“A great location with friendly service!” 5 of 5 stars

Cathedral Gate Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   36 Burgate, Canterbury CT1 2HA, England   |
Ranked #1 of 18 Hotels in Canterbury
Perth, Australia
“A great location with friendly service!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend and I stayed here on a Wednesday night. We made a reservation for a double room with a shared bathroom. Upon arrival we were advised that we had been upgraded to a room with a stunning view of the cathedral and our own bathroom! Perfect! We thoroughly enjoyed our stay here and loved the fact that it was a very short walk from the shops and pubs and restaurants. We enjoyed a full English breakfast in the morning for a small price of £7.50 which was delivered to us in bed at our requested time.
Staff where very friendly and welcoming. We will be back!

• Stayed October 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013 via mobile

Booked in the morning for £45 amazing also included breakfast.
I arrived about 2.30 and the room was ready and the young lady took me to room peace and offered to take my bag but I said it was heavy so I took it. The room was clean with tv and a sink looking out to the streets.
At night was noisey but I left the window open as it was hot.
As coming down stairs I open the window overlooking the cathedral and took load of pictures during day and night.
Next morning I had breakfast it was amazing why would anyone pay £7.50 for full English when you can have scrambled egg on toast orange juice toast and coffee. The staff was very helpful and friendly and I will go again in the future to this hotel.

Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Hertfordshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

I stayed here for one night during the week whilst on a business trip. I really liked the bedroom modern decor and very clean. This is a very old building with a perfectly central location, would stay again but might ask next time for a room not facing the street as the roads were cleaned very early in the morning and was quite noisy.

Room Tip: Rear facing room
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

I was worried about all the negative reviews but we had an amazing stay at this hotel and I have now realised that it has been completely refurbished (at least some parts of it) and has new owners. The room (Tranquility it as called) was clean, of very high standard, spacious and the bed was very comfortable. The young male receptionist was amazing in all ways. We had breakfast brought to us in the room which was all very nice - they even got me soy milk which is a nice touch. It was a special occasion for us, which was acknowledged and we were very well looked after! Yes, the hotel is old - which only adds to the charm - and some of the communal areas have old carpets etc. But overall a great experience, highly recommended.

Room Tip: Rooms are of different standards so make sure to get a good one
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Colchester, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

5 girls went to Canterbury and needed a place in the centre. This was ideal. Very friendly, Nick was particually helpful. Good rooms, excellent breakfast, Definately stay again, perhaps with ensuite facilities this time.

Room Tip: If you want a view of the square and you don't mind noise, go to the front otherwise a back room...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Oxford, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

Uneven floors, bells, street noise. What more could you want from a hotel in a building built centuries ago in the heart of an ancient cathedral city. It looks as though the Cathedral Gate is undergoing modernisation/redecoration. Our room was very nice, modern, clean and very comfortable. Other parts (the reception area, and dining room) clearly needed updating. Shops and restaurants within falling over distance of the hotel (most of them in the High Street) from Mexican, Italian, and so on. The only drawback is that it does get a little noisy at pub closing time, but this doesn't last very long. ...make sure you take the time to look at the cathedral lit up from the hotel terrace before going to bed!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
York, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

I love this place, I have stayed over the past 3 years for many different reasons, for business, for pleasure and the most recent for my Honeymoon... it is an ideal choice for visiting Canterbury, it is located in the grounds of the Cathedral and when i went out to the terrace to feed my smoke addiction, the view was a joy to behold. It has changed hands since my first visit there but it was nice to meet the owner this time and chat, a very friendly lady. It must take a lot of work to keep the hotel in such good shape, the floors are sloped, the whole place is slightly off key but that just adds to the beauty of the Cathedral Gate.The food is lovely and the staff are nice and friendly to, I adore this place, for all romantics, I suggest you ask for JOY..the room, they all have different quirky names, so sweet.

Room Tip: Ask for the room JOY, I spent my honeymoon there and it overlooks the Cathedral, so romantic.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Cathedral Gate Hotel? Share your experiences!