“Greatlace to stay in Canterbury” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Magnolia House

Magnolia House
You added Magnolia House to your Saves list
Magnolia House
5.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   36 St. Dunstan's Terrace, Canterbury CT2 8AX, England   |
Ranked #36 of 75 Canterbury B&B and Inns
Yeovil
“Greatlace to stay in Canterbury”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2012

Arrived in the morning, made extremely welcome. House and rooms exceptionally decorated, very clean with everything you could wish for in the room. I would recommend the Magnolia house to anyone who want to stay in Canterbury.

• Stayed June 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2012

The attention to detail that Isobelle creates is nothing short of amazing.
Clearly a love of providing a showcase of her tastes and styles, which in a privately owned B&B makes a nice change from chain properties.
Fantastic quality ingredients at breakfast and piping hot.
Very comfy bed in thre garden room - personal taste aside, an all round good package, would definately stay again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Chester, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2011

My partner and myself stayed for a weekend break while visiting family and found this guest house totally exceeded our expectations. The host even taxi'd us to our event on our first evening there! I have to mention the breakfast...being vegetarian its great to see a full English veggie breakfast on the menu and the eggs are fresh daily from the owners chickens :-)
Will definitely go again as they have a great family room with a link though to a twin bedroom both providing a secure room for the children with the advantage of them not being in the same room!

Room Tip: Our room was quite small (room 3) but I noticed that the others were larger...the room at the front...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2011

My two friends and I stayed here for two nights (Friday and Saturday). On arrival we were offered a drink and were shown to our rooms (one single and one twin). Everything was very clean. The shower/bath was excellent but the shampoo, shower gel and conditioner were all in tall, narrow glass bottles which balanced precariously over the bath. My roommate knocked her ankle on the bed and when we lifted up the valance we discovered that the underbed drawer was stuffed so full of bedding that it had broken and was sticking out.
The whole house was full of bric – a – brac which made the place feel very cluttered. Upstairs there were superfluous mats and runners in the halls – a real trip hazard.
The breakfast was very tasty and there was good choice but I was roundly told off for putting our milk jug on the table (“use the mats please”) We noticed the other breakfast tables had tablecloths.

I pointed out to my hostess that the butter I had been given (individual butter dish with lid) had been used already and her apology was barely audible. The honey was in individual jars but they were sticky on the outside and then I realised that all the seals were broken and they were old jars that had all been refilled.

I would have discussed all of the above to the lady of the house but, apart from the fact that I was on a very special weekend with two friends and did not want there to be an “atmosphere”, our landlady was so surly and standoffish that, quite frankly, I did not feel inclined to talk to her at all. She actually only smiled at me when I handed her £110 for the two nights.

I would not recommend staying here unless the whole place was given a good clear out and the landlady cheered up a bit.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Edmonton, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2011

Hostess was very professional and a bit aloof. This was more of a guesthouse than a bed and breakfast and so if you are looking for that type of place -- it is fine. We prefer to stay in bed and breakfasts where we can meet other guests and get tips on things to see and do and share stories. The room was very small but the bed was comfortable and the shower was hot. We felt quite rushed at breakfast and had to chew and choke to leave the room by 10 am.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Stanmore London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2011

Excellent location near to centre of Canterbury. Small but comfortable room with lots of nice touches, minifridge with complimentary wine, water & beer. Nice decor if a bit tired.
A pity nobody had cleaned the toilet and hand basin since the last guests.
Pleasant garden for use by guests. Breakfast good but served in silence, owner has a rather aloof manner, and not very welcoming. Same applied at check in & out.
A bit more charm to match the facilities would make all the difference.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Dunstans, Owner at Magnolia House, responded to this review, August 22, 2011
I am sorry that there was the awkward situation on your departure, when you had forgotten to bring your Daily Mail vouchers with you in order to claim the substantial discount for the room, but thank you for putting them in the post, even though they were incomplete. I am also really sorry that everyone, including you, arrived very early and all at the same time, before the normal check-in time, so there wasn't the chance to spend the usual amount of time with you that we would normally have done.
All the bedrooms have recently been enlarged and completely refurbished and are cleaned meticulously daily - if there had been any slip in our very high standards, I would really have appreciated being told so at the time or during the many times you were asked if everything was alright and to your satisfaction, and then I could do something about it. Even though the girls were rushing to get the rooms ready for you before normal check-in, there is no excuse for any slip in standards.
As you told me you had enjoyed your stay with us, I just hope that your subsequent recollections have not diminished your enjoyment.
Derby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2011

I stayed here with my daughter when she visited the University. The owners had clearly thought about what guests might want - everything from a small fridge in the room to a clothes brush. For breakfast, there was a good choice of delicious fresh food. Magnolia House is easy to find, approaching Canterbury from London. There is off-street parking, and it's a short walk to Canterbury's quaint pedestrianised city centre.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business

Been to Magnolia House? Share your experiences!