“A comfortable, quiet hotel well-situated for all Canterbury attractions” 5 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN Abbots Barton Hotel

Save Saved
You added BEST WESTERN Abbots Barton Hotel to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN Abbots Barton Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   36 New Dover Rd, Canterbury CT1 3DU, England   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #7 of 18 hotels in Canterbury
West Country, near Bristol
“A comfortable, quiet hotel well-situated for all Canterbury attractions”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

Our daughter is at university in Canterbury and we decided to spend Easter weekend paying her a visit. As our son was able to stay in her shared house, we decided to treat ourselves a bit and booked into this hotel for three nights in a de-luxe room. We booked on line and I then telephoned to check if they could cater for a gluten free diet. The response was extremely friendly and helpful, and I was reassured that gluten-free toast would be available. There is good on site car parking and our room was lovely, with a large half-tester bed and toile-de-jouy print wallpaper and loads of storage space for clothes, while our bathroom had a jacuzzi-type bath tub with very effective shower over. We made good use of the free broadband, and found the breakfast service excellent, with a wide range of fruits, juices, cereals, pastries, cooked meats and cheese and the components of a good cooked English breakfast all available at the central buffet while ones choice of tea or coffee and brown or white/gluten free toast were brought to the table. We were able to treat our children to breakfast at the hotel on our last morning without any dfficulty by arranging through Reception, and we also had our family meal on the Friday evening in the restaurant as we felt tired after travelling. Service and food were lovely. We left feeling very refreshed and happy we had chosen to stay at the Abbots Barton: we'd gladly return.

Room Tip: We were in the old part of the building, and it was really quiet despite being above the lounge and...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
abbotsgm, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Abbots Barton Hotel, responded to this review, April 6, 2013
I would like to thank you for taking the time to write this lovely review.

The hotel is a perfect location for Canterbury University visitors and we trust we will have the pleasure of your company for future family visits.

Thank you.

346 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Boulder, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

I stayed here for two nights on business in the area. The single room in which I stayed was sufficient in size and had great charm. Unlike many old buildings, the windows were updated so the room stayed a good temperature. The free WiFi was great to catch up on work in the evenings.

I didn't get a chance to try any of the restaurants so I cannot comment there, but the staff was friendly, the room was clean, and the parking and Internet were free. In all, a good stay.

The only downside was a lack of fitness centre. There was a flyer saying that this was in the plans, however. Regardless, I will not hesitate to stay here again if I will be in the Canterbury area.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
abbotsgm, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Abbots Barton Hotel, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
I would like to thank you for writing a review about your experience at the Abbots Barton.

I am pleased the hotel met your needs for location,your bedroom, free WiFi and parking. We are all looking forward to the new leisure facilities once they are built, as we feel this would certainly enhance the hotel.

We do hope we will see you in the not too distant future.

Best regards

Bath, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

We have had a difficult time recently, dealing with my late mothers affairs, so a weekend away from it all was just what was needed.

Neither my wife, nor myself had ever been to Canterbury before, so we booked three nights at the hotel with breakfast included. We arrived late on Friday afternoon and were allocated a first floor room overlooking the car park, which managed to look very attractive under the light covering of snow by Saturday morning. The room itself looked as if it had been recently refurbished and turned out to have probably the best bed I have slept on in any hotel (I have Ankylosing spondylitis, so need a decent bed to sleep). On top of this, the room was quiet, even though there seemed a fair few people staying, which in itself was a surprise, given the miserable weather and the time of year.

The hotel is very well placed for the centre of the city, with the Cathedral only being a gentle 10 to 15 minute walk away. If it's shops you want, then Canterbury has a huge range, from the indentikit chain stores to some wonderful bespoke, small shops. There are also a couple of great museums as well.

We ended up spending the three evenings eating in the hotel restaurant, having originally intended to eat out. The menu was extensive, although it didn't vary over the three nights of our stay, but the food was good nonetheless. Breakfasts were good value with plenty of choice and the hotel staff were uniformly excellent and nothing seemed too much trouble.

In short a very enjoyable weekend.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
abbotsgm, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Abbots Barton Hotel, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
I would like to thank you very much for your comments about the hotel during your weekend break.

We take pride in the appearance and the decor of the hotel. We are pelased your experience was a memorable one wth your room and the bed met your satisfaction.

The hotel is ideal for both city breaks and a leisurely weekend, it lays back from the main road with landsacped lawns and does offer peace and quiet. The sprinkling of snow also makes it quite a romantice place to stay.

The seasonal menu is reflected in the tradtional British Fayre we offer,we source local produce where possible, so pleased you chose to dine at the hotel.

We do hope that should you return to Canterbury, you will choose to stay at the Abbots Barton hotel.
Doncaster, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

Best Western have some lovely hotels in some great settings but unfortunately I have struggled to enjoy my few visits with the chain for some time.

The room rate at Abbots Barton was very reasonable but perhaps this is because they are finding it difficult to fill the rooms. There were a few people staying on the same night as me but it was nowhere near full, very few came to dinner and almost no one was in the bar; a very cold, un-atmospheric feel to it all.

