“Great for beer. Food average and pricey.” 3 of 5 stars

01227 479111
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
La Trappiste Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #125 of 281 restaurants in Canterbury
Cuisines: Bakery, Belgian, Coffee Shop, Mediterranean, Seafood, British, Bistro, Tea Room
Canterbury, England, United Kingdom
“Great for beer. Food average and pricey.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

This place is all about the beer. They have an amazing selection of Belgian beers, etc. I've always found the wait staff very nice and somewhat more attentive than most restaurants around Canterbury. My issue with La Trappiste is that the food is fairly expensive and not particularly great. We've gone for breakfast several times and the portions are small..which would be fine if the food was amazing but its just okay. Same experience with lunch. I will say the bread (baked on site) is really good.

All in all, go for a beer. Save eating for someplace else.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

51% Recommend
Canterbury, United Kingdom
“Great location, good food and beer - bad service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

Been there a few times. Beer selection and taste is best in East Kent. Food is good - but often have to wait ages for it. Real shame - the wait can often ruin the visit : (

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
London, United Kingdom
“3 Good Visits”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

A journey to Canterbury that includes a break at La Trappiste is certainly a welcome addition to my itinerary, and accompanied by my wife and daughter we arrived late on a Saturday afternoon.

As always the Restaurant was very busy and without having made an advance reservation we were fortunate enough to be shown straight away to a nice window table with good views on the ground floor.

Personally, I love the Continental ambience of La Trappiste and the staff with their long aprons is a reminder of the cafe culture across the Channel. Deciding on a light meal we chose a pre starter of Home Baked Breads with oil and balsamic vinegar. At £2.45 we found the one basket quite enough for the three of us as was each of the following 1/2 kg Mussel pots - our choices being the Belgian with shallots, fresh thyme and belgian beer and the Classic with garlic, white wine and cream, each dish served with a portion of frites. The mussels were full of flavour, portions being of a good size and most importantly all were open and contained no traces of any grit (as sometimes happens) whatsoever. La Trappiste is the home of Belgian Beer in Canterbury and for our drinks we chose Floris Passion and Abbaye-Abdij Val-Dieu beer and a glass of the House white wine.

This was our third visit within twelve months and we were not disappointed. The staff as on previous occasions were friendly and welcoming and the service could not be improved.

With the bill around £47.00 including service I thought the meal represented excellent value in very pleasant surroundings.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Taunton
“An efficient, lively and interesting restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

As a city centre bistro type restaurant this rates highly.
We turned up without a booking for an early supper. We were not disappointed.
Our greeting was pleasant and welcoming. A table was found in the busy restaurant and our waitress, Bianca, was charming and efficient.
We firstly sampled a jug of one of their excellent range of expensive Belgian beers. Delicious!
Starters were generous and reasonably priced. Mains were a tad expensive but good. Puddings were yummy. House wine by the glass was usual restaurant prices and pretty good quality.
Overall a good experience if not a bit pricey at £40.00 a head for good bistro food. Very good ambience in this lively establishment and definitely would use again.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Spalding, United Kingdom
“Great beer, great food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

Located in the centre of Canterbury this lovely bar/restaurant is a little gem. Over two floors with plenty of seating.

The staff are very knowledgeable regarding the range of 250 Belgian beers available. Depending on time of day they will even let you sample some before you buy. In the evening you have a waiter to bring your drinks to your table and while the all the waiting staff are really friendly, I had to wait over half hour before I could catch my waiter for my next order. The beers may seem expensive but they are authentic and the quality superb.

I also had a meal here which again was fantastic. I would like to point out that the Pigeon breast starter with a mushroom sauce was one of the best I have eaten and cooked to perfection. I even ordered some bread to use up all of the sauce.

Plenty of seating both inside and out (downstairs and a balcony upstairs) I highly recommend to give this place a try, whether for a drink with friends or for a bite to eat.

• Visited May 2013