“1 week for business” 3 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Inn   |   Mount Ephraim, Royal Tunbridge Wells TN4 8BE, England   |
Zug, Switzerland
“1 week for business”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

I stayed for 1 week at the beginning of february for business. The hotel looks like a traditional british building, wood outside and on the floor, old style furniture in the room.
The room was quite ok other than it was very hot and I had to turn the heater off and open the window, the bathroom was very small with not much space to put my things over the sink. The sink had 2 different pipes for cold and hot water, didn't see them in years and make you have one hand cold and one hot. There's no bidet so you must shower more than necessary.
The bed was confortable enough, the closet was small with tea/coffee set and 5/6 clothes hangers.
There's free wifi in all the hotel, but the network filters the content of some webpages (like we were in Iran but that's not hotel's fault).
One bad thing is thar the hotel has got no gym.
The pub at night is very nice with good selection of beers and other beverages, it closes a bit early (11pm) but everything closes early in UK.
Breakfast was ok, sometimes you find croissant but sometimes not, you can order english breakfast from the kitchen which is fast enough.
It's good if you have to stay a few nights and you need to go close-by by foot.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
tunbridge wells
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

I have been meaning to write a review for ages. We held our wedding reception here last June and from the moment we booked to the day after everything and everyone at the Royal Wells were brilliant. Nothing was too much trouble, we booked out every room bar one and all of our guest had a good stay. The day was made extra special having the place to ourselves, the food was fantastic and even now, 6 months on, guests talk of the vibe and food. I stayed the night before with bridesmaid and family, I was put at ease at dinner and breakfast by the staff who knew I had my big day, The morning after the wedding we were well looked after at breakfast and even when I had not had a chance to eat all of mine as guests kept coming and talking to us I was brought fresh food and hot coffee. I am so glad we chose here and love the fact I can go every year on our anniversary. I have given 4 rating for the rooms only because not all are done yet but if the renovated standard is anything to go by they will all be amazing soon.

Room Tip: I looked at most rooms and all seemed great - we stayed in Room 10 - no view as such but a great roo...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Stirling, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Wonderful building, wonderful staff but.......the room was terrible.
Horrible hairy blankets . I presume the blankets are not changed for each person...disgusting in this day and age !!, Peeling paint , stained ceilings, dirty curtains, dirty tiles very badly wallpapered. This room was bought at a discounted price and still cost £90 for one person so it was not cheap...just nasty !

Room Tip: find another hotel !!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Letchworth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

This was my first time staying here and to be honest it does need a bit of TLC. The check in was quick enough and reception area tidy, if a little dated but welcoming enough. The room I had was called Mrs Prouse (25) and it was not a mans room! Although it was fairly large with a nice bathroom, it was sadly let down by the decor and old wooden window frames which let the icy draught in! Possibly bearable in the summer but not very nice in January when it is snowing!
I ate in the bar and must say the food was pretty good, not spectacular but decent enough at an acceptable price. Breakfast was served in the main restaurant area and that was well appointed and very well decorated, hopefully this trend will extend to the rooms! Breakfast was a cooked to order full English served on day two (Friday) by a very pleasant waitress, very chirpy for a cold morning.
Free WiFi through 'The Cloud' was a nice touch considering some more up-market hotels still charge for it.
I would consider using this hotel again, but would prefer a different room!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
RoyalTunbridge Wells
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

We stayed at this hotel in room 8 on the night of 8th December.
I've stayed here a few times before, and always had good rooms.
This time however...The room was shabby and grubby looking with a scruffy old four poster that creaked and swayed and the canopy looked as though it was about to come crashing down and squish us in the night.The wallpaper would have had Oscar Wilde running screaming and the carpet had stains of a dubious nature.
Only one wall light worked and the grotty old curtains were stained and ripped,and didn't even reach the window sill.
As for the bathroom, there was a rolltop bath which you wouldn't want to even bath your dog in and no seperate shower.The toilet seat was clinging bravely on by one screw and the half loo roll was balanced on the top of the cistern. The anaglypta wallpaper was peeling from the walls, the light over the sink didn't work, and the 3 towels provided were rough and smelt rather sinister.
The filthy net curtain thrown at the window made one feel queasy,and the carpet was again stained.The steps leading up to the room were quite hard to negotiate, particularly if you were groping about in the dark, or you'd had one too many, which you'd probably want to do if you had to spend a night in room 8...
There was some kind of function going on downstairs, which meant constant racket into the early hours, and the occupants of the room upstairs were obviously practising their River Dancing skills.
After a few hours broken sleep, we attempted to order breakfast in the room, but my friend was told it had finished at 10...This was at 5 past 10.
He managed to negotiate a bacon sandwich and coffee which arrived about 20 minutes later.
His bacon looked and smelt disgusting and the coffee was barely enough for one cup, despite him ordering for 2 people. Which was a blessing really, as it was lukewarm brown sludge.
This room cost £120.
I felt awful, as it was myself that had told him I'd been here before and that's why he'd booked it.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the refurbished rooms.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Belford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

Having booked this hotel to visit family in Tunbridge Wells we expected a level of quality from the £120/night price tag of higher than we had.
The room was shabby with a decor of an oriental theme. Unfortunately certain areas of the oriental coverings on the wardrobe doors were peeling off badly. The paintwork was badly scuffed, light bulbs had blown and I can't remember when I last saw a tv that old (yes I can, The Glasshouse in Edinburgh). We live in a 200 year old house with less moving floorboards than this building.
There was a major crack above the door in the bathroom and the bathroom was not heated. Instead there was a free standing bamboo towel rail leaning against the wall which was happily scraping the wall paper down to the plaster. Not the best design feature.
Breakfast was also not the best. The staff were somewhat inattentive managing to get our orders wrong both mornings and disappearing for long periods of time so we had to go and find them in order to ask for another cup of coffee.
All in all not the stay we expected and we would not go back

Room Tip: Tough one. There are so many squeaking floorboards I doubt there is a quiet room in the hotel. But d...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Somerset
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

Anyone who values cleanses,quietness and good standard of hotel please don't go here....
I arrived at the hotel eailer this week my first impressions was the hotel was well worn but decent enough for one night, this shortly changed once I arrived in my room to find the toilet was cleaned from the last visitor: a few days old feces laying in the bottom of the pan was enough to make me feel sick. After complaining to the general manager nothing was done just a half hearted appology.
Also room five is situated opposite to the restaurant toilets so most of the night and very early morning you hear so much noise from people talking, doors shutting and chains going.

The icing on the cake was a work party directly down stairs, the noise from the disco was enough to keep me awake at 73bp (had to download an app to see how bad it was) trying to fall asleep to Christmas songs was certainly an experience

Really would not expect this from a hotel charging £120 per night , after complaining they reduced it to £95 but still not worth it

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business

Been to The Royal Wells Hotel? Share your experiences!