“lovely hotel but...” 3 of 5 stars

kent
“lovely hotel but...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

Stayed for one night.
The hotel is lovely and the food is good BUT there are room defects.
I was told I had a superior room, however the curtains let in loads of light at top as there is a gap between rail and curtains, so was woken at around 4.30am. This was not so bad as it took around 2 hours to fill the bath!!
Also the shower screen on the bath is ill fitting allowing water to gather onto bathroom floor.
Iron in the room was faulty but promptly replaced and the TV went wrong but again was promptly repaired, so service was good.
I actually think that when this room was modernised the standards were not adhered to and they should be - it seems as if its just shoddy workmanship. without the hotel putting it right.
If you are at the hotel and want to sleep well in the summer do not get this room.

Room Tip: Get a room that has correctly fiutting curtains and has a bath that fills up quickly!!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Alessandro C, General Manager at Sopwell House, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor following your last visit.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed the ambience of the hotel and sampled food in our award winning Restaurant. However I am disappointed to read that you did not have a good night’s rest due to difficulties with your bedroom curtains.

Whilst the majority of the hotel has already been refurbished, there are still a small number of bedrooms that are still to be completed. However, that does not justify the issues you have described and therefore in order to investigate your comments in full, I would be most grateful if you would contact me directly at enquiries@sopwellhouse.co.uk in order we can identify which room you stayed in and take immediate corrective action.

Thank you once again for providing your feedback and I look forward to hearing from you shortly.

Warm regards,

Alessandro Convertino

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
Galway, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

We attended a wedding at this hotel in late April and overall had a good time there. I'm not certain but I probably wouldn't visit as a guest: it's very geared towards weddings, banquets, and... troops of women in white bathrobes visiting the spa ;-)

Having said that, our wedding meal was consumed almost concurrently with a large charity banquet in another room and the food and service were superb. There is also a garden area suitable for photos.

There are tons of places to sit and eat/ consume and they're tastefully decorated with a good ambiance. Some of them are expensive but it's all well marked in the menus. It is a bit of a rabbit warren of a place, all the extensions are well built but I'm not sure that the whole is the sum of the parts.

The pricing for us as part of the wedding party was reasonable. A nice stay, we had lots of good laughs with friends and the staff were very on the ball and friendly.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor, following your visit to us in April.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your time with us attending the wedding celebrations in one of our banqueting suites and I have passed on your kind comments to the conference and banqueting team, commending them for their superb service.

We are very proud that Sopwell House is such a versatile destination, ideal not only for weddings, conferences and spa breaks but also perfect for Afternoon Teas, fabulous meals in our Restaurants or just to get away from it all in the 12 acres of our tranquil and beautiful gardens.

Our team of dedicated staff throughout the hotel ensures that all our guests are well taken care of, whatever their pleasure.

I do hope you will decide to return some time in the future and give us the pleasure of welcoming you back to Sopwell House.

Stone, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

Second time I've stayed here, it's a fantastic location, out the way but also close enough to London.
I stayed in one of the apartments rather than the main hotel. Very clean tidy and in great condition. Split into lounge/ kitchen including microwave, coking rings, fridge sink etc, lounge suite tv etc. the bedroom was tasteful and of good quality. The bathroom large bath/ shower, separate walk in shower etc.
I had an hour in the gym and spa, again everything you would want, robes, towels. The equipment is comprehensive and of good quality. The spa is immaculate, hottest steam room ever, great sauna, bubble pool and main swimming pool, loads off relaxing chairs.
There are 2 restaurants, the posh on, very nice, a more relaxing brasserie. food in both is great .
All the staff are respectful, helpful and polite.
The atmosphere is really relaxing in the hotel and its a joy to stay.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your wonderful review on Trip Advisor after your recent stay at Sopwell House which was an absolute delight to read from beginning to end.

Our fantastic team takes such pride in exceeding our guest expectations and so I am always delighted and encouraged when a guest takes the time to provide such overwhelming feedback.

I am pleased to read that you were impressed by the modernised luxury décor of your bedroom which we have worked hard to perfect in recent months, as well as the tranquillity of our spa and our well equipped gym.

Thank you once again for your lovely review and I look forward to warmly welcoming you back to the hotel again very soon.

Alessandro Convertino, General Manager
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

This is the best hotel we have ever been to. The most beautiful flowers ,plants and gardens; the ambiance of the hotel; the funishings are so tasteful and when we opened the bedroom door we have never seen such a magnificent room. Even the trees out side at night, which were floodight, were so lovely that we took a photograph. There is an air of tranquility about the hotel and our son and daughter-in-law are staying with you on Saturday night. Sopwell House is "SIMPLY THE BEST"

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Alessandro C, General Manager at Sopwell House, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post such a fabulous review on Trip Advisor following your recent visit to us.

Here at Sopwell House, we take great pride in going above and beyond guest expectations and delivering the very best service and facilities possible and so I am delighted that came across.

I was particularly pleased to read that you spent time admiring the beautiful grounds of the hotel. With all of the flowers and plants in bloom, I agree that they particularly splendid at this time of year.

I was also delighted you enjoyed the luxury of your bedroom, particularly as these have recently been refurbished.

Thank you once again and I do look forward to welcoming you back again soon. In the meantime we will endeavour to make your son and daughter-in-law’s stay with us, as idyllic and memorable as yours.

Best regards

Leeds, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Sopwell House. The room, especially the bed was very comfortable. The staff very helpful, although in the Lounge service was a little slow at times, but we were in no rush, so it didn't really matter! Food is very good indeed and the pool is fantastic. Only complaint was the weather! poured it down the whole time so unable to really get out into the gardens!

We are going back again in July for my 60th Birthday so hope this time the weather is good and are looking forward to our return.

