“Dinner” 3 of 5 stars

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
folkestone
“Dinner”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

We had a terrific lunch here recently and decided to suggest it to visiting family for dinner.
The shed comes into its own at dusk with candles - and you get a linen napkin (good).

The GS offer is sophisticated and informal - that's always a difficult trick to pull off. Typically, the food offer and the relaxed service don't match.

I don't think our experience at dinner was quite as good as lunch - maybe we were expecting too much. The background setting was less busy (the market was mostly closed) - which undermines the whole setting a bit.
I always love a busy restaurant and the animation and excitement of people working and eating.

I am prepared to forgive food that doesn't quite work - as long as the effort, ambition and spirit are there. The GS needs to be encouraged; not just for Canterbury, but for the emerging East Kent lifestyle thing.

We'll visit again

Visited May 2013

Sussex, England
“Such a nice setting and ethos - perhaps a bit pricey for lunch, though”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

This restaurant is part of a building called The Goods Shed, most of which is given over to being a food hall, selling mostly local produce. In keeping with this ethos and setting, the restaurant offers a seasonal, local menu which changes not only every day, but between afternoon and evening sittings. I was meeting someone there, and I think for both of us the prices were a bit mroe than we expected - at least, there was nothing on the menu which seemed to cater for the quick lunchtime snack in the middle of a working day. So she had a starter and I had the cheeseboard, which we were both pleased with - it was just the choice was limited if you did not want a substantial main course.

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Leicester, United Kingdom
“A Gastronomic Tour of Kent – The Goods Shed, Canterbury”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

This is one of a series of reviews of meals taken on a gastronomic tour of Kent in Summer 2013.
Perhaps the best way of characterising the meal taken here is “good honest cooking”. A smoked eel, duck's egg & salad was very good. There was a nice balance between the smoked flavour of the eel and the yolk of the egg. I enjoyed it.
My main of braised shoulder of lamb was a typical "slow food" course. Lots of flavour from a good product.
The strawberry pavlova dessert was similarly full of flavour. Nothing innovative, just good food, cooked well.
Overall, no fireworks, but an enjoyable meal.

Visited June 2013
Kent
“Very disappointing!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

Have visited here to shop and have had breakfast on numerous occasions which has been wonderful!! I was therefore really looking forward to our evening last week which I'd booked for hubby's birthday. How disappointed we were. Now having been vegetarian for many years, I have come to expect the very limited choice there is available on many menus, but I have never been anywhere where there has been only one vegetarian option on the menu - summer vegetable rice, which sounded quite nice, but I soon realised when it arrived that it was risotto by another name, which I always think is a cop out for veggies!! However, ever adventurous I tucked in and to be honest it was ok. BUT... the accompanying salad was inedible. Whilst I applaud the attempt to use a variety of leaves (I grow many in my own garden), these were hard, and some impossible to chew, let alone swallow. Now for those of you that think I'm just another fussy veggie (I'm not fussy at all, don't mind what I eat as long as it never had a face!), my husband was also disappointed with his meal. He ordered the lamb chops, and the lamb must have been born that morning they were so small. Two of those were piled on top of pearl barley and gravy, accompanied by one slice of carrot, and what he described as "the sheep's skin!" Surprisingly for a place surrounded by lovely fresh locally produced vegetables there were none with his meal. Whatever happened to 5 a day? Without wishing to continue in detail to bore - I found the place over priced, and think it's reputation is based on a lot of pretentious nonsense because it is fashionable to buy local produce. That said, our waitress was very friendly, and service was delivered with a smile. We will return for breakfast, but never again for an evening meal!!

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Canterbury, United Kingdom
“Hands down best restaurant in Canterbury”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

whenever the opportunity arises to have a really nice meal in Canterbury I always opt for the Good Shed- the food is exciting interesting and just tastes so utterly fantastic. I recommend it to everyone.

• Visited March 2013