“Good Service and very clean” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Fish & Chips
North Cyprus
“Good Service and very clean”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

My first time here. The place is quite big and very clean. We saw the sign outside advertising Cod and Chips with a cuppa for seniors for £4.95, I don't think there are many places in Canterbury City Centre that can compete with that. The fish was very tasty with crispy batter and the chips were very good too. We ordered at the counter and the food and drink were both brought to our table. In fact we were asked whether we would prefer tea or coffee within the seniors deal. The coffee was good too. The staff were charming. For a quick lunch, it was ideal.

• Visited October 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Kent, England, United Kingdom
“Delicious fish&chips and lots of variety!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

During a day trip to Canterbury, I chose to eat at Catch because I fancied fish & chips. However, once I went inside and looked at the menu I was totally spoilt for choice. With different kinds of fish, chips, sandwiches and sides as well as all day breakfasts on offer, there was so much more variety than I was expecting which was excellent.
The restaurant itself was fresh and clean and you can tell that attention has been paid to the details.
We did have to queue for a few minutes to be served, so I would say they could use extra staff during the busy periods.
The food itself was absolutely delicious though. I chose the fish finger bap with a side of chips. The chips were hot and chunky with a few crispy ones thrown in (my favourites!) and the 'fish fingers' were a far cry from what you might find in a Birdseye box!
I would definitely recommend Catch - a great selection of delicious food, brilliant location and you can choose to eat in or take-away!

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Kent
“Tasty food and friendly service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

We popped in here for the first time today and were impressed. Very clean and modern, good friendly service and great chips! A nice modern twist on an old favourite.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Canterbury, United Kingdom
“Don't bother”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

I have been here a few times. It is always expensive for the meal and "extras" are a further addition. Plates are cold and service is slow and unfriendly. For example; "could I have a tea please with a very small amount of milk". It arrives looking like hot milk and when pointed out the girl stares at me and almost shouts "what you want me to make you another one??"

The latest problem. Against my own better judgement I go for a quick bite at lunch time from work. Arrive at shop and place order between 1:15 and 1:20. The shop is not busy (it's too expensive to be busy). A 1:40 I'm reading the paper and realise food not arrived. Just going to ask when a girl comes and asks me if I'm waiting for anything. She goes away and comes back to say it will be 3 or 4 minutes. After another 5 minutes of nothing I just left without being noticed. Never to return

• Visited September 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Canterbury, United Kingdom
“Attention to service needed.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2012

This place looks great, and the food we had today was, in part, excellent. The £2.45 take away fish and chips is excellent value. But. . .

I'm not a huge fish lover, but my other half is. No problems, they do a nice battered chicken balls dish, 6 for £3. Lovely. In the event, four were ample, but what I did object to was the young lady who served us, and seemed to view the whole exchange as an immense imposition, no smile, no eye contact, no greeting, calling over to the chef 'why did you only do four?'

These were then slung in a bag and handed to us with no explanation, no apology and no offer to recompense us for the fact that we had got less than we paid for.

I can accept people have an off day, what I can't accept is being ripped off.

NOT GOOD ENOUGH. I'll not be going back there if I'm going to be treated with such contempt. Someone else will get my cash instead. Things were compounded my chips tasting a little fishy, perhaps they should use one fryer for fish and another for less fragrant items?

• Visited June 2012