Room Tip: Ask for the Executive rooms, away from the lift.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a wonderful review on Trip Advisor following your recent visit.

Here at Sopwell House, we pride ourselves in exceeding guest expectations and I will most certainly pass on your kind comments to the whole team.

I was especially delighted to read that you found your bedroom and indeed your bed very comfortable and I am just sorry that we couldn’t do anything about this weather this time!

Thank you once again and I look forward to welcoming you back again next month for your 60th Birthday celebrations.

London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

My yearly spa trip with three friends is something we all look forward to. We have been to a number of similar hotels over the UK in the past few years so have a lot to compare this hotel to.

Firstly the positive- Sopwell house is a beautiful hotel and the spa services were great. All of our spa treatments were of a high standard and the therapists were really friendly. I had one of the best facials I have ever had. The pool and the outside sunbathing areas including the gardens were really also lovely with plenty of sunbeds. The one night stay including 3 course dinner, two spa treatments as well as breakfast and a buffet lunch was very reasonable.

However there were a number of service issues which left an overall impression the hotel was disorganised and not customer focused. Firstly when we arrived and had lunch in the brassiere our food was brought out after quite a long wait but no napkins etc were brought out until we asked. During the evening meal the staff were friendly but basically they all seemed to serve all the tables which meant that when it got to desert and we asked for another couple of minutes to pick something we then could not get the attention of anyone to actually place an order. We eventually ordered coffees which came without milk. It took 15 minutes for the waiter to bring some over and he didn't even apologise. Finally we were not given a bill for the bottle of wine we had but had given our room numbers to the waiter on arrival ( and the meal was included in the price of the room). We assumed it would just be added to our room but instead the reception called my friends' room after 11pm and was rude about the fact we had walked away from the table without paying for the meal, basically suggesting that we had tried to not pay. Given that they knew our rooms and we had given them a credit card for incidentals it was completely unnecessary to be calling at that hour. If they want people to pay at the table they just need to make that clear and provide a bill.

The buffet lunch food was ok but not great- but given how much we had paid that was not the end of the world. However, once again the service was quite poor. The brassiere was well staffed and yet no one asked us if we wanted a drink when arrived and when we got the attention of the waiter he plonked a menu on the table and then didn't come back to actually take the order. Eventually we found another waiter who was happy to take the order! Most of the staff stood by the entrance showing people to tables but not asking if they wanted a drink. There was tap water on the table but given that the table next to us were a hen party I think they were missing a trick!

The general impression was that no one was in charge of the large number of staff that were working in the brassiere. I'm sure the hotel could deliver a better service and save some staffing costs by having a smaller team with better leadership/ defined roles.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to post a constructive review on Trip Advisor following your recent visit.

I am pleased that you enjoyed the relaxing treatments and surroundings and service in our spa and thank you for taking the time to comment on your package.

I am sorry however, to read that you did not enjoy your dining experience in the Brasserie over the course of your stay. I would like to investigate your comments in more detail and would therefore be grateful if you would be kind enough to send me your contact and booking details via enquiries@sopwellhouse.co.uk.

Thank you once again and I look forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,

London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

My sister and I came here as a birthday treat and it was far from the relaxing break I had hoped for. On the 2nd day of my stay here, my earrings were stolen from the room. The hotel staff were extremely unhelpful and the level of customer service in this place is disgusting. I reported the incident as soon as I noticed they were missing (coincidently not long after the cleaner had been in the room) and the lady on reception assured me that the manager would contact me within an hour to take some details. I waited in my room and received a phone call 2 hours later to say the incident was being investigated and the manager would contact me in the morning before I left. The next day, I did not hear from anyone. I had to go down to the reception myself and by this point I was extremely frustrated! The front desk manager called the police for me and did nothing further to assist me or even offer compensation for my loss! The police informed me that there are no cameras in the hotel and the only way to detect who had been in the room is by identifying the key card of who entered the room last. The police also informed me that this is not the first complaint that they have had about the hotel and it is known for its unhelpful staff. Hopefully, the issue will be resolved soon but that does not compensate for the loss of a sentimental birthday present. I have been to many spa hotels and nothing like this has ever happened to me and I have never had any complaints. The prices for spa treatments are ridiculous! You pay £30 for a basic manicure here and if you go to a local nail shop you can pay less than half the price for exactly the same thing! If you are looking for a luxury spa retreat, I would suggest going to Careys Manor in the New Forest.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Alessandro C, General Manager at Sopwell House, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Dear Guest

I was most surprised to read your recent review especially as I have not had any contact from you personally to date.

Of course any allegation of theft must be taken very seriously indeed and I can confirm that the hotel did indeed contact the police following the report of your lost earrings.

I was shocked however to read in your review you immediately expected compensation when reporting your loss which does, sadly, lead me to believe that perhaps the claim may be untrue and the review is perhaps fabricated, particularly as you make recommendations on behalf of another property.

That said, fortunately, due to our sophisticated key card system, any room access is recorded and therefore we will easily be able to identify and question any staff that may have entered your room and I am totally satisfied the Police will investigate accordingly and come to the correct conclusions that we can then act upon. Please rest assured that if there has been any wrong doing by a member of Sopwell House staff, they will be dealt with by the Police.

I would, however, like to assure any concerned readers of this review that all our bedrooms have secure safes for guest use. In addition, we have a very active 'lost property' department at Sopwell House which handles many very high value items left behind by guests in our bedrooms which are handed in and returned to their rightful owners by the same staff that are being accused of theft.

I do sincerely hope your earrings have merely been mislaid and they turn up safe and sound but if I can be of any assistance to you personally in the meantime, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Regards

Alessandro Convertino

Been to Sopwell House? Share your experiences!