“Another 1st for BW” 5 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN PLUS Dover Marina Hotel & Spa

Save Saved
You added BEST WESTERN PLUS Dover Marina Hotel & Spa to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN PLUS Dover Marina Hotel & Spa
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Dover Waterfront, Waterloo Crescent, Dover CT17 9BP, England   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #7 of 11 hotels in Dover
Horley
“Another 1st for BW”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

We absolutely love our leisure breaks as we work really hard all year and need our relaxation time. We only started the breaks last year with a trip to BW just outside York - fabulous city. We followed this with a successful birthday break in Clevedon Bristol. More recently we have stayed at Claydon near Ipswich and Dover Marina. We have been very impressed with the welcome, the friendly, courteous, efficient staff and the fabulous dining experiences. We like the more traditional elegance with reference to overall decoration, sumptuous fresh bed linen even temperature in the rooms and attentive staff who really make you feel welcome. Dover as a town - Cinq Port - was monumentally disappointing. However the historic castle more than made up for the lack of quality retail experiences and cafe culture. Dover, do you have any local authority backed Travel and Tourism regeneration committees? You should! As a gateway to Europe and also as the 'reception desk' for arriving travellers to the UK this town lets down the heroes of the past who defended this great country, with derelict buildings and drab and uninspiring retail and social opportunities. Best of Britsh was definately the Best Western Dover Marina Hotel & Spa. Thank you.

Room Tip: We had a Sea View Room and even with the howling wind this last weekend it was so nice to watch the...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

441 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

What a wonderful hotel, we stayed 2 nights bed, breakfast and eveing meal, our room was clean and very comfortable, our food was hot, well presented and lovely, we were welcomed with a warm smile and nothing was too much trouble. I would recommend this hotel to anyone and we will return again soon.

Room Tip: Sea view rooms were lovely
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Colchester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

On the 24th Feb 2013 myself and my husband stayed at the Best Western Dover Marina Hotel and Spa just for one night following a two night stay at The premier inn at the opposite end of the sea front.
We stayed, as we had received a free night via our bank account, and as we were already coming to Dover decided it would be a nice experience to stay with yourselves, on the evening of my husbands birthday, in what appears to be a very nice hotel.
Looks can be deceptive as we found out.
We did not expect the best room in the hotel as it was a free stay but on our arrival we were given room 301, on our way to the room we passed several dirty trays from room service either earlier that day or the night before. The room itself was ok really I suppose however it was colder inside than it would of been standing in the sub zero temperatures outside.
The bathroom windows (and I do appreciate the building is listed) were, well broken. One side the latch was unable to be used meaning the draught coming in was quite substantial. The other side was not much better and we stood watching the nets blowing about in the draught. To top it off the vent in the bathroom was flapping about until my husband pushed it shut.
The heating in what was a large bathroom consisted of a small towel rail which did not stand a chance of heating a room of that size when a gale of bitter air was blowing in through the window frame.

We went to reception and asked if we could be moved. We were told maintenance would have to check it first. Some half an hour later we were moved to room 210,
on making our way to the room we passed a electric plug in heater, a Hoover and two dirty glasses just left in the hallway where they remained until we left the following day.
On first impression the room was fine, warm and comfortable. However the bathroom left alot to be desired as the attached pictures show, I don't feel I need to say much more as the pictures say it all.
Although I do have to say I do not find a toilet cistern held to the wall by shabby blocks of wood, a bath panel hanging off, dirty walls and dirty sink, a very 4 star experience!
On running water in the bath for the first few mins it ran with a brown colour to the water.....needless to say I gave up thinking about having a bath. The water did clear but again it was not really acceptable.

On deciding it was pointless complaining again we stayed put.

I booked a table for our evening meal and on mentioning my husbands birthday the staff member offered to decorate the table to make it special. I was very pleased at this and accepted. My husband and I arrived at dinner at about 8.10pm some 10 mins late for our table. On being taken to the table my husband found that he had no chair and I found that the table had less than a table spoon of wedding style foil shapes scattered at one end. The gentleman who showed us our table said in front of my husband I'm sorry they were not quite ready with the table decorations I will get it finished, (which actually didn't happen) I thought to myself but we were late for the table so why was it not ready?

