“After 21 years it's still excellent” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Dining options: Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
United Kingdom
“After 21 years it's still excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

I've visited this restaurant every year over the last 21 years. The food and service keep getting better and are of a very high standard - can't fault a thing.

• Visited November 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Canterbury, England, United Kingdom
“Good but there are better Indians”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

I have eaten in once and taken away many times from here and being a real Indian food lover I have tried several of the dishes. The dishes are autentically Indian and have plenty of flavour, but I personally think Raj Venue is a better restaurant.

Positives: Food quality, atmosphere
Negatives: Service, not the cheapest

HINT: whenever you get a takeaway remember to check all your items, sometimes they "forget" certain items like Poppadoms that you have paid for but they think you overlook. Usually they claim they don't understand you when you are at the door, but this has happened to me three times from them. The food quality is good enough though so that I can overlook this.

• Visited September 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Nottingham
“Indian quality”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

Visiting the city and had already read good reviews on trip advisor. It was great; excellent quality, loads of it and reasonably priced. One of the best curries we have ever eaten and there are many! Well done to all with great service too!

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Canterbury, United Kingdom
“the best indian food i've had”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

a great selelctoin and the best food, all of my party were delighted with their meal, they also do takeaways which are also delicious.

Visited June 2012
“Food was quite nice but the service was poor!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012 via mobile

I came here for a meal last night with some family members and friends for my brothers girlfriends birthday. There was 9 of us in total and the evening started pretty well.

We had booked a table so we didn't have to wait to be seated. We had been sitting there for quite a while before a waitress came over and asked if we wanted any drinks. I opted for a bottle of cobra but when I asked the size of the bottle I was given an answer in finger measurements. We were also asked if we wanted poppadoms. Some of us were getting a set meal which included poppadoms but when asked if they were included the waitress got slightly confused and didn't really know the answer. We had to request her to ask some one higher to find out for us. In my opinion when I go to a restaurant the waitress should know the menu so I didn't find this to be very professional.

We got our drinks and after a short while we had all decided what we wanted to order and went for mains straight away. Five of us opted for a curry with rice and naan. The other four chose to have a set meal. After a wait of around 35 - 45 mins our food was brought to us. First all the curry came out with the naan's and about five mins later the rice was delivered. We started nibbling at our food as we waited for the set meals to arrive.

After around another eight mins, two of the set meals were served and this is where the main problems started. First of all it was cold which was a bit of a surprise as it had taken so long for them to serve it. The two people that had their set mains refused to eat it and requested another one. It was around a further 10 mins till the second two set meals were served and there didn't seem to be a problems with these two. By this time some of us that chose curry had already finished.

The two of us that were served the cold set meals had decided to cancel their order by this point as there were such large gaps between the food being served.

I can't knock the curry I had as it was lovely but due to the poor service and large gaps between the food being served it didn't really feel like a group meal as we could all eat together. This was disappointing as it was booked two weeks in advance and we had stated there were more people coming than actually turned up. I appreciate that it was a Saturday night and was rather busy but there was plenty of notice and the experience would have been so much better if things were done efficiently.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere