“Fantastic Hotel and Staff” 5 of 5 stars

Hertford House
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Fore Street, Hertford, England   |
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Hertford
Exmouth, United Kingdom
“Fantastic Hotel and Staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014

I stayed here in April 14 as part of a business trip. The staff were fantastic and, as a lone female traveller, I was made to feel welcome.

Breakfast is the best I've had in a hotel, with both choice, uniqueness and quality.

My room was excellent and I really enjoyed my stay.

The staff are what make a hotel, and the quirky, classy atmosphere, combined with amazing staff are a true winner. Thank you.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014

As we were attending a party in the hotel it made sense to spend the night rather than drive home. Good sized room, comfortable bed and a great breakfast in the morning, just what we were looking for.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2014

Myself and colleague stayed at Hertford House as we were meeting a client locally - Reception were very friendly and you really did feel welcome upon check in.
The bar is very pleasant and I am sure that its loud and bustling at weekends but it was very relaxed and enjoyable on a Monday evening.The rooms are immaculate high standard of everything and all very very clean.
I didn't eat but after having possibly the best hotel breakfast ever I really wish that I had taken the evening menu.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

Stayed on a Saturday night in a standard double.

No complaints at all. Room was clean and tidy. The new girl on check-in desk was super polite and very helpful.

Location is right where you want to be in town. Bar downstairs is buzzing.

Late check out included at no extra cost and full English breakfast was delicious which was brought to our room.

If you're out in Hertford town this hotel is perfect.

Will definitely stay here again, lovely hotel and great value for money and a great service!

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Brighton and Hove, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

A friend hired the basement venue for a birthday party and was offered discounted rates on the rooms for guests to stay the night. It was great having everything in one place, so we were able to party hard, take a breather in the ground floor bar or outside in the courtyard garden and, after the celebrations, it was just a short way to bed. I found the staff to be friendly and helpful. I appreciated the full English breakfast the following morning, which was included in the room rate :)

• Stayed April 2014
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2014

I stayed here for business for one night and had a restful, comfortable and enjoyable stay. Most of the staff were friendly and helpful, the room was clean, light/airy and I had a sound night's sleep. The breakfast the next morning was a highlight - delicious! I had a vegetarian cooked breakfast and everything on the plate was fresh, perfectly cooked and tasty - miles above the standard of most hotels' breakfasts.

The hotel is currently being renovated so I'm sure it'll be nicer soon and any very minor disruptions in service (e.g. room service) will be very temporary.

I stayed on a Monday night, so no bar noise that day. It wouldn't be somewhere I'd stay at the weekend because of the noise but for a week night business trip it was great.

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2014

Apologies for the late review but I had to leave some feedback. I booked this hotel as part of an Amazon deal and until I checked into the hotel I was not made aware of the loud music going on until 2am! I'd booked this hotel to have a relaxing weekend away so upon check in I was really upset to be told of the loud music that would be going on until the early hours. As it was, me and my partner (who are light sleepers) were both kept up until 1am listening to the loud thumping of the music and the general noise outside.
It's a shame because the room was lovely and in a great location so this hotel has the potential to be brilliant. The next morning we headed down to breakfast, and I have to say the food was brilliant - and the wide variety was superb. This could be a really great hotel but with such a noisy atmosphere going on outside I would not recommend this hotel for the weekend (mid-week perhaps?) and I wouldn't stay again.
We also had dinner at the hotel (as part of the deal) and again the food was absolutely brilliant and the service - we didn't stay in the restaurant/bar but we would certainly come back here for a meal! Before I ate at the hotel I was quite happy to leave and never come back but the food was so brilliant that despite myself, I would happily come back here and eat anytime!!
Overall a terrible hotel; great for lively stays but not relaxing get-aways which is what we wanted - unless this is mid-week break....but an absolutely amazing restaurant and bar downstairs! It's a shame they can't sound-proof the rooms as this could potentially be a fantastic hotel. Only then would I consider staying over/recommending to friends.

Room Tip: Request the quietest spot in the hotel - if there is one!