotel highly and although a local to the area I would have no hesitation in staying again and will certainly return for drinks and meals in the near future.

Whatever the rating is guided by the AA – It ticked all the boxes to making our special day one to remember – 5*.

Room Tip: Each room has charm that I viewed and offers something different to the next
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Heathfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

We had our civil partnership and reception here and could not find fault with any part of our day. This is mainly down to our wonderful wedding planner Tina who ensured that it all ran smoothly and kept us calm! From organising our day, to making sure the food and drinks were served on time. Any questions were answered quickly and any thing that people wanted to do to help us celebrate were accommodated. Our room was perfect and only wish I had more time to soend in it. The food for the reception was delicious as was the breakfast. Yes the hotel is a little dated, but it gives it a little more character! Thank you very much to all at the hotel as you ensured our day had lots of happy memories!!

• Stayed August 2013
Surrey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

I try to be as fair as I can when I write these reviews because they are so important to the success of a business. In a couple of areas I could give this hotel an excellent review. The staff were very attentive and friendly and the breakfast venue, service and food were outstanding.

The hotel was taken over by the brewers, Shepherd Neame last September and according to the staff, they intend a complete refurbishment in the near future. The building is very historic (I don't know if it is listed) and obviously needs a lot of money spent on it to bring it up to date. The carpets, particularly in the public areas, are quite frankly a disgrace. No wonder the young duty manager chatted to us so animatedly as he took us to our room!

Room 1 is a superior double for which we paid £120 including breakfast. It was not worth the money. I don't know when it was last decorated, but there were marks and stains on the wallpaper and the paintwork and window need urgent attention. It is also very dark with a view down into a scruffy piece of land below. There was also a constant dripping noise near the chimney breast. However, the bed was very comfortable and the sheets and towels were of high quality. In common with other reviewers, the blanket needs replacing with a light duvet, which would be much more hygienic.

We liked Tunbridge Wells very much and there certainly seemed to be a lot of foreign visitors there. The Royal Wells Hotel could be very successful and hopefully the new owners will do this. In the meantime, could I suggest they reduce the cost of the rooms to reflect the state of the interior?

Room Tip: Room 1 is very near the toilets used for functions and there is a noisy swing door to gain access to...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Maidstone, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013 via mobile

The lounge/bar area is clean and well kept, drinks are expensive. Rooms are expensive, and in much need of renovation. Corridor carpets are worn and faded. Bathroom had black patches on the walls. Shower head had rust. Window in the bedroom was so bad you could see daylight through the rotten wooden frame. The mattress was so cheap, we had massive roll together, and if one moved, the other bounced for a minute! We stayed as a last minute decision on a Friday night. Agreed a price for the room with a member of staff at 9.30pm. But in the morning we were told it was £20 more. £95.00 for a crappy double room. Breakfast not included. Not impressed.

• Stayed July 2013

Been to The Royal Wells Hotel? Share your experiences!