“Decent place to stay before catching the ferry.” 3 of 5 stars

You added Hostel Alma to your Saves list
Hostel Alma
2.0 of 5 Hostel   |   37 Folkestone Road, Dover CT17 9RZ, England   |
London, United Kingdom
“Decent place to stay before catching the ferry.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2012

I'm a bit supprised at the low score this place has. While it's nothing special, it does offer a cheap place to sleep before catching the boat in the morning, which I imagine is the point. It's not fancy, but our room was spacious enough for 3 of us, with free wifi and a clean bathroom. It's also easy to find when coming off the motorway, but parking can be an issue. I wouldn't recommend staying here for a week, but I wouldn't imagine anybody would be thinking of doing that. If you're just after a cheap place to stay for the night before a catching the ferry, then there is nothing wrong with Hostel Alma.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
manchester
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2011

Our room was small but had everything we needed,central heating was on and the bed was very comfy and clean as was the towels,bathroom was small but modern and clean with heated towel rail.The kitchen was open all night with free tea and coffee and microwave cutlery etc. The stairs are very narrow and not really suitable for anyone with a disability.We had to leave early and thought breakfast started at 7 but the owner said it is 8 at weeekend,he offered to get up early and he made toast tea cereal and yoghurt,he was very helpful and chatty and went out of his way to help.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Cambridge, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2011

Reviews on Trip Advisor make this place sound much worse than it was for us. Our room was very clean and well-appointed, if small (although it did smell a bit of wet carpet). The rooms aren't very soundproof, either from traffic noise or from other guests in the hallway. The owner was friendly to us, although he can seem a bit brusque (we think he might be Russian, and brusqueness is not rudeness from them). A large English breakfast is provided, which is tasty enough. You could probably find better value elsewhere though.

Room Tip: We got the family room as it was the last available. It had beds for 3 people, a large TV and a smal...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Bristol
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2011

It appears from other reviews that we got away quite lightly, but the Hostel Alma is still a very cheap and not very pleasant place to stay. We paid £45 for an one night stay before our early ferry the following day, and apart from the owner wanting a 3% surcharge for using a credit card (to be fair, he retracted this charge as we were leaving too early to have breakfast), and the key numbers worked OK for both the main door and the room door. The rooms are tiny and the washing faclities extremely "cramped", but the room was clean with a working TV with many channels, and the bed was comfortable. The real downside to this room was the noise from the street which made sleeping difficult, and a nagging worry that we would be hard put to get out of the place in the event of a fire - the only staircase to the 2nd floor is very narrow and likely to disintegrate before the rest of the building. Also, this is not in a very salubrious area; our car was keyed down the side overnight...

Room Tip: I'd look for somewhere else...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Perth, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2011

the owner was very aggressive and the hostel was closed when I arrived even though the supposed "cafe" had an open sign. Facilities ok but I did not feel safe withsuch a loud and rude manager

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
sydney
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

Seems to be a bit of a pattern here. I turned up at the "cafe" which had an "opn" sign only to be told that I had no right to be there. Owner very rude and screamed at me. Didn't go back of course but he still debited my credit card. Place was filthy and messy

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2011

I emailed owner to say I would arrive a bit early, and his brochure said he had a "cafe' which was in fact a filthy storeroom. When I enquired politely about when I could get to the room he stood 6 inces from my face and screamed at me to get out. I am 60 years old 5 feet tall but no shrinking violet. he then pushed me. I went to the police - case still open - nad he still charged my credit card. the guy id a mad man - I agree with the last review - avoid at all costs

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Hostel Alma? Share your experiences!