“Simple and Sophisticated” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
folkestone
“Simple and Sophisticated”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

This won't be up everyone's street... it is different and absolutely excellent, but not in the dreaded "fine dining" way.

The dining area is in a big shed by the railway station and the space is shared with a farmer's market. So, there are a few issues concerning the temperature in the evenings and people coming and going...personally I love it.
The space is exciting and dramatic, and provides great theatre.
My advice is to pack a cardigan if you are eating after dark. I wore my beret throughout yesterday evening...

The space informs an approach to service with is relaxed but completely professional.
The food is prepared from seasonal local produce. The tastes and textures are worked with real precision and care. The plates don't match either...

This is, I imagine, like the old Petersham Nurseries cafe. If you're put off, great. For the rest of us, this is comfortable, relaxed, sophisticated and intelligent.
That's just as we like it.

My dinner of rabbit and black pudding terrine, followed by a big hearty dish of fish stew (with all the bits) was really excellent and tasty. We will return.

Visited November 2013

Canterbury, United Kingdom
“Very disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

I came here some years ago and was disappointed. I was persuaded to try it again (new management) but it is still the same:
Cold eating area
Service very slow - 30 minutes until starters arrived.
We had to keep asking for everything; we were not "looked after" at all
Neither food nor drinks were served to all our table (4 people!) at once. Very disjointed
Food very tasty and well-cooked but on cold plates
Helpings meagre
Bill large for the quality of venue and service.
It will be some more years until I visit again!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Canterbury, United Kingdom
“Best breakfast in Canterbury”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

My husband and I often come here for breakfast at the weekend. It has a great setting above the farmers market and the food is fantastic, all fresh produce from the market below. Good value if you go for a full breakfast over just a 'snack' as you pay a cover charge and then by the item.

Fleet, England, United Kingdom
“Wonderful food in a unique setting”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

We were recommended to visit the Goods Shed by the owner of our holiday rental cottage and we are grateful to her for allowing us to experience one of the best meals we have had. The setting of the Goods shed is simply unique - I've never eaten in such a place before, with all the smells and sights of the Farmers Market on hand. The food was excellent, I've never eaten steak like it, the wine was extensive and although not cheap was of high quality. Service was friendly and not intrusive. I would recommend anyone to go here if you are visiting Canterbury or staying within reach.

Watford, United Kingdom
“Go for it”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

It isn't an obvious location for a good restaurant, that is beside a railway line with a view on the other side of a series of market stalls in a big shed. But that's the point, it is different and good. What better place to source your supplies than by being beside a Farmer's Market. You find it by heading towards Canterbury West station and take a few steps further. Into the market which for our dinner date was essentially closed, up the stairs and then received by efficient staff. Booking beforehand is highly recommended, particularly for Saturday. As the menu changes with the seasons I can see that more than one visit would give a better idea of quality, value etc. We we pleased with our fresh soup and lamb dish. Try it makes a change from those chains with Italian names. And you can watch the trains come and go.

• Visited September 2013