My husband asked about the decorations and I told him what had been offered but not carried through. He wanted to complain but I asked him not to make a fuss. After this I felt rather upset and to cut a long story short retired to our room before our meal was served, my husband asked for it to be served in our room saying I felt unwell.
The meal arrived, and to be honest, it did not come up to its price tag. It was just ok, warm but not hot, nothing special and not very inspiring.

That night, after being cold in the first room, we had to turn all the radiators off, jam the sash windows open with items from the room as they would not stay open, because we were residing in a furnace! With a temperature outside of around minus two I never imagined a room could be so hot.

My final complaint is that the name of the hotel very misleading.......I always assumed a hotel and spa meant the hotel had spa facilities....unfortunately the Dover marina hotel and spa does not have anything like a spa anywhere on site. Can you please explain why it is advertised as a spa yet does not provide a spa? The gym is on site and one sauna room was available but was out of order......need I say more.

I have complained and most things have been ignored, although I was told the spa is now open and has one treatment room, which to be fair does not really help. I was offered a complimentary night with breakfast but as I have no real reason to return to Dover I doubt we will see if things improve.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

This was our first trip to Dover and this hotel was great. The staff was very friendly and the location was fanatic. Easy walking distance to the High Street and all the restaurants you could want. The breakfast in the morning was very good and reasonably priced. Our room overlooked Dover Marina and the sunrise in the morning was stunning. Hearing the seagulls and the waves crashing on shore in the morning was a great way to wake up! If we get back to Dover we will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed February 2013
bwmarina, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Dover Marina Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your feedback .

I am glad that you have enjoyed your stay with us.

I will make sure to maintain and improve the standards to serve you better in the near future.

Looking forward to welcoming you to the hotel

Reading, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

Stayed one night on business this week. Was allocated room 421 on the top floor, the room itself was well decorated and comfortable. After some time I was aware that the room had become very cold and I made reception aware of this, it was suggested that an additional heater would be provided. This duly arrived and was plugged in and it did provide some welcome additional warmth. I had by then worked out that it was the en-suite bathroom that was the reason the room had become so chilly. The gales blowing outside were also blowing through the ceiling vent at a rate of knots. Closing the door to the en-suite ensured the bedroom heated up quickly. In the morning, however, getting shaved and showered was very uncomfortable as the bathroom remained freezing cold despite the heated towel rail functioning well.
Other than this I have to say the hotel staff were very pleasant both at reception and in the restaurant. My evening meal was fine if unremarkable, breakfast was served buffet style but made more enjoyable because devilled kidneys were available. A traditional British breakfast item but not one I have come across recently, they were delicious! Free wi-fi also much appreciated. I would stay again, if I was in the area, as there are few alternatives, but not on the top floor if the weather was inclement.

Room Tip: avoid 421 if weather is cold and windy, seafront rooms would have lovely harbour views
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your valuable feed back .

I have made a note of the issues that you have raised and have asked the maintainence engineer to look into the bathrooms.

Despite this, I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us especially our Breakfast .

Next time when you are in the area, please contact me directly as I will make your bookings arrangements at a special rate.

Thank you again.

Dover, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

I reserved the bridal suite for my wedding night in July 2011. As it was such a nice place we also decided I'd get ready here too. Despite a little mix up with check-in times and my bride-zilla hormones the staff remained calm and where very helpful. I thoroughly enjoyed my stayed here and have some wonderful memories and beautiful pictures. Many thanks :)

Pictures are from my wedding album but you can get a good look at the room and nice view.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your valuable feedback.

I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us.

I will make sure to maintain and improve the standards to serve you better in the future

missjuhoolie
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here before sailing to France as a night stop over fantastic could not fault anything. I have worked in hotels for years and it is nice to hear great feedback.so here goes we arrived late after a long car journey to a very warm welcome and great assistance to help unload the car and very swift check in our room was large and very clean the bar service was brilliant and breakfast was awesome. Staff were friendly and the whole stay was comfortable and the best idea we had was to do the overnight stay great hotel and great value for money £99 2 adults and 1 child and breakfast.

• Stayed October 2012
bwmarina, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Dover Marina Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback.

I am glad to learn that you have enjoyed your stay with us .I have passed your comments to all staff concerned.

Looking forward to welcoming you to the hotel in the near future

Anoob Saban

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Dover Marina Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!