“It is a library, museum and has a cafe!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 148 things to do in Canterbury
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Singapore, Singapore
29 attraction reviews
“It is a library, museum and has a cafe!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

What I like is the museum has a lot of stuff to engage children. They have an area for children in nearly every room to draw, colour or play. Parents can walk around different rooms and appreciate the art pieces without distraction, at least for a while. The paintings by artists in Canterbury are beautiful, which I don't think you will see elsewhere.

Visited December 2013

Canterbury, United Kingdom
9 attraction reviews
“A great find!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

If you're shopping and fancy something a little different we highly recommend popping in and see the exhibits they have here.

Visited September 2013
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
5 attraction reviews
“Interesting and well laid out”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2013

We popped in here for the tourist information (and to use the loo, to be honest) while waiting to be hungry enough to eat, but we couldn't resist a quick look round some of the exhibits. We were impressed at the thought behind the displays - we liked the novel approach of colour-coordinated displays of birds, butterflies, animals and minerals - and there are some fantastic items from travel to different parts of the world.
We don't have small children now, but thought that the worksheets we saw would work for primary aged kids and maybe, with adult help, for pre-schoolers.
Apart from the special exhibitions (which we did not visit), the museum is free and well worth an hour or so of your time.

Faversham
17 attraction reviews
“Always interesting”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

The Beaney always provides a break for the kids when we are shopping in Canterbury. It's free, interactive and interesting and not just for the children. The staff are very informative and engaging.

Ramsgate, England, United Kingdom
29 attraction reviews
“Cultural..”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013

I thought the museum was quite cultural with the exhibits it currently shows, such as foreign weaponry and drawings of famous Kentish residents, among other things. The promise of a library was disheartening to me because I saw no books at all and when I asked about seeing the "many" books available, I was told quite bluntly there were none. All in all, I enjoyed the museum as I got to see the original layout and some staff were nice enough to say what the building was originally used for and also told me what some of the exhibited items were and what they were used for. Would definitely come back again.