I didn't book a table for dinner even though I was advised to (standard 'get the restaurant booked' strategy) but this just serves to annoy me when there is clearly no need. I came down for dinner at just after 6.00 to find the restaurant didn't open until 7.00. Thought I'd have a drink in the bar only to find a notice saying 'go to reception to ask for bar service' - not good. If you can't afford to have people in the right places then you can't expect good feedback. I went back to my room and came back nearer to dinner time - still no one manning the bar.

On the issue of staff, they were really nice, helpful and polite. To be honest I felt sorry for them, clearly trying to keep a positive face when they probably sense how odd it all feels for guests. (Note to senior management - look after these people, they might be the last good thing about this hotel).

Breakfast generated a little anger in that having been told it was c£7.95 I found I was charged £12.95 the former being the price for continental. Blatant opportunism and whilst the food was okay it wasn't brilliant.

My sleep was disrupted by the movement of a guest in the room above mine; character is one thing but badly fitted or maintained floorboards just say 'we're can't afford to repair these things'.

In summary, great looking place, staff are a positive but feels like it could close down at any moment. I would have spent a little more at the bar and can't recommend it as a good value dining experience.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
abbotsgm, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Abbots Barton Hotel, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Thank you for your review and your comments with regard to your stay.

January, February and early March, are quiet times in the hotel industry, therefore you will always find special offers on room rates. I am pleased you were able to stay with us on one of those offers.

At check in, we advise all of your guests to make a dinner reservation for two reasons, so they can hopefully book the time they would like to dine, the second is to make the guest aware we have an excellent restaurant in the hotel and the dining times.

The bar person on duty that evening, may well have been elsewhere on service, hence why we have a sign to inform guests that should they require service, reception will contact the bar person for them. This would take only moments, I apologise for any delay this may have caused for you.

Breakfast prices are on the menu, both for continental at £9.95 and full English at £12.95. On both options there is a wide selection of hot and cold choices.

My team are very valued and have many positive comments from guests, thank you, I have passed your comments to them.

The hotel will be undergoing refurbishment and a new extension in the near future. I can assure you at no stage will the hotel be closing down as we are one of the busiest hotels in Canterbury.

Thank you.

Stroud, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

I've stayed here twice on business. The first time I was accompanied by two coach loads of people which made breakfast very difficult as the dining room is not huge. At this point, breakfast was an unappetising buffet. However, week 2 was much better no coach parties and a reakfast menu that included smoked salmon and scrambed eggs. Otherwise, nic enough hotel for centre of Canterbury. I believe that they are planning renovations which should help considerably.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on the hotel and your experince during your stay.

It is true, Canterbury is a very popular city for coach parties and we welcome them throughout the year.
When the hotel has high occupancy, we do change our style of breakfast to buffet, however, guests that are not part of a group are always offered an individual breakfast from the menu, should they wish.

We are also looking forward to future renovations which will enhance the present building.

Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

We stayed overnight to visit our daughter., booking through booking.com as we always do (plans change).
To our surprise we had been upgraded to a ? executive room. The room was reasonable size though not huge, but we had a superking size bed which was extremly comfortable. It was an attic room on the 3rd floor, quite a long way from the lift whcih meant we were not disturbed. The blackout blinds were superb. There was a large flat tv which we didn't try, and also free wi-fi which again we didn't use as you had to give too many details to sign into the "cloud", and I prefer not to give any details I don't have to. The room was spotlessly clean, with tea and coffee making facilities. No minibar. We didn't have breakfast (£9 is a bit steep). There were plenty of staff who were helpful. There was plently of parking and it was a good 10 minute walk to town, which meant it was quiet, but if it had been a city break trip it was quite along way to bars and restaurants. The hotel bar was virtually empty, as although we saw quite a few young people on checking out, it was defintiely an old persons lounge and bar. Will happily stay there again next time we visit.

Room Tip: top floor meant no noise from above
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your review, we are pleased you enjoyed your trip and stay in Canterbury.

There are two options for breakfast at the hotel, continental, which has a large selction of cerials, fresh and dried fruit, ham, cheese, yoghurts,pastries, croissants, toast, butter and preserves. A selection of fruit juices, different types of coffee and tea. Plus, a cooked menu for full English and many more hot options. We feel the cost of both breakfasts, offer good value for money.

The buzzing city centre has many bars and restaurants and is within an easy 10 minute short walk. Reception would be very happy to book a taxi for you, should you wish a quicker way to the centre.

We look forward to your return to Canterbury and the hotel.

Holden, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Hotel was close to downtown, and we could walk without having to try and find parking downtown. The rooms were small, but it is an older "converted" hotel. The hotel was very clean and breakfast was great.

The beds were single size, so be aware.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your response for your stay at the hotel. It is an ideal base for Canterbury, especially with the hotel having a large free car park as it is not easy parking in the busy city centre.

The hotel bedrooms have all different size beds, among them are single beds in the single rooms, twin rooms which have two single beds and double bedrooms, which have a standard double bed. We do also have a number of king size beds, dependant on the room type you book.

We hope to see you again,if you visit Canterbury in the future.

Christine Cooper

Been to BEST WESTERN Abbots Barton Hotel? Share your experiences!