“The oak hotel !!!” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in Ramsgate
London, United Kingdom
“The oak hotel !!!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

I have mixed feelings about this hotel, it has a great location and some staff are friendly others are average. The room was a bit small but had a nice bed and a big tv. The air con was broken so on the first night it was very hot and could nt sleep but it was fixed the next day. The breakfast is nice but not filling, I asked for a full english and only got one of each item. We came back from breakfast at 9:30 to find that the maids were in our room, so we had to wait for them to leave so we could get dressed.
It is very close to the harbour which has a great view and the hotel is near the town which has loads of great shops to choose from.
The facilities are quite good in the room which include the basic hairdryer, kettle, tea and coffee etc.
But if we were asked if we would stay here again, we wouldn't be sure..........

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Benissa, Spain
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

A lively well run harbour front hotel in a good location.
The hotel has a very good pub style restaurant and a more upmarket fish restaurant.
Not all rooms are of the same size and grandeur so its a good idea to ask when making a booking.
The only draw backs are the lack of parking facilities on site and there is no lift inside the hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front can be rather noisy on friday and saturday nights
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Expotel, Manager at The Oak Hotel, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Thank you for reviewing the oak hotel.

The Oak Hotel is fortunate enough to have a great location, but as consequence, we do not have the space for a private car park. We do recommend the local multi storey with reduced priced 24-hour tickets exclusive to our hotel guests.

We are pleased you enjoyed the hotels amenities.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012 via mobile

I couldn't fault this hotel in any way. We turned upto our hotel at 9:00 and check in is at 2:00, we was greeted by very friendly reception staff that took our bags and put them in a safe room as we had a prior arrangement. The room was very clean and cosy, but a bit hot (only complaint). Breakfast in the morning was very good and the service was on par to that. The bar staff where also very good

Overall i was pleasantly suprised by the excellent service and attentive staff and would highly reccommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2012
Expotel, Manager at The Oak Hotel, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Thank you for the excellent review.
We are thrilled to read you would recommend the hotel.
The hotel are privileged enough to have a good team of bar staff, reception staff, chefs and restaurant staff who all take pride in their work & ensure customers needs are met.

We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Derby, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

The hotel is situated overlooking the harbour and very close to the beautiful beach. When I first arrived at the hotel I was a little disappointed to see that the outside of the building had flaky paint and my first impressions were not great.

I arrived at 12 noon and I thought I'd try to check in, even though official check in wasn't until 2. The hotel was fully booked so unfortunately I couldn't get into my room but the receptionist was very helpful and said I could leave my bag with her whilst I went to grab some lunch. The reception was simply a desk in a rather small hallway so no great impressions to be had just yet!.

But all initial reservations about my choice of hotel were instantly dispelled when I arrived at my room. It was spacious, clean, well decorated and the en-suite bathroom was spotless and well decorated. Some hotel bathrooms look tired and mouldy but this looked like it had just been fitted - 10/10.

I had a room on the second floor which overlooked the harbour - lovely view. The room was well equipped - hospitality tray, TV, hair dryer and plenty of storage space. The security in the hotel was very good, to access to the rooms you needed a key card so this keeps people out who shouldn't be there. The bed was very comfortable - the pillows were a bit on the solid side but there were plenty of them.

Breakfast was available in the adjoining cafe but I didn't partake in this so cannot comment on the food quality I'm afraid.

There was only one thing that I need to point out which may deter guests and that is the noise levels from the nearby clubs / bars. The revellers seemed to spend a lot of time on the street so there was a lot of shouting and high spirits drifting up through to my room. The music and noise continued until the small hours - 2 / 3 am so if you are easily disturbed then you are advised to ask for a room at the back of the hotel - but then you miss out on the lovely view.

There is no parking at the hotel and street parking works out to be quite expensive. There are plently of nearby cafes and bars for those looking for a meal or a few bevvies.

I would recommend this hotel for a short stay in Ramsgate - good central location, near to the beach and harbour, shops in the town centre leave a little to be desired but then Westwood Cross is only a couple of miles away which is a typical out of town shopping / entertainment park.......probably the reason for the demise of the town centre.

Room Tip: Goods views from the front of the hotel but quieter ones at the rear
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Expotel, Manager at The Oak Hotel, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Thank you for your review of the hotel.

We are pleased that you found your room spacious and clean. We have a very committed housekeeping team who strive to keep the hotel in a good clean condition.

Concerning the comments about the noise, unfortunately we struggle to control the amount of noise from passing trade ect however, the reception team should be making all guests aware at the time of booking that sea view rooms are affected by the passing night trade. Please accept my sincere apologies if you were not informed of this.

We hope this does not deter you and should you be visiting Ramsgate again in the near future you return.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

My room was paid for as part of a job training meet-up and my stay was very pleasant. The bed was really comfy, the overall look of the hotel is very cosy and nice, and en-suite bathroom was high quality. They sell toothbrushes/toothpastes at good prices in case you forgot your own. Would stay again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Expotel, Manager at The Oak Hotel, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Thank you for your comments, I am thrilled your enjoyed your stay here at the hotel.

We would be delighted to welcome you back to hotel in the near future.

Cambridge England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

We booked this hotel through booking.com.I had previously rang the hotel to enquire about quiet rooms and was told to mention it on booking. I did. Despite this, we had a horrendous night. The nightclubs next door are open until 3am on a Saturday and the revellers dont necassarily go then! I had to have the TV on very high in order for my husband to sleep but i couldnt.We were at the back too.

The room was very very small and hot but extremely clean and everything we needed was in it. the ensuite was very roomy and again very clean and tidy. No problems with that.
There are alot of stairs and no lift. The staff were all good especially the night porter who tried to see if there were any other rooms available at 2am..All the staff are very pleasant.
It is in a fabulous location and there are facilities to park in the nearby car park.

Having said all that i doubt we would stay again due to the noise. The manager did compensate us the following morning which was kind but my main quibble was that i specifically asked for a quiet room and wish i had been told before the next morning, that there arent any.

Room Tip: According to the manager there arent any quiet rooms on a Saturday night.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Expotel, Front Office Manager at The Oak Hotel, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel.

I am sorry to hear you had a horrendous nights sleep whilst staying with us.

Unfortunately, we cannot control the level of noise on street/ outside of the hotel. We are located on a busy seafront and some venues around the hotel are open until late therefore generating noise. We cannot guarantee quiet rooms however; we do recommend our executive doubles for anyone looking for a less noisy room. All standards and sea views are located to the front or side of the hotel, can be affected by the noise, however the executives are at the back of the hotel, and do not have any bars surrounding them.

Your kind comments concerning the cleanliness of the hotel will be passed on to the housekeepers. I am sure they will be pleased to here there hard work does not go UN noticed.

Should you wish to return to the hotel in the future, please do not hesitate to call and speak to any of the reception team, the general manager Jamie or my self (Lindsey) to discuss further the room types available.

Troon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2012

Consistently good and excellent value. Adjoining "Atlantis" restaurant fantastic. Staff all friendly and courteous.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for the kind review.

We will pass on your praise to our Atlanits team whom Im sure will be delighted to hear the impressive review.

Hotel Manager

Been to The Oak Hotel? Share your experiences!