“Very nice stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Little Span Farm

Little Span Farm
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Isle of Wight
Little Span Farm
You added Little Span Farm to your Saves list
Rew Lane | Wroxall, PO38 3AU, England   |
Ranked #186 of 252 Isle of Wight B&B and Inns
London
“Very nice stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2012

A very nice farm with four lovely dogs. I went there with my family and dog and we really enjoyed it! It's not very luxurious but it's exactly what it says on the website. It's situated close to Ventnor,a seaside holiday resort and there is a convenience shop just down the road. We were actually upgraded to a bigger house because the one we were going to be in was a bit small. Overall very nice place to explore the Island, but for all you internet worshipers out there, there's no wifi.

Room Tip: If you want a tv, take the bigger house called Stable Cottage.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Carnmoney, Co. Antrim, Northern Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2012

Stayed here one Easter, have only just discovered Little Span on trip advisor, so thought I would write a review.
We stayed for an easter break several years ago, in the converted barn with spiral iron staircase up to the living room and kitchen (bedrooms were downstairs). Flip me, what a place, as soon as I arrived I knew I would never be back. The location itself is gorgeous, up a winding lane and looking out over the Downs. The farm has an overgrown front garden which I personally found quite charming and 'Secret Garden' style, but the barn didn't excite me quite so much. First off, the interiors were quite dated, and some of the walls were exposed stone. But the real horror of the week's stay was the presence of these horrible big black house spiders. My word, they appeared everywhere. In the hallway, sitting up in their thick webs, in the living room, sitting on the wooden beams (I discovered one right beside me one night to my utter horror), in the bedrooms (my sister and I could not stay in our room at night and so made our dad swap with us). Seriously, they were awful. I dreaded going back to the barn at the end of each day, and I couldn't sleep at night lest some eight-legged freak was walking up the duvet to my face!! (OK it was a barn but still.....ewww). Cleanliness was also a bit of an issue, fair enough the obvious living areas were alright, but on the last day my brother pulled his bunk bed away from the wall and the amount of dust, rubbish, mould, old socks etc that lay on the floor was absolutely stinking. We left the bed aside so that the owners could realise that it hadn't been cleaned in years. The Isle of Wight itself is gorgeous, we have been 3 times (different locations), and utterly love it. So quaint and other-worldy. Lots of lovely villages and beaches, as well as THE ISLE OF WIGHT DONKEY SANCTUARY which does wonderful work rescuing and rehoming hundreds of donkeys!!! <3 If you are planning a trip to the Isle Of Wight please visit the donkeys. One final weird point, when we were there, Little Span Farm was the location of the island's apparently 'only animal crematorium' which was a bit freaky, seeing as my sister found a headless half-burnt cat in the field behind our barn one night (before running into the man of the farm). The next day the cat was no-where to be seen. Overall I wouldn't rave about this accommodation, although I'm sure back-packers, hostellers etc would like it well enough. Let's just put it this way, it's more shabby than chic.

Room Tip: Beware of spiders
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Derby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2012

We visited the Isle of Wight for the first time this week, my partner and I and the 2 kids, stayed in the brewhouse, a converted outbuilding on Little Span Farm. It was everything we imagined it would be as we have stayed on farms before. The stone cottage was full of charm with some modern twists like the spiral staircase (pun not intended), it was clean and pleasant. The farm is a working farm run by Felicity who made us feel very welcome and at home to roam. We had a full english breakfast with cereal and toast served in our cottage every morning, what a treat! We were quite taken with Felicity and her 4 very friendly and very obedient working sheep dogs, she was a great help in planning our days out. We all really enjoyed our stay and will definitely return!

Room Tip: If you have children then remember to take some playing cards and board games, the wifi was hit and...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2011

Stayed for one night. Really easy to find, and easy parking.
Room was clean, well stocked and warm. Television with freeview in the main room.

Breakfast was good - plenty of tea/toast/cereal and a cooked breakfast all included in our price. Excellent host and kid friendly too!

Would highly recommend to others looking for a pleasent and enjoyable stay.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Somerset
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2011

We stayed in a self-catering cottage at Little Span Farm a year ago and reading the reviews here I felt I really ought to add my voice, partly in defence of the place, if nothing else! I feel a bit guilty giving it an average rating, to be honest and would actually recommend it as a place to stay. Yes, parts are dated, it is a working farm and possibly it could be cleaner, BUT (I felt it justified the capitals!) compared to places on the island that are 21st century, packed full of mod-cons and probably wouldn't even know what a cobweb looked like - it's cheap and good value at that. You get what you pay for, pure and simple. It's a great location, lovely and quiet with plenty of outside space to explore. The kitchen has all the gadgets your average family could ever need on holiday, the beds were comfortable and the bathrooms had decent showers. It was a tad frayed and grubby around the edges but we weren't paying top dollar at the end of the day and we had a thoroughly nice time. P.S. We didn't visit in November, we visited in the summer but that wasn't an option on the drop down menu!

Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
Eversley
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2011

Stayed in the Harvesters Cottage, big comfy bed and room, our dog slept downstairs and although at first nervous of the owners dogs he soon settled in with them, and he enjoyed the walks in the nearby fields that Felicity let us use. Mum stayed in the main house and had a lovely room with shower and thoroughly enjoyed her stay. Felicity was very informative of good pubs to eat in and 'doggie friendly' beaches to visit and very interesting to talk to. Good base to visit the island and very nice rural easy going place to stay, overall can reccomend it! Next year hope to book the Stable Cottage so Mum can stay in with us, she is a bit nervous of the spiral staircase being 88 years old though!
Tina Heffernan

Room Tip: The best properties look to be Stable Cottage and Brewers Cottage but they are self-catering and Har...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Guildford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2011

We were a party of 5adults; 3 sisters and 2 partners away for a week exploring the island. This excellent accommodation proved to be a great base for us and provided a relaxing atmosphere for the girls to catch up on things. Whilst at first it was confusing living in an " upside down house" it was very well arranged. There was a large lounge upstairs with plenty of comfortable armchairs and settees, and the kitchen was well equipped with a large round table for meals. There was even a dishwasher to avoid the usual arguments over whose turn it was to wash up. The bedrooms each had a wash basin with the main bedroom having an ensuite shower. This certainly helped in the mornings with 5 adults all trying to get ready. The main bathroom would have benefitted from a fixed shower unit, but the hand held shower did the job. All in all an excellent self contained self catering cottage. By the way, don't worry about the dogs when you drive up to the farm; they will immediately roll over for their tummies to be tickled

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Been to Little Span Farm? Share your experiences!