“Just went in for a drink” 4 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Fore Street, Hertford SG14 1BZ, England   |
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Hertford
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Hertford, United Kingdom
“Just went in for a drink”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

I am local to Hertford so I didnt stay there. I have been here many times. I wanted a local McMulens Ale but as I paid by Debit Card I had to spend over £ 5. I also ordered a pint of Diet Coke and it came to Over £ 6, I suppose because its a hotel. Nice Ale. Olde Worde compared to other boutique hotels in Hertford.

• Stayed September 2012
Mullen1827, Owner at Salisbury Arms Hotel, responded to this review, September 19, 2012
Thank you for your review Hertsman! Great to hear from the locals and your appreciation for real ales. It is standard practice to accept payment by card for orders only of the value of £5 or more, however hope that our service justified any pricing differences you may have noticed compared to other Hertford establishments you may have visited. As for the Olde, we do like to retain and maintain our warm, traditional look, The Salisbury having been a resident building since the 18th century. We look forward to welcoming you again very soon! Regards, Sharon (The Manager)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Adelaide, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

I stayed here for two nights at the end of my European trip, before getting a flight to Australia. The staff were very helpful, and although I only wanted a standard double, as none were available, I was offered an executive double at the lower rate. Very reasonable, I thought. The room was spacious, comfortable and well-equipped. Lots of old English character. The buffet breakfast was a bit sparse, but the cooked breakfast was excellent.

My only gripe was with the car parking. The hotel advertises itself as the only hotel in Hertford having a car park. In fact the car park is not large enough to accommodate all the hotel guests. So, if there are no spaces when you arrive, hard luck. I felt therefore that the advertising was a little disengenuous.

If I had the opportunity, I would likely stay here again.

Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Mullen1827, Gerente at Salisbury Arms Hotel, responded to this review, August 10, 2012
Dear Paul,
Thank you for sharing your recent visit and very valuable feedback.
We understand the limited car parking is an inconvenience to a majority of our guests, unfortunately we are limited and can only suggest the nearest pay & display.
Our statement about being the only Hotel in Hertford with a car park remains true, however not as accommodating as we would like it to be.

It is great to hear that you would consider staying with us again here at The Salisbury and we would be glad to welcome you back in the near future.

Kind Regards,
Sharon (The Manager)
Birmingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

Firstly I should point out that I have only stayed at the Salisbury Arms on business and this may have a bearing in the room(s) I have been given.

For a town centre hotel this is in a great location and has loads of character. It is an old building but is clean and pleasant.

Food is very good and reasonable value in comparison with local resturaunts and bars.

They do have a selection of draft beers which is a plus.

I have only stayed in the newer part of the hotel buildings, on the top floor, and it does feel as if you should have hired a Sherpa to assist you in getting to your room. The rooms on this floor are small and I would suggest you consider taking a room facing outside and in so doing avoid a view of the airconditioning units. I'ma assuming the rooms in the original hotel building are a lot better and more easily accessed.

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms on the top floor of the newer building.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Brighton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012 via mobile

Just to clarify - this is an old historic building in the centre of Hertford. I'm not sure who a books hotel in the middle of a town centre and then complains about having some outside noise (see below). That seems a little crazy to me. If you want complete silence may I suggest a modern hotel with no character, or one built in the middle of nowhere. Yes, you do some some noise from the street and the rooms are a little old fashioned and a little small, however (and its a big however) this is an amazing hotel for the price. I paid less than fifty pound for my room. For that, I got a small single room with everything I could possible need - flat screen telly, free tea, coffee, biscuits etc, free wifi, toiletries, the list goes on. Add to that, breakfast is included. Cereal, fruit juices, tea, coffee and a full english - fabulous. Oh, I mustn't forget the staff, who were lovely and welcoming - thank you. They say you get what you pay for - I felt I got a bargain for what I paid. Highly recommended for people with realistic expectations.

Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Kettering, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

We stayed here for 1 night. The building is very oldy worldy, its charming but a little tired looking. Our room was very small. Although the room was clean the furniture was very battered looking and the bedding was not very comfortable.
The room was well equipt with flat screen TV, trouser press and tea/coffee facilities. The bathroom had a large shower but no bath.
The staff in the hotel were very helpful and freindly and the food was very good indeed. We had lunch in the bar and ordered two of their Deli platters which were excellent and very reasonably priced. The drinks however were very expensive £4.40 for a beer.
I wouldn't stay at the hotel again but if I was in Hertford I would go there to eat.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Cape Town
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2012

We stayed here for two nights on a recent visist to the UK. We have on previous occasions had drinks here and love the atmosphere of the pub and the lovely building. We decided to stay here as it is central and you can walk to all the little shops in Hertford. Unfortunately there was mix up with our reservation and instead of an executive double room we were offered the standard double; granted it was at a good rate and we were offered a free lunch to the value of 10 pounds. However, the room was a bit small and the bed really uncomfortable. It had no duvet, only a sheet and very scratchy blanket, so we did not sleep well. On both mornings when we arrived at breakfast the continental breakfast was finished (no bread or patries, no juice, no yoghurt...) and when we asked for it to be refilled they said they can't as it was finished (this an hour before breakfast service was to end! The cooked breakfast was good though. All in all we were not too impressed with the accommodation and will not stay here again but we will be back to eat and have a drink at the pub.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

Stayed here a few times while visiting family,lovely rooms,great bar and magnificent breakfast.

Stayed January 2012, traveled with family

Been to Salisbury Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!