“Bread from Heaven” 5 of 5 stars

01227 767 854
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Deeson's Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 293 Restaurants in Canterbury
Cuisines: British
Good for: Romance, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Transit: Canterbury now benefits from the new high speed link to London as well as a regular network of rail, coach and bus routes.
Description: Deeson"s restaurant is a British restaurant set in the heart of the historic Cathedral city of Canterbury. At Deeson's we pride ourselves on serving the best of seasonal produce that is available to us from Kent the allotment of England and Britain. Our menu celebrates everything that is great about Britain and it's culinary history. At Deeson's we have the freedom to change our menu's on a daily basis directed by the feedback we receive from our suppliers letting us know which products are particularly good at any given time.
Market Harborough, United Kingdom
“Bread from Heaven”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

It is easy to see why this has attained such a level of popularity on this forum. I tried it without booking, relying on it being midweek and struck lucky. I suspect I may not have been so fortunate on a weekend night.

The ambiance is just right. Good sized tables. Linen napkins. Nice decor with some interest. Piano tinkling away in the background. Well presented staff. Clear menu with enough choices but not so many that you know it is coming out of a freezer/microwave.

The bread that came without any order was fresh and light and probably the best I have ever tasted. Apparently it is made each afternoon ready for the evening service. My asparagus and smoked sea trout starter was nice and had a lovely salad on the side. The lamb was also a triumph and is said to be locally sourced. The strawberry mouse with filo-pastry,meringue and vanilla ice-cream was not as I expected a type of Eton-mess, had rather less meringue than I expected and had strawberry ice-cream rather than vanilla ice- cream. But it was refreshing and well received.

The drinks feature a number of locally sourced beers from micro-breweries and I found the Green Daemon lager very acceptable and at £4 for 500 ml, good value.

In short a lovely place with very good food and drink. I will definitely go again.

• Visited April 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Redhill, United Kingdom
“One of the best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

As visitors over the weekend, we booked early (necessary as owner of B&B we were staying in had tried to book on the day without success).

Quite an unassuming, understated restaurant, tables a good distance apart (too far?). Really didn't expect the amazing flavours from the very fresh produce served up. I had a kind of fish platter for starters which was the size of a main course but full of beautifully presented fish from smoked salmon, whitebait, and mackerel etc. The flavours were incredible. My wife had a range of fresh pork for main course which was fantastic (I took some of hers) and my chicken was excellent.

So 10 out of 10 for flavours. Quite rich, which meant we were too full for desserts! And the service was excellent in an unobtrusive and friendly way. One of the best restaurants I have been to.

• Visited April 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“Great lunch menu”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014 via mobile

Excellent service. Veggie tart was very tasty. Pork shoulder was nice but not excellent. Orange burnt cream was yummy, brownie was ok. Good value menu and good quality local produce.

Visited May 2014
London, United Kingdom
“Food was OK”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014

After having visited Deesons a few time now, the food doesn't 'WOW' me, twice now what has been described on the menu hasn't been on the plate. I feel it is overpriced for what is actually served, although service is excellent.

• Visited May 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Dagenham, United Kingdom
“british cuisin at its,worse”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2014

sorry to say being an angliophibe I was very disappointed with the food.. Starters of potted rabbit very stringy then followed by main of pork loin with roasted veg.. which was extremely poor.. should of been pork loin but more like pork belly... very fatty.. veg discribed as roasted but under cooked.. did point this out when asked if meal ok.. replaced wiith veg that was cooked but very salty....
then we had pudding of lemon drizzle cake with blackcurrant sorbet which was frozen with ice particles.. £77 for sunday roast with wine.. could do better at a carvery..... staff execellent...
might be a one off.. .. but extremely dissapointed....

• Visited May 2014