“Willn definitely stay again” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Smith & Western Tunbridge Wells

and 1 more site!
You added Smith & Western Tunbridge Wells to your Saves list
Smith & Western Tunbridge Wells
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Linden Park Road, Royal Tunbridge Wells TN2 5QL, England   |
London, England, United Kingdom
“Willn definitely stay again”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

Nice room and staff were very friendly. Cosy atmosphere. Shame the shower was so weak as bathroom very nice and good size shower cubicle. Walking distance to 'the Pantiles' (5 minutes) and 15-20 walk to the main shooping centre. Train station 10 minutes walk away. Nice breakfast. Would definitely visit there again

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Cork, Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

Was looking forward to staying at this hotel, the reviews I had read led me to believe it was a great place to stay. Firstly it's located on a busy approach road to Sainsburys supermarket which is practically on top of the hotel. We were shown to the room on arrival, which I have to stay was very nice as was the bathroom, the downside of this was the country music playing in the bar was so loud we could hear it in the room,even above the noise of the non stop traffic outside,also the shower was so weak it was almost impossible to use it, I did not dine in the hotel that evening,but I did have breakfast which was only fair, when we arrived in the breakfast room there was no one to ask where to sit, also the cleaning staff were busy hovering,and as we ate our breakfast the cleaning lady passed with a bucket full of dirty water and proceeded to mop the floor at the other end of the restaurant, I was glad I was only staying the one night, certainly would not stay here again,the cost of staying here was the most expensive of the 4 hotels I stayed in on my holiday,definitely not the best value.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Edenbridge, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

I read lots of reviews before booking this hotel, so was expecting something quirky and different to the usual. However, bed was small (though comfortable), shower was not at all powerful (though rooms were clean), and breakfast was very 'plastic' and not very tasty. If you don't mind overlooking Sainsbury's car park, and listening to very loud country & western music vibrating through the walls, then this place is for you. I recently stayed at the Spa Hotel, and though more expensive on a Saturday night than the Smith & Western, you just cannot compare it in terms of class... sorry. Personally I think it was worth about £85 rather than the overpriced £115!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for my husbands birthday. Straight away we felt very welcome, due to the friendly staff. Room was a good size, bed was very comfortable and great to see good quality furniture. The only criticism I have is the shower. Unfortunately due to the pressure being so low, you can't really call it having a shower. It's more like standing in mist! We did bring this issue up and were told that this is something they are looking into sorting out. I really hope they do as this is the only thing that really lets them down.

• Stayed August 2012
Sheffield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

Arrived lunchtime on the first leg of our whistle stop tour over the bank holiday.
Paid for a superior room - were not dissappointed. Room facilities were good - great sized shower and very comfy bed.
enjoyed the themed Cowboy and Indians - had a meal in the restaurant and the portions were definately large! Quality of the food was ok!
Staff were very helpful.
We would definately book in again if we are in the area.we were on our own but the kids would love it here!
This was a refreshing change to the normal bed and breakfast/hotel accommodation.
We took a trip on the steam train and it was surprisingly very interesting!

Room Tip: front of hotel rooms
West Drayton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

We picked this hotel because we love all things American including Country music and weren't disappointed!!!
We knew from the minute we arrived that we had made the perfect choice and that was underlined by the extremely warm welcome we received at check in.
We couldn't wait to get to our room to unpack and make our way back down to the bar to enjoy the country music and a refreshing ice cold Coors (Jean Claude was nowhere to be seen....thankfully!). We had only been at the bar for half an hour or so when we realised that due to the excellent bar staff (Russ & Nick) we felt like old time regulars who had been drinking there for years.
All the staff at the hotel wear cowboy shirts & hats and the bar decor is very much in the style of a wild west saloon, the western theme continues through to the restaurant area and even up to the bedrooms which are all named after Native Indian tribes.
This does make the hotel sound as though it could be a little tacky but believe me it isn't and the staff, who all seem to enjoy their work so much go out of their way to make your stay as enjoyable as possible.
The food in the restaurant is once again American themed and the ribs and wings which we had on our first evening were as good as any that we have ever had in the Sates. The wife enjoyed them so much that she also had the same meal on our second night and I went for the rib-eye steak which was excellent.
Breakfasts are complimentary and are just the thing to set you up for a good walking, shopping, sight-seeing tour of Tunbridge.
All in all a marvelous place to stay which we can't recommend enough and we will definitely return to see George, Russ, Nick and the rest of the staff. A big thank you to all of you (and look after my hat Russ....I will be back for it, Ha! Ha!).

Room Tip: Rooms at the front of the hotel face the road although it is not overly busy and rooms at the back f...
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

From the moment I parked outside this former railway station I knew I was about to enter another world. The bar/restaurant area is heavily themed but it is far from tacky. Take a moment to stand on the stop to take in what you see because a lot of thought has gone into this place from what I could see.

Staff are all in western style outfits and you check-in at the far end of the bar. The welcome was warm and that was followed up by being shown where your room is, which is a very nice touch. All of the rooms are on the floor above the bar and are given western style names. We were only given one key to the room which could have been a problem but as we were only staying the night I didn't think to make anything of it.

The rooms are very well furnished to a very high standard. Every step I took I could feel my my feet spring across the thick pile carpet. The bed was extremely comfortable too.

The coffee machine in the room was a bit of a gimmick and was rather too complicated to work for a simple cup of coffee but I managed to figure it out.

If I could pick out one fault it would be the dribble of water from the shower. The whole toilet/shower was spotless and the enclosure huge, but the water pressure needs some serious attention, which is a real shame.

The food was great, the service warm and friendly, the portions more than ample and the setting quirky and fun.

Room Tip: Try a dish from their Mexican menu. It's fantastic. If you're staying for longer and doing...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Smith & Western Tunbridge Wells? Share your experiences!