“Quirky building delightful service” 4 of 5 stars

The White Hart Hotel
23 - 25 Holywell Hill, St. Albans AL1 1EZ , England   |
Ranked #7 of 16 St. Albans B&B and Inns
Neston
“Quirky building delightful service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

This is a very, very old and well maintained hotel. It becomes more old fashioned the higher you climb the staircase, culminating in an Alice in Wonderland experience. Service is superb on main desk, restaurant and bar. Breakfast A1 too! Recommended.

Stayed October 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Horley
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

WE won a prize for 2 nights in this hotel together with a ghost talk and chocolate sampling.
The hotel was olde world complete with a suit of armour in the hall - very quaint - the breakfasts and dinner were excellent. No ghosts presented themselves unfortunately. The talk was enjoyable and the chocolate sampling more enjoyable.
The rooms were comfortable and the owners helped to make the visit enjoyable.
St Albans exceeded our expectations by a mile. its somewhere we wouldn't normally have gone but there's a lot of history, a fantastic cathedral (one of the largest if not the largest in UK). A really nice market town with lots of shops and good restaurants.

Room Tip: room 15 gets most ghost visits, room 8 should be avoided as its in need of renovation. All the other...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Southampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

Beautiful place to stay. Full of wood paneling and beams, superb ambiance in this quaint hotel. A warm welcome was received on arrival, the bedroom with large en suite was perfect. We had lunch, dinner and breakfast in the hotel, don't miss out the food is superb, hats off to the chef! Service was faultless at all times. I cannot recommend this hotel enough.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Isle of Wight
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

Perfect location just off the centre of this bustling market city.
Olde Worlde ambience in keeping with its environment.
Short bus ride, seven minutes, from the city train station.
Comfortable room, usual facilities.
Excellent food , both pub grub and highly commendable restaurant.
Good base for sightseeing in Hertfordshire.
Free Wi-Fi throughout.u

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Croxley Green, null, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

My partner and I stayed for just one night at the White Hart Hotel and I really cannot praise it enough. The place itself is charming, historic, quirky and full of character. The room we stayed in was beautiful - mixing modern amenities with it's aged, rustic charm. The room boasted tea and coffee making facilities, a large TV, a beautiful en suite and the largest, most comfortable bed I have ever slept in.

The food was absolutely stunning and, considering the quality of the menu, very reasonably priced. We had 3 courses each plus drinks and our meal came to little under 30 quid each - very impressed. Breakfast in the morning was also very good - full English plus endless tea/coffee, toast and cereals and all for just an extra 8 quid on top of the price of the room.

What impressed me most about this place though wasn't the history or the character of the building (though they are most certainly of note) but rather the attentiveness of the staff. In particular I'd just like to mention the manager, Adam - possibly the most amiable chap I've ever encountered and a real credit to the place.

I'd wholly recommend this place to anyone. We'll certainly be staying there again.

Kent, England.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

My partner and I stayed here last night (18th Sept 2013) and honestly, though we were staying due to rather unhappy circumstances, it was the best place we could have chosen. As soon as we arrived we were given a warm welcome and told to feel at home. The history and character of the building hits you as soon as you walk through the door (unless you've noticed it from the outside, which we didn't as we actually managed to walk past it while trying to find it on google maps!) The hallway up to our room included a beautiful wooden rickety and creaky staircase which oozed character and the tiny doors and low ceilings really rammed home the age of the building - this was made for people much shorter than we are in the 21st century - perfect for me at 5ft3, not so much for my 6ft partner but he still thought it was beautiful. Our room was... Well it was beautiful, but I felt it looked too modern and out of keeping with the rest of the building but I'm very fussy when it comes to things like that, my partner thought it was perfect. There was a HUGE television on the wall, a dressing table with tea and coffee making facilities and complimentary biscuits, a table in the window with a menu on it (we were informed that they provide room service but never got the chance to use it) a wardrobe, 2 arm chairs and 2 bedside tables either side of the MASSIVE bed. And the bed... Oh it was the most comfortable thing I've laid on for as long as I can remember. The pillows and duvet were so soft that after writing this, I'm going to try and find out how to get some for myself! The en suit was very modern but also very beautiful - it did remind me a little of a roman bath so it was still quite in keeping with the whole city. The shower was over the bath and it was lovely - the perfect temperature and just the thing I needed after a 3 hour train journey and a walk all over the city. We could have done with a few more towels (there were 2 large ones and 4 small ones so enough for people who use them normally) but that's only because I tend to wrap myself up in a cocoon of them after a shower, leaving my partner to shiver himself dry! We ate in the restaurant and had a dish from all 3 courses, each one was the finest cuisine we'd ever eaten, and the service was brilliant. We marveled at Adam's (the bar manager) ability to appear out of nowhere like a magician but his attentiveness really made our evening wonderful - we were treated like honoured guests. In the morning we had breakfast in the restaurant too and despite the early hour of dining, the meal was just as perfect as the meal the night before and included as many refills of orange juice and tea or coffee and cereal as we wanted. I can do nothing but rave about how fantastic this hotel is, from the atmosphere to the service to the food, in my opinion nothing bad can be said. It was the perfect place for a history fanatic like myself. :D

Milton Keynes
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

We only stayed one night but we would thoroughly recommend the White Hart Hotel. A modern room in an antique building is just what we were looking for. The White Hart has bags of character and the manager even carried our bags for us! It was welcome as the walk to the room was winding along uneven floors and around many corners. Such a contrast to the regimented layout of a modern budget establishment. So many hotels neglect the bed itself but this one was very comfy and the duvet and pillows were excellent. The only downside was they had run out of haddock for breakfast - what is with hotels, is there a haddock shortage?!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The White Hart Hotel? Share your experiences!