“Drive by” 2 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #64 of 140 Restaurants in Dover
Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Late Night
Description: Championing the unique flavours which come with chargrill cooking methods, Beefeater Grill The Plough - Dover offers a modern take on traditional steakhouse dining. Alongside an accomplished bar stock, prime meat cuts, fresh fish and wholesome vegetarian dishes make up the simple yet diverse Beefeater menu. Beefeater Grill restaurants pride themselves on sourcing the finest meat cuts and premium seasonal produce. Also renowned for its family-friendly welcome, Beefeater Grill presents a 'Little Eaters' menu, offering a fun range of dishes for children. Evoking a lively ambience and offering a menu filled with favourites, Beefeater restaurants are a consistent crowd pleaser.
Hythe, United Kingdom
“Drive by”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

Turned up for lunch at 13:30 and ordered 2 x cokes at the bar - £2.50 each for a glass of coke! (not a pint glass either) Outrageous - but I suspected it might be a free refill deal. Asked for a table for two and received a surly reply that someone would seat us in a minute.
Had almost finished the coke before being seated. Led to the 'conservatory' which was crammed with screaming kids and I was placed facing a long banquet table with what appeared to be a complete famdamily, with my back to the window. After waiting 15 mins, finishing the coke and listening to the screaming kids with no view other than this family we thought about ordering more drinks, but that would have been a total of ten pounds alone for drinks for the two of us.
Looked at the menu. Very expensive, no daytime deals, inattentive staff and rowdy kids with parents who either could not or did not wish to control them.
Not my kind of lunch, this place has gone downhill.
No one came to take our order or even apologised for keeping us waiting - so we hot footed it out of there to find a more accommodating pub.
Disappointing, wont go again.

• Visited January 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Folkestone, United Kingdom
“Fantastic!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

We went here for Boxing Day lunch. Lovely views. The golden glow of sunshine around Dover Castle in the distance was magical when seen from the road.

The Boxing Day menu was delicious and well thought out. 3 courses. The spiced fruit ice cream sundae was my favourite. It was amazing!

Drinks were good. I managed to get apple juice and tonic, so I was very pleased.

The waiting staff were very attentive and chatty.

We had a lovely time.

• Visited December 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Enjoyed”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

Food was great & not a long wait, service was great, colouring in for kids. Highly recommend the hot fudge brownie yum yum & it went very well with a baileys. Would eat here again.

Buckinghamshire
“I will not go back again...ever!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

We ate here as part of the Meal Deal with the Premier Inn next door at the end of half-term. The dinner was really good -thanks mainly to our server BOBBI who made sure we had everything we wanted and needed during the meal. She was attentive throughout which allowed us to overlook the fact that they ran out of drinks they were pushing and that we had to wait ages for a table even though we booked.

Breakfast on the other hand was awful - no, disgusting! First we were sat on the farthest place possible from the buffet and had to negotiate a number of tables with two children and the numerous hot drinks and juices in our hands. That means if you sat down and forgot the teaspoon or sugar, you have to get up again back through the tables and back! because there was absolutely nothing on the table - no salt & pepper, napkin, cutleries or even just a bowl of sugar! Not forgetting that the wall next to us had dried barbecue sauce smeared across the wall and curtains!!!

When we eventually managed to catch the attention of one of the servers, in between their jokes/chats with their colleagues, we were able to place an order for hot food which took ages to arrive. When it did, we were served with hard and crumbly poached eggs and cold bacon that was placed on the grill in the exact same way it came out of the packet. In neat even rows overlapping each other. The exposed area were browned and slightly cooked but the underneath pale and uncooked. The chef obviously takes care of the quality of his food - not!
We mentioned this to the waitress, again after we managed to chase her in the now almost empty restaurant but not even a feeble apology was offered. She simply shrugged her shoulders and walked off. We then gave up on breakfast at this stage and decided that we'll just have coffee in our room. I went over towards to the buffet table to ask if I may take a glass of milk for the children- and saw two managers (a middle aged lady and a younger one just starting her shift) and four servers (one getting her own breakfast chatting to two others, and another just about to leave). I stood right in the middle of them, patiently waiting for my turn to speak as they all chatted and the manager gave her orders, and they all looked at me BUT not a single person acknowledged my presence or asked if I needed help. Why do they think I stood there waiting? I might as well have been invisible! or was I the wrong type of clientelle for them? Disgusting! So I simply walked away.

I'm glad we received a refund from the Premier Inn for the non-breakfast but I seriously contemplated writing a complaint but based on the managers' attitudes, it might simply fall on deaf ears!

• Visited November 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Oxfordshire, UK
“Great food in a lively atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

We had dinner and breakfast here as part of the Premier Inn meal deal.

Dinner - we were sat promptly at our table but service was slow (the restaurant was quite busy though). All three of our courses were EXCELLENT - we can thoroughly recommend the garlic breaded mushrooms, chicken and bacon salad (ever had chicken that melts in your mouth? No, neither had I until The Plough!) and the chocolate fudge brownie (thought I'd died and gone to heaven!) The meal deal menu is quite limited so I'd probably stick to the main menu next time but it is good value if you can find things on it that you like.

Breakfast - Again, we were seated immediately and gave our order at that time. The breakfast selection was quite depleted by the time we got there (an hour after they started serving) as the muffins had all gone, as had most of the croissants. The fried breakfasts and coffee were tasty and piping hot and set us up well for the day.

All in all this visit was better than when we came two years ago and we enjoyed it a lot. Thanks, The Plough!

• Visited November